DOING YOUR OWN READING

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

HAILEYS COMET

DOING YOUR OWN READING

Post by HAILEYS COMET » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:04 pm

IF I DO A READING FOR MYSELF IS THAT BIASED?

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi Hailey, have you read the other threads where we discuss this very thing http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=26390

It all depends on you and how good you are at keeping objective and reading the cards correctly rather than reading the answers you want?

LisaLisa

Reading for yourself

Post by LisaLisa » Fri May 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Hi Hailey,

Since I posted a similar question I wanted to give you my take. Keep in mind I am a beginner. Smile.

My thoughts on this are that any reading that we do is by definition biased to some degree. We all tend to see things through the filters of our own experience, beliefs and perspective. Biases can be subtle as well as blatant and express themselves in this context as a tendency to interpret the cards in a particular way.

I think one of the benefits of reading for oneself is the opportunity to open our minds and allow for some ambiguity (more than one possible meaning). When reading for a querent I feel a need to present a relatively clear picture of what the cards are saying. Unless of course the cards present a fuzzy picture.  

When I read for myself I can let the spread sit out and the meaning slowly form. I can "try it on for size" and think about it from many angles. I try not to become overly analytical or get too far into my head. I find that if I can keep the spread simple and try not to force a meaning or answer I learn the most about myself, my questions, my situations, and yes, even my biases.

fallenangel

Post by fallenangel » Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 am

Whenever I'd read cards for myself, I usually could not understand them. There are times when I can totally relate to a card but there are times when I can't understand it at all. :( As they say, my powers might only work for the good of others, but I still try to draw a card whenever I need guidance..

alka pareek

Post by alka pareek » Tue May 22, 2007 4:50 pm

i get really confused whether its cards or its something i feel abt a situation

scarletdaisies

Post by scarletdaisies » Sat May 26, 2007 2:45 am

I think the whole idea is to keep your own energy on the cards, so doing a  reading for yourself shouldn't be a problem.  Also they say to sleep with them under your pillow or bed so the deck gets to know you.  It saves your energy and will give you better readings.

candlelady

Post by candlelady » Sun May 27, 2007 4:10 am

I believe that you should sleep with your cards next to you or very close.  Mine (I felt like ) were calling me one night that they were in the other room and I didn't feel OK until I had them next to me.  sounds strange but we need to be near each other to continue the conection we have.  
      I am not sure about reading for yourself yet.  I do think that your conection might be too strong to read right  but then again you know the question and you also are reading what you want to hear.   Just be careful and try not to read only what you want to hear,  but  try to see what your cards are telling you.

KeLa

Post by KeLa » Wed May 30, 2007 12:11 am

I am new too (to Tarot), but I read for myself all the time as a way to learn - I love LisaLisa's reply and agree with her "take".  I am also a numerologist and I find that my readings are best when I step back from what I think I know and read what the numbers say, I am sure the  same holds true with Tarot.

rainii

Post by rainii » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:58 pm

l have read for myself quite often.. during times of stress and found that the same cards keep coming to me until l have resolved the issue.

daisythorn

Post by daisythorn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:59 am

As I'm not a terribly social person, and those that I am social with would not quite understand the need for tarot, I am forced to do readings only for myself.  However, that seems to be fine for me, as I have found great relief in them.  I do try to be honest with myself, and often find that the cards "take me to task" about many things.  For me, I usually know the answers anyhow, but the cards really give me a focus point to meditate on, and in the end, I find that my life has improved by leaps and bounds.  It's an incredible self-help tool.

Return to “Tarot”