Cutting the cards.

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

lizmeegan

Cutting the cards.

Post by lizmeegan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:29 pm

The psychic I go to has me cut the cards in 4 groups with my left hand.
At home, I just cut the cards into 2 piles with my right hand.

How do you do it?

cybee

Cutting the cards

Post by cybee » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:04 am

Hello Liz,

I have never been taught the Tarot, it's just been a lengthy process of learning, and practice and also advice from other experienced readers that I have worked with.
I believe, and this is one question I have discussed many times with other experienced readers and they too believe that only the left hand should be used to hold the cards, and cast(deal) them too. The reason for this is that the left hand is closer to the heart than the right. Cutting and shuffling is the same, use the left hand!

Cybee

KateCo

Post by KateCo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:01 am

I don't do any of those. I get the querent to shuffle the cards and then cut them into three equal (ish) piles. I then get them to choose one pile which is the one I use for the reading. You can tell a lot from the pile they choose. If they choose the middle one then they are the sort of person who doesn't want to rock the boat but is quite happy to carry on with life the way it is. If they choose the right hand side (to them) then they are the sort of people who are quite conservative and like to live life by set rules and consensus of opinion, these people don't take risks! If they choose the left hand side, then they are looking for a more unusual path in life. They like to do things differently and see themselves as 'different' to other people. These people are far more likely to take a risk and are far more likely to look for alternative lifestyles or ideas.
Obviously don't mention any of this to the querant until after they've cut the cards!!!!
Kate.

BLACKCAT

Post by BLACKCAT » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:11 am

what if they are choosing based on 1 2 or 3. not left, right, middle. does this make a difference. i would be choosing on a number. not a direction.

blackcat

KateCo

Post by KateCo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:45 pm

BLACKCAT wrote:what if they are choosing based on 1 2 or 3. not left, right, middle. does this make a difference. i would be choosing on a number. not a direction.
blackcat
The theory behind it really depends on direction not number. It's the 'left/right' bit that gives you the information.

Light2000

Post by Light2000 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:31 pm

I cut at 3 piles with left hand.

dedec2000

Post by dedec2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:40 am

that makes alot of sense, if you take it to heart like you should.

Tony Furze

Post by Tony Furze » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:25 am

Same as Light 2000 and I dont worry about making the piles equal

I also allow the Querent to cut the deck into three parts, aaand make them back into one. The aspect of Touch is very important here. Also whatever influences that influence a reading flow into the cards at the point in time of reading.

Malachai

Post by Malachai » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:10 pm

I don't cut the deck at all, I simply shuffle and deal from the top of the deck.

BrightNight

Post by BrightNight » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:49 am

Hi!

it really depends on you and your feeling whether you want to cut the pack or do nothing and just pull out the cards randomly!

As for using the hands, my belief is that if a person is left handed then I make them use the other hand and vice versa to cut and pick up cards!

This is because psychologically when they use the other hand, they are activating that part of the brain which they do not use and maybe the problem lies there and so does the solution!

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:03 pm

I have never cut them a particular way. Occasionally I will spread all the cards on the floor or a table and see which feels 'warm' under my hand then pick it. Usually I just shuffle until it feels 'right' and this seems to work. I think it depends what the particular reader feels is right for them. I have a book which advised cutting into 3 piles but I don't see the reasoning (I mean, for me).

Sometimes when I am doing absent readings I have a white candle burning (this isn't something I learnt, just something I do) and when the flame moves sharply to the left without a draft, it is time to stop shuffling and deal. This works pretty well and I have had some good readings using this method.

TaurusGemini429

Re: Cutting the cards.

Post by TaurusGemini429 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 am

lizmeegan wrote:The psychic I go to has me cut the cards in 4 groups with my left hand.
At home, I just cut the cards into 2 piles with my right hand.

How do you do it?
the left hand is controlled by the right side of the brain (as are all parts of our left body wired to nerve endings on the right side of the brain and vice versa - the only exceptions are fields of vision as the eyes aren't cross-wired in such a way that one side of the brain controls one whole eye... ill refrain from this tangent)

anyway the link of the left hand to the right brain is a supposed link to our subconscious.  also this is where our psychointuitive intelligence is very strong.

oooh i love how well science and psychology come together in the mystical realm :-)

BrightNight

Post by BrightNight » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 am

Starry skies, cutting a pack into 3 would mean connecting with the energies of the body, mind and soul, I suppose. :)

pixey55

Post by pixey55 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:05 am

i find as long as yr consistent with yr cards u can do whatever feels comfortable or right for u.

Tarot.and.Angels

Post by Tarot.and.Angels » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:31 am

Have just read all the posts here and find it interesting how different we all do our cards.
(I have always shuffled until "it feels right" and then pulled cards from the top, with my right hand. However, I might try out how it feels to use my left hand as of now!)

Question: Those that let the querent shuffle, cut and pull and the cards: Do you cleanse the cards each time afterwards? Do you have one deck for yourself and one for readings for others? I have heard that it is better when nobody but yourself touch the Tarot deck...

Return to “Tarot”