Reading with regular Playing Cards

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Ms_Guided Angel

Reading with regular Playing Cards

Post by Ms_Guided Angel » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:15 pm

Can anyone tell me about readings done with a regular playing card deck.  How accurate is it..Is it the same as using Tarot decks?  I have only had a readings done in this fashion and would like to learn it myself.  

Thanks, Denise

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:23 pm

In my opinion, it much depend on your intuation.
There are many who do it, but it is not as popular as Tarot.

In a google search I found this site which describe it well :)

http://www.cardsbylaura.com/cartomancy.html

Ms_Guided Angel

Post by Ms_Guided Angel » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks Rhuto...I will check it out...Will let you know if it is at all similar to the readings that I've had done around here..

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 pm

Rhutobello wrote:In my opinion, it much depend on your intuation.
There are many who do it, but it is not as popular as Tarot.

In a google search I found this site which describe it well :)

http://www.cardsbylaura.com/cartomancy.html
Thanks.. A few of my friends can do it this way.. I would love to learn it this way also... Waves to you both~!!  :smt006

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:17 pm

I researched reading playing cards and it is similar to tarot reading.  I have a harder time though remembering the meanings without the pictures, but someone who isn't a beginner like myself may have an easier time.

candlea

Post by candlea » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:13 pm

i read playing cards and i think sometimes in a situation it more detailed then tarot, and alot more easier too, you can use any tarot spread with the playing cards also.

Ms_Guided Angel

Post by Ms_Guided Angel » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:37 pm

Hey all...I found two sites so far that give EXCELLENT  info about using regular playing cards......

1.  http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing ... nings.html

2.  http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing ... nings.html (This one is my favorite so far)

Have fun....Cheers, Denise

priestess12

Post by priestess12 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:23 am

I actually started reading regular playing cards before I ever picked up a tarot deck and was successful enough that I eventually and naturally gravitated toward the tarot. The good thing about reading a regular deck is that if you don't have your cards and need to give yourself or someone else a reading you're still in good shape. Now when I read regular playing cards I usually interpret them as I would the corresponding tarot cards and I have been very successful at that.

DeeFrap

Playing cards

Post by DeeFrap » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:56 pm

I have a friend who reads both, she is more accurate when reading me when she uses her playing cards.

silense

Post by silense » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:14 pm

I find that reading with playing cards is much like the tarot..without the major's in play of course. I like switching between the two.
There are sites online you can earch under cartomancy ( I believe thats how u spell it ) and they are quite helpful.

Barbaras Ahajustsde

Cartomancy Readings

Post by Barbaras Ahajustsde » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:44 pm

There are many versions/card discripts using a regular deck of cards.  You can use them like tarot, but then again, it  keeps you from buying another tarot deck!   :smt003

I like the Hedge Wytchery, Love Oracle and Personal Prophesy card discripts.  There's tons of stuff out there to research and alot of books that keep coming out to grab ahold of!

Find what fits with your intuition!
Barb

RedWhisper

Post by RedWhisper » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:39 pm

The cards share an ancestry. You can read them much the same way you would read tarot cards (same meanings, with I believe hearts representing cups, spades as swords, clubs as wands, and diamonds as pentacles). The only difference is the knight+page vs. jack meaning, for which you may adopt a neutral blended definition of both.

sophielee

Post by sophielee » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:11 pm

I would love to learn to read playing cards.......I did have a reading a few years back, it was so accurate.

Has anyone had any experience with websites for cartomancy?

MySpirit1111

Reading with Regular Playing Cards

Post by MySpirit1111 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:36 am

I've used a regular deck of playing cards quite a few times to do a quick reading when I didn't have my Tarot deck with me.  I got accurate answers but not as detailed as with a Tarot deck.  What I was getting was mostly intuition rather than meanings from the cards.  Intuition is a very big part of reading Tarot and Tarot, itself, helps to develop the intuition.  It's much easier to use the Tarot -- to learn with, especially.

Hope this helps,.

MySpirit1111

AngelBarbie

Reading with regular playing cards

Post by AngelBarbie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:14 am

I do my readings thru regular cards and the people I do the readings on say that I'm very accurate.  My friend and I each did a reading on our other friend and the regular cards were more accurate according to him.

Return to “Tarot”