Card Meanings

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Soaring Eagle

Card Meanings

Post by Soaring Eagle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 pm

I have the Vision Quest deck, and I truly enjoy it, or atleast the cards, because I have lost my book.  I have moved a lot in the last 15 years, and in one of my many moves I managed to lose this.  At the time, I wasn't truly concerned because I wasn't using this deck, or any other.  Now I have decided to start using it, and I can't remember what all of the cards mean.

Does anyone know where I could get the meanings, or will I have to buy a new set.  It just seems such a waste, as these cards are practically new, that I won't be able to use them.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:17 am

Hi,

Go to this link for a review on this deck:
http://www.tarotpassages.com/visionquestvsb.htm

In the review they refer to the Thoth deck. The author states that the meanings are very similar.

Blessed be

Soaring Eagle

Post by Soaring Eagle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Thankyou Payewacker.  I wasn't actually sure if the Thoth definitions would work or not, as there is none of the usually symbology in this deck.  Even my training in native symbology doesn't help much as these cards represent many nations of peoples, and is set up for tarot, thus altering the symbology some.

I was able to find the definitions for the Aces and Court cards.  As these are the only ones that don't have keywords, I really was struggling with them.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:29 am

I see now why you like this deck.
I just had a quick look at PW's link and indeed it is a deck pleasing to the eyes and insightful.

Soaring Eagle

Post by Soaring Eagle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Thank you Cedars.  I have greatly enjoyed this deck.  I tried to start with a RiderWaite deck when I first started, and I just couldn't figure it out.  I think it's because the pictures didn't say anything to me.  I have always been fascinated by native teachings (being native may have something to do with this, but I did not grow up around natives) and my mother taught me many things.  I used another deck for several years, and it was okay, I still use it sometimes.  The problems that I've encountered have been that my other deck (the Celtic Dragon) isn't based on one theory, and the Vision Quest, although they say it is Thoth, doesn't carry many symbols that are in other decks.  

Oh well, this deck speaks to me, and that is what matters most.  I truly enjoy readings with this deck, and now that I have the meanings figured out, I am happily doing readings with it.

euro_andres

Post by euro_andres » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 pm

You could also meditate on each card to see what they are telling to you, and create your own significate for each card, off course that would take you some time to figure out the whole deck but eventually you ll end up very linked to the deck and you readings will be more fluent and powerfull.

Soaring Eagle

Post by Soaring Eagle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 am

Thank you for the suggestion.  That is actually what I was doing, but had a little trouble with a couple of the cards.  Now I've got it all figured out.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:11 am

Hi,
Another approach which is purely "theoretical" and little intuition is to place the specific card down and draw 3 cards to establish the meaning.

I did this but used the different suit and the majors seperate to see what the card's significance would be.

example:
Ace of Cups.

I drew 3 pentacle cards, and got the "financial" value of the Ace,
then 3 other Cup cards,
Swords,
Wands and Majors the same.

In some instances I really had to think very hard to derive something simplistic, but it helped, not saying it worked! :smt017 But, it was fun to do!

Blessed be.

Return to “Tarot”