Interpretation Based on Deck Used?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

renjer

Interpretation Based on Deck Used?

Post by renjer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi all

A thought just occurred to me. How do you actually come up with an interpretation? Is it entirely based on the deck used for the question? Let's say I'm using the Legacy and someone's using the Rider-Waite and someone else is using the Morgan-Greer. Would all of us interpret differently because we're all having different decks? If that is the case, how would you know which deck to use to answer the question?

otato

Post by otato » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:10 am

That's a good question.

The way I come up with an interpretation is I do my research on each card -- then I try to figure out how exactly the card fits into the scenario being presented. Then I try to look at them as a big picture. If you look at it from the standpoint that, yes, the cards are there, I see them, so they must mean something... well, then you'll probably find it, whatever it means.

Since a lot of decks are variations on Rider Waite in terms of number of cards and basic meanings, I find those pretty fluid in interpretation. They're exchangeable, in a sense. The only thing that can really change is the details in the symbolism -- but usually if you look into it, a lot of it still comes down to the same basic things.

Now - if we're talking about decks that really are different in structure and meaning than R-W, then yeah, I'd say you'd get a different reading in terms of specifics. It's also likely that asking the same question for a second deck will just regurgitate the original reading with the first deck -- it's just not going to look like the same reading because the mediums aren't exactly alike.

It's sort of like, you're cutting this steak. You have a steak knife, and a bread knife. One tool may work better than the other because it's specialized to do so -- but then again, that's not to say the bread knife is useless. It's just being used in the wrong fashion.

Same can be said about what deck you choose, I suppose. But I think the best thing you can do is follow your instincts on the answers to these questions. If it doesn't feel like the right deck for this reading, don't doubt yourself. You're probably right. Just like using the bread knife on your steak =)

Great questions, take care

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi Renjer.

When I stated reading Tarot, I had one book and a different deck. In the book P. Scott Hollander said it is better to have your own interpritations, as how you feel about your cards.

I did that, and now, only use my own interpritations, no matter what deck I use.

Before my absence, I was doing a bit of a tutorial on Tarot. For all the topics you can go to this link:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... .php?f=123

Blessed be

Cascade of Light

Re: Interpretation Based on Deck Used?

Post by Cascade of Light » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:41 pm

renjer wrote:Hi all

A thought just occurred to me. How do you actually come up with an interpretation? Is it entirely based on the deck used for the question? Let's say I'm using the Legacy and someone's using the Rider-Waite and someone else is using the Morgan-Greer. Would all of us interpret differently because we're all having different decks? If that is the case, how would you know which deck to use to answer the question?
I am a deck collector so I am lucky to have a lot of decks to choose from for each reading I do. I usually choose a deck that helps the question to evolve. For instance the Tarot of The New Vision is excellent for sorting out past issues, past lives and backgrounds to situations - the deck is based on the Rider Waite Smith but shows the views of the cards from the back.

For a love reading I might choose a much more gentler deck, perhaps the Shadowscapes or Love Tarot.  For something that needs a rather harder blunt approach perhaps The Thoth and for spiritual questions perhaps teh Glastonbury.

The deck to me is as important as the spread, as each one is unique and has different interpretations for each card.

Cassie :)

Return to “Tarot”