A TUTORIAL FOR THE CELTIC CROSS

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

samantha234

A TUTORIAL FOR THE CELTIC CROSS

Post by samantha234 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:02 am

Hi everyone,
I believe someone has asked me about the celtic cross so i thought i would explain it here. I'll do a reading using the cross and make it easier for all to understand!
The celtic cross consists of ten cards plus a significator. it has categories
which may make it easier for some. You read each card by itself, and then look for combinations, ok? This reading usually goes for about six months.
i am going to try to set it up in an attachment the way the cards are laid out but not sure if it will work, if it doesn't will find a url to show you a picture, ok? Be patient with me, i'm trying! lol

Ok, ready? First, pull out a significator. This is where the court cards come in handy! Mine is the queen of cups, naturally. Set it out in the middle of the table. You can also use another card pertaining to the question... pentacles or the world for money, 10 of cups for wishes, ace of cups for love, etc,etc. it makes the reading stronger.

Now shuffle the cards and ask a question:I'll ask how i will do financially in the next six months! lol cut the deck 3x left to right and pick up left to right.
set aside.

This is the BASIS of the reading, what it is about, this card goes on Top of the significator:
This shows change of residence,( which I have just done)

The next card is what crosses me, it either helps or hinders my progress:
The King of Pentacles
This is a man who is well off who may possibly come in the picture to help me financially.

Place the next card below the other two, this card represents what has happened in the DISTANT PAST.
the card is the LOVERS which is a new relationship or partnership. true

place the next card to the LEFT of the basis, this is what has just come to pass in the last three months:
The page of Cups, which in this case would be a message about friendship and new contacts, also partnerships.( i have joined a commitee with my apartment building and write the newsletter)

so far so good, the next card will be placed above the Basis cards. This is what is coming in the next 3 months, or near future.
i have drawn The Emperor. This is the father card but also represents the government, which since i am a caregiver and unable to work, shows me there is some kind of government aid I can recieve!

place the next card to the RIGHT of the basis cards, this will complete the cross. The next card drawn will happen in 3-6 mths time or the distant future. I have drawn the wheel of fortune! Things will improve for me financially in the next six months!

The next 4 cards will be placed in a row next to the cross vertically. The 7th card will be placed at the bottom. This is
WHAT YOU FEAR. the card is the PAGE OF PENTACLES upside down. The fear of news of rejection and disappointment.This does not mean it will happen, it is only what you fear at the time.

The next card is placed above that one. it represents FRIENDS AND FAMILIES OPINIONS. I have pulled the FOUR OF PENTACLES. FRIENDS AND FAMILIES OPINIONS are that i am holding tightly to what i have, and budgeting wisely.

The next card  is placed above that one, and it stands for your HOPES AND DREAMS. i have drawn THE ACE OF PENTACLES. This means that my hopes are for a new beginning financially!

The last card is the OUTCOME OF THE READING. i have drawn the HANGED MAN. I will still be in suspension financially so it will take longer than the six months. well, could have been worse! lol

I hope this has helped and now and again i will post other spreads on the forum for you to try. Feel free to read for each other and me , if you like. Practice makes perfect! Remember, alot of this is intuition so you can't go wrong!
any questions post under the question topic, and if any body wants a reading, i'll post a topic class readings, post your questions there and  you can read for each other!
have fun!
                                                                                                                              love and light,
                                                                                                                                   samantha

nicnic

Post by nicnic » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:21 am

Hi Samantha,

The Celtic Cross is what I really want to learn or course along with other spreads.

I have copied this tuturial and this is going to be my homework for the next week, so this time next week I may be able to post something! lol

I am not going to use reversed cards at the moment if that is ok by you, I really want to do it upright first to gain my confidence. Also I am not too sure of using the Major Arcana in the spreads too, so I think I will leave them out too.

Love
Carol

samantha234

Post by samantha234 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:48 pm

dear carol,
i never use vthe reversed unless its a major arcana! :) i will have more spreads coming soon!

xiyang

Post by xiyang » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:33 pm

samantha, I do not understand the big cross around the BASIS.

What the difference between " DISTANT PAST, DISTANCE FUTURE" AND "PAST IS THE NEAR 3 MONTH, FUTURE IN THE NEAR 3 MONTH"?

samantha234

explanation for the celtic cross

Post by samantha234 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:29 pm

samantha, I do not understand the big cross around the BASIS.

