Introduction to Tarot

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

swetha
Site Admin

Introduction to Tarot

Post by swetha » Sat May 21, 2005 10:00 am

The use of Tarot cards is one of the most popular methods of divination nowadays. Many people, both magickal and mundane, use tarot cards to seek information about the future and/or their own subconcious. Not only are there a wide variety of deck styles to choose from, there also are a number of tarot-like card-based divination systems out there.

About the Tarot
Modern Tarot decks consist of 22 Major Arcana cards and 4 suits (usually called pentacles, wands, swords, and cups) of Minor Arcana, each with 10 numbered cards and 4 face cards. The symbols on the cards are somewhat standardized, as are the interpretations, though some of the more original decks have non-standard interpretations. As a general rule, the cards are shuffled by the questioner, a 'spread' or pattern of cards is drawn and laid out, and the resulting layout interpreted.

Nobody knows for sure when the tarot deck began to be used for divination, though similar decks, the ancestors of both our modern playing cards and the tarot decks, appeared in the late 14th century. Tarot decks may or may not have been used for divination before the latter part of the 18th century, but the esoteric writers of the 19th century popularized their use.

What people get out of a Tarot reading, I always say, is what they put into it. If someone is reading for another person, they can look at the spread and talk about the pattern, but what really influences the future of the querent (the person asking the question) is what they see in the pattern and the interpretation. In many ways, the Tarot spreads allow you to let your subconcious tell you things based on how you interpret the cards; they can function much like the 'Whack Pack' or other inspirational/creativity tools.

Beware of overly-specific readings, or of taking a reading too literally, especially when you are keyed up, using a new deck, or having someone else read for you. The old gypsy standbys, "journeys over water", "a tall dark man" and their counterparts are unlikely to be accurate. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, your readings won't make any sense at all: in which case it may be time to give the deck a break for a while.

writersblox

Quick Question

Post by writersblox » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:28 pm

I have heard that its bad luck to read your own cards.  I have both real cards and I have downloaded the computerized software.  Is it because your subconscious will take over the reading?

Any info will be helpful
Thanks

RedWhisper

Post by RedWhisper » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:10 pm

I can't read my own cards. I just can't help but "force" a reading to go my way, and that's just not good. It's also hard for me to read a close family member's cards, for the same reason.

MySpirit1111

Post by MySpirit1111 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:29 am

This should probably be a new thread.  But here goes.

Many people can't read for themselves and/or can't read for someone close to them, such as a family member or close friend, etc.

When I learned Tarot, I took a course from a lady who lived in Florida and I lived at the time in Kansas.  I had just moved back to my home town and actually didn't know anyone, really.  So, the only person I had to read for most of the time was myself.  And I did readings all the time about anything and everything, just like anyone starting out with the Tarot probably does.

The Tarot has some pretty harsh meanings for the cards and it takes awhile to learn that, say, the word "bankruptcy" doesn't necessarily mean you're going off the the lawyer's office to file bankruptcy in court.  I used to get the Devil and the Tower cards frequently for myself and quickly learned that usually for me they meant I was going to change my focus of attention, like changing from studying astrology to studying numerology.  I used to go back and forth with those 2 quite a bit.

I've read for myself all these years and the cards are quite accurate for me as well as when I read for others.  But I have learned to keep my emotions out of the reading and that's why a lot of people can't seem to read for themselves or people close to them.

As far as "bad luck to read for yourself,"  I don't think so at all, so long as you keep your emotions out of the picture because they sure can influence the cards.

Hope this helps,

MySpirit1111

writersblox

Post by writersblox » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks,
I know that when I have done readings for myself I have picked the Tower card and to be honest I did let my emotions go on this one....

Thanks for the advice I guess I need to learn to be objective but what you have said does really help!

Writersblox

Return to “Tarot”