Experience using playing cards for readings?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

LisaLisa

Experience using playing cards for readings?

Post by LisaLisa » Mon May 07, 2007 2:02 pm

When I was young my mother taught me how to read cards using a regular deck of playing cards. She used a deck passed down to her from her grandmother-in law. Each card has a handwritten meaning. When I started studying Tarot I observed that many of the Tarot cards had a similar meaning to the playing cards. I still have this deck but do not use it.  

Does anybody else have experience using playing cards in a reading?

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Mon May 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Yes.  I used to do readings with a regular deck on occasion if someone wanted a reading and I didn't have my cards with me (which I never carry with me). Most people have a deck of regular cards so it's easily accessible and I get the same vibes from them as I would a regular tarot deck. It just has less cards.

Lianne

Post by Lianne » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:39 pm

I've tried it in the past but couldn't really get into it. I read a couple of books with assigned meanings for the cards, but the meanings didn't seem to follow a logical pattern. I also tried using them as I would my tarot decks, but that didn't really work either. I guess I'm just naturally more suited to tarot decks than playing card decks.

djberg98

Post by djberg98 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:37 pm

The only reading that was ever accurate (literally everything came true) for me was when I went to this lady who used a regular deck of playing cards.  That in mind, I have been learning (slowly) how to do this.  I got an unopened deck of cards, meditated over them, and I keep them with me always.  No one can touch them except for shuffling and they are not to be used for any other purpose.  I've had some pretty good results with them.  It's hard to convince me that something is/isn't a coincidence as I tend to be a skeptical believer.

theleague

Post by theleague » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:31 pm

i use to read with them all the time, before i got into magic heavy. I still have my deck, havent used it in a bit though, maybe i will pull it out to look at it

djberg98

Post by djberg98 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:48 am

Even when I have evidence that what I read was right, I always tend to be skeptical.  Recently I did a reading for an old friend and one of the major things he was concerned about was finances.  The cards showed