Cartomancy and Tarot

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

purple_dust

Cartomancy and Tarot

Post by purple_dust » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Get Free Cartomancy Readings Now!!
Is there any way to "translate" your Tarot knowledge into the simple playing cards??

I've used the free program found on this site and the meanings doesn't quite match.

Apart from the outcome...  I've asked whether I wourld end up with someone (yes, love is the beginning of my curiosity  :smt007 hehe) and while on the playing cards they indicated a "new romance" the Tarot card indicated that my intentions were nothing but selfish (The Devil card reversed).

I'd love to hear from you!

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:09 pm

:smt017 Mmm... I have not had much experience trying to read regular playing cards: they look so flat and meaningless to me after looking at all the beautiful decks I read with... In any case, I have a few friends who always read with them and I have not been able to see any coincidences in meanings, so if there is a way to translate, it is probably not too straightforward.

However, one thing I learned in Tarot is that we are extremely contradictory creatures, so there is nothing strange about seeking and finding a new romance and doing it for selfish reasons. In fact, you could have gotten both meanings -plus a lot more- in a single Tarot reading.

Have you asked yourself what your intentions really are?  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

lylakpetals

Post by lylakpetals » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:28 pm

Regular playing cards rely more on combinations than tarot cards.

Tarot cards are more ambiguous and deep than regular cards... (because there are more in the pack 72 vs. 52) Regular cards are more specific and straight foward.  Regular cards don't have major arcana, so they seem to deal less with soul growth and soul learning, and more with daily practical matters.
Trying to practice as much as possible to get better and better at palmistry

purple_dust

Post by purple_dust » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:10 am

thank you so much for your reply.  Yeah, I guess there's no "story behind" regular playing cards.   I remember how they were useful though, when I was reading for my friends at school and someone came by we just pretended we were playing.

Regarding my intentions... I don't feel like I'm being selfish because I really want to "connect" with this guy, however.. there's always a little vanity as if proving yourself that you can end up with a nice guy.

hmmm...  or perhaps it is because I'm being more girly than usual so I can melt his heart (he's a Cancer)...  I'm not faking that I'm anything that I'm not :) on the contrary, I can be more like I am and step out of my mask when I'm with him...
---------------------------------------------------
Everyday is like Sunday... well except for Blue Monday, Ruby Tuesday and Friday I'm in love

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Dont be what you are not Purple Dust... by that I mean, if you want this guy, dont play hard to get. Just be yourself and only then you will find out if this guy is for you.. or cut your losses and move on.. if he is not for you. I think the Devil in a way is indicating that very sort of behaviour ---- bondage, mind games, selfish is fine as we all are, but selfish for the good of all is even better.

From what I have read above, I dont think The Devil has come out for no  reason. I dont fear the Devil card, but it does reflect our state mind and soul. Be gentle to yourself and the Cancerian guy you wish to allure to you.

All the best to you young heart :)

Xia

Post by Xia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Try The Free Playing Cards Divination Readings Now!

Playing cards are based on numerological reasoning, the ones the beginning, the tens the cumulation, and so on, they are easy to read really as long as you remember the basis behind the numbers :)

Xia :o)

mystic67

Just got a book on this

Post by mystic67 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Haven't really read much of it yet. I have a friend who hates card reading because his grandma used to read
playing cards for people. He is "born again" and things all of it evil! Ha! Well he isn't a close friend. :)

solar moon

Post by solar moon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Yeah, they've got a numerological ring to them... there is a cardomancy website - hedge witch or something- that has a nice little rhyme that helps me remember the meanings. I would put a link in but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Lol, that's kind of funny... I don't see why he see's the harm in it :-P

I find playing cards can be extremely useful but they are much more challenging to read than Tarot cards. Originally the gypsies only used card 7 upwards in readings so I really don't think it matters that you can't translate them directly into tarot meaning. There meanings are also effected much more by the cards around them than tarot cards are. playing cards are very precise when it comes to times and health - if you know what you are doing (admittedly I don't half the time). I think in the end they are equal. I'll admit I prefer tarot, they just seem more willing to talk to you.

lilanarchy

Post by lilanarchy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:55 pm

tarot cards can be translated into a regular deck if you wish to use only the major arcana. cups= hearts  wand= diamond sword=spade coin/pentacle=club there is not card for the page of any suit and it focuses more on the path of life instead of indepth reasoning behind things. its more for the advance tarot reader who knows the meaning behind all the cards in the major arcana

Oceanborn

Post by Oceanborn » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm

I have been reading Tarot for about 4 years, and recently found the inclination to learn Cartomancy. I found that there are many systems and interpretation to Cartomancy. Some systems are unlike Tarot, but some the same.

Diamonds = Pentacles
Hearts = Cups
Spades = Swords
Clubs = Wands

The software on this site MB Learn Cartomancy have almost the same interpretation as Tarot Cards. But other Cartomancy systems may not be the same.

Also note there's another divination method called Destiny Cards Although it too uses playing cards, it's different from Cartomancy. Cartomancy is baised on drawing random cards, but Destiny Cards are baised on a calculation system... not unlike numerology.

So it really depends on what school and system you subscribe to.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Guys,

Cartomancy is a different kettle of fish altoghether. I brushed on it, and found it to be "inadequate". Not that it can be seen as a "lower" form of divination, not at all. Solar Moon indicated the link to a numerological system. Should you want to follow that route, it would be a very good idea to study the Tetractus and the paths between the dots. This is obviously linked to Pythagoras, his teachings are very unlike many.

I always travel, or wherever I go, my cards are with me. But, should it happen for me not to have a Tarot deck and be presented with a ordinary deck, i would read it as a Tarot deck, describing only the mundane issues as discussed in yhe Minor Arcanum. Following the route of "numbers" i wonder if it would also have a signicance regarding 2 trumping one and so on up to ten?

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

Return to “Tarot”