What the difference between " DISTANT PAST, DISTANCE FUTURE" AND "PAST IS THE NEAR 3 MONTH, FUTURE IN THE NEAR 3 MONTH"?
Ok, xiyang, i can see where this would be confusing ! I'll explain the best i can! Its a timing thing,the card in the distant past represent something that has happened in the last 6 mths, this is july, so most likely whatever this card represents happened closer to January, whereas  the past 3 month placement has just passed, say between may and July, it is more recent.
The future card for the next three months, the one over the basis card, will most likely happen between now (july) up to the end of september! The next card will occur between sept to dec. It helps you determine the timing plus confirms they are reading right by things that have happened in the past. It is a more complicated but detailed reading.
Does this help? if you have more questions, just ask. I am sure the class will help me to explain it better.hint, hint! lol

samantha

xiyang

Post by xiyang » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:45 pm

it maks sense to me now. Timing period. Thank you.

samantha234

Post by samantha234 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:53 pm

anytime! :smt006

nicnic

Post by nicnic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:16 am

Samantha,
I had an interesting afternoon. I decided that I would have a go at the Celtic Cross Spread....my first attempt. I did change the names of the positions to make it easier for me but it still reads the same if you know what I mean.

And a funny thing happened. I did another spread for the month of August and I got four of the same cards that I got in the cross....so something must be telling me something.

Anyway this is what I got...to the rest of my class mates I would appreciate some help if you can see the cards any different from me. This is a learning thing and practice makes perfect.

The Celtic Cross

Question – What will the next few months be like for me and my family?

Position 1 (the situation)
KING OF CUPS
Wanting to be emotionally secure and have a happy environment within the home.

Position 2 (helps and obstacles)
8 SWORDS
Feeling trapped and really unsure of where I want to go or what I want to do .

Position 3 (past)
10 WANDS
Trying to take on too many things. Too many ideas of what I want to do and this is tieing me down.

Position 4 (recent past)
THE HIGH PRIESTESS
Not using my ability to trust my intuition and I should do so.

Position 5 (possible future)
4 CUPS
Getting myself into a rut if I don’t do something to help myself.

Position 6 (immediate future)
2 WANDS
Putting all my plans and ideas into action.

Position 7 ( attitude)
8 PENTACLES
I am up to learning something new. I want to learn new things and I have the skill to do so. I will work hard for what I want.

Position 8 (environment)
5 CUPS
I am thinking back too much on past events. I need to forget about the dramas that have happened and move on to better times.

Position 9 ( hopes and fears)
KING OF PENTACLES
I hope to be financially secure in the future and that my family will be safe and secure.

Position 10 (outcome)
THE STAR
My outlook is a good one and my hopes and wishes will come true.

MONTHLY SPREAD – AUGUST
cards set out like this - 2 3 1 4 5

Position 1 (middle – general atmosphere)
KING OF PENTACLES
Money wont be a problem this month and our finances are well and truly under control.

Position 2 (first week)
NINE OF CUPS
Almost complete emotional satisfaction within the home. I feel there could be some celebration or good news.

Position 3 (second week)
THE STAR
This will be a truly good week and will carry on for some time.

Position 4 (third week)
8 PENTACLES
Learning new skills or maybe putting my skills to the test somehow. I also get the feeling I will be helping someone out in someway too.

Position 5 (fourth week)
Moving on to better times. Its time to put past events behind me and move on. There is no going back, only forward.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:41 pm

I think you did a god job Carol, straight to the point...and it looks like you get a very good 6 month coming up :)

I haven't tried the celtic yet...I must first learn to use fewer word :) or my spread become a novel hehehehe... but I liked yours :)

nicnic

Post by nicnic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks Rhutobello,
I tried my best for my first time  :)  :) The only reason it was short and sweet was because that was how I saw the cards  :) I can waffle on when I want too!!!!

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:00 pm

hehehehe...I think you missunderstand me....it's my lack of English knowledge that makes me waffle arround the porrige :)

many times I when I will make a statement...I write and write...so it become circle...and in the end no one know what I have said....hehehe even I aren't sure sometimes:)

samantha234

Post by samantha234 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:36 pm

excellent job, carol! and i like the one you've done for the month! its ok to change the position names if it makes you more comfortable! :)

samantha234

Post by samantha234 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:37 pm

rhutobello, i understand ya! lol :smt006

samantha234

expansion of cdeltic cross

Post by samantha234 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:53 pm

sorry class,
i forgot to add this earlier! Alzhiemers!! lol
When a reading of the celtic cross is unclear or you need more info, take the last card (the outcome) place it in the middle of the table as a significator,reshuffle the cards with a question to grant more info and the answer should become clearer! :smt006
                                                       Samantha

nicnic

Post by nicnic » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:31 am

Thanks for your comments Samantha, it has given me confidence.

oh and Rhutobello.......I bet your english is far better than my Norweigen (is that where you are from?) :)  :)

Return to “Tarot”