Cutting the cards.

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

TaurusGemini429

Post by TaurusGemini429 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Tarot.and.Angels wrote:Have just read all the posts here and find it interesting how different we all do our cards.
(I have always shuffled until "it feels right" and then pulled cards from the top, with my right hand. However, I might try out how it feels to use my left hand as of now!)

Question: Those that let the querent shuffle, cut and pull and the cards: Do you cleanse the cards each time afterwards? Do you have one deck for yourself and one for readings for others? I have heard that it is better when nobody but yourself touch the Tarot deck...
I used to allow others to shuffle my cards but now that I have decided to stop using reversed cards I do this:

I shuffle by splitting the deck, turning the half in my right hand around so they shuffle in facing the same direction as the stack in the left hand. I repeat this until it feels right and I feel I have been fully focused for three shuffles in a row.  It usually takes a couple of "tare" shuffles as I call them before I begin to focus -- all the while I am shuffling in this way.  

Then I put the stack in my left hand face down and separate it into 3 piles, dropping ~1/3  of the deck to my far right another pile to the left of that and another pile to my farthest left (all w/ left hand)

Then I pick up the stack to my farthest right (w/left hand) and put it on top of the one in the middle and pick up that whole stack and put it on top of the one on the left.  I do this splitting 3 times, then I let the querent do it 3 times.  Because this method doesn't make any cards end up upside down I let them do this last step.  I usually have to teach them so once they get how to do it and do it correctly I want them to then do it 3 times while they are focused and comfortable with the task.  

I pull cards from the top of the deck.

---

My old method was:  I shuffle, they shuffle (however we want)
when they shuffle i tell them 3 times when they are ready so they are relaxed.  

Then they give them back and I fan them out upside down.  Then they pick and I turn them over in the order they picked and spread them as indicated by the reading I am doing for them.

BrightNight

Post by BrightNight » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:33 am

Hi Tarot. And Angels!

I had just put up a topic in the psychic forum asking for help because someone who had touched my cards and it had gathered so much negative energy that it started affecting my physical being!

I, actually have no set code of behaviour when I am reading for myself, but I do ask my clients to follow a set pattern to cut and shuffle since they need to centre themselves and understand that tarot is serious business!

I also keep some sets which I dont allow anyone to touch!  :smt018

PelyKat

Post by PelyKat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:30 am

I have a ritual, I shuffle the cards both using the "two pile intermix" and the "one pile pull and drop" method.  First I intermix shuffle, then I turn the deck, and do a pull and drop shuffle.  I do this 3 times.  

Then if I am doing a reading for myself I cut the deck in three piles, (never gave any thought to which hand I held the card in, as I'm right handed, I held them in my left and used my right) placing the piles starting on my right first then to the left of that, and left of the first two.  These are then picked up in the same order.  I will use the top cards for the reading.  

If I am doing a reading for someone else, I have them do the one pile shuffle 3 times, breathing on the cards as they ask their question.  Then I have them place the deck high center to them, and tell them to cut the deck in 3, showing them where to place the piles.  Then they restack the cards in the proper order.  I take the cards from this stack for their reading.  I find that if I have the questioner handle and breathe on the cards, they get a more relevant answer.

Just my input.  But from now on, I am going to use the left or opposite hand approach.  That makes a lot of sense to me.  Thanks!

PS I also use a different deck for my own use than I use for others.  And I do cleanse it between readings by breathing cleansing breaths on the cards before I put them away, where they are stored wrapped in silk, with a piece of quartz in the bag.  I've found this to be enough.

BrightNight

Post by BrightNight » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:20 am

Hey PelyKat!

I am glad you liked the method of using the other hand! I somehow dint follow the intermix, shuffle and pull and drop that you spoke about. Would like to hear it in details. Probably the words are confusing me! Sorry about being a bother!  :)

xaxaa

Post by xaxaa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:46 am

They say it's better to use your left hand if u normally use your right...and if u use your left hand usually then u should cut with your right hand!!
I believe that the feeling matters...not the hand u use to cut!

jarday

Post by jarday » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:41 am

I shuffle and cut as I have been asked to do when I went for readings. Mostly i am asked to shuffle the cards myself, cut into three piles suing my left hand and stacking from the right, middle and left. The first pile down goes on top and the deck is piled together in the same order as I divided it.

As for reversed cards, i choose not to use them. I believe there are negative and positive messages from all cards.

purple_dust

Post by purple_dust » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 pm

personally I cut the deck in three grops with my left hand... but it's more of a traditional nature to me than of a logical/intuitive one.

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm

I cut into 3 piles with my left hand, and then just decide intuitivelly which
way to stack them back up.
D

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:48 pm

I cut into 3 piles with my left hand, and then just decide intuitivelly which
way to stack them back up.
D

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Same here. I cut into three piles with my left hand and pick whichever as guided intuitively.
No big drama about these styles or ceremonies, as long as you concentrate and seek guidance and assitance while shuffling the cards in whichever hand.

What if one was left-handed or totally right handed? Not a good reader? I dont think so.

Jarday: Like you, I dont use reversals either. Any 'negative' messages, I trust, the cards will show in their upright position too.

lenas

has anyone not been asked to shuffle?

Post by lenas » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 am

Hi there! Im still a bit new to  tarot. And i have been reading all the posts here, regarding the shuffling and splitting the cards. While reading them I will definetly try with my left hand..it does feel better. Actually now that I think of it...from time to time I have used my left hand to split the cards! it just felt right at the time. However I do have a question...I've had my tarot cards read twice and the lady never asked me to shuffle the cards..just split them. Has anyone else had that experience? Is there really a difference?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am

I dont ask people to shuffle their cards..... for no reason really. But I ask them to cut it, simply to involve their energy into the cards.
I dont think you should worry too much whether yuo were asked to shuffle the cards yourself or the reader did it for you.
On these on-line readings, we do all for the querent; look at it that way.

bless

Return to “Tarot”