Questioning the wisdom of doing readings for myself

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

LisaLisa

Questioning the wisdom of doing readings for myself

Post by LisaLisa » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:58 am

I am a relative beginner with Tarot. I am fairly proficient with the cards and a few of the spreads (I like the Celtic Cross best).

Currently I do about 4-5 spreads a week but have only done so for myself.  I am a bit nervous about knowing when I can venture out to do readings with another person like a close friend. I guess it is a bridge that must be crossed at some point. In the meantime I am concerned that by doing readings for myself or even by myself I run the risk of becoming isolated and getting "too far into my head".  

Do you think that doing readings for oneself is somewhat counter to the best use of the Tarot?

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:35 am

No not at all :) The best use of the tarot is what feels best for you. My views and feelings may differ but that doesn't mean yours are any less or more right :)

Reading for oneself can be hard with the tarot sometimes , but it is a great way to learn and feel comfortable with the cards. Once you feel confident you will move on to read for others. It really depends on how you read though?  Have you looked at our tarot classes, you might find it fun to take part and then you can join in with our practise readings later on?

Which deck do you use?

LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:44 pm

I use the Rider Waite Tarot Deck. I have several other decks but chose to use this one because it seemed to be the best supported by Tarot reference books, etc.

I would love to participate in a Tarot class. How do I find out more about classes? Thanks.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:53 pm

http://mysticboard.org/viewforum.php?f=81 thats the Learn Tarot area, have a look and then sign up :) its all free and great fun. The course is on view all the time so start when you want.

Psydes212

Reading for yourself, and others...

Post by Psydes212 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:27 am

Hi. I have been reading more than 10 years and just started to read accurately for myself about a year ago. I could read anyone in the world, except myself lol.

My problem was that I was to into the reading, had to remove myself. And the way I did that was to just write down the reading as if I were writing it down for someone else.

That really did seem to remove myself from the reading.

Also, when you feel comfortable about  reading yourself.. see that you are accurate.. then slowly move onto friends and relatives. Or even reading strangers online just for practice.

It seems like you are having progress with it though and doing a good job with keeping up with it weekly.

Good luck with it :)

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:48 pm

It's hard to be objective when you are reading yourself, especially if you are fairly new to it. I've been reading for well over 30 years and there are times I can be objective and other times I am definitely not - and I think that has a lot to do with the mind-set at the time.  Why not venture out and ask your friends and family if you can read them? It will give you more exposure and you'll be able to incorporate the vibrations you are receiving from them into the reading.

Good luck with it. :)

LisaLisa

Discussions that follow Readings

Post by LisaLisa » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Thanks so much for the advice. Over the weekend I did two readings and it was a good experience for all involved.

It seems that a reading naturally provokes a discussion of life issues. Since a certain degree of intimacy is created by the reading, I am tempted to give advice, opinions, etc.

I have mixed feelings about how to wrap up the reading and also whether or not to allow a more direct conversation regarding the presenting or underlying issues.

Can you help me with this?

Return to “Tarot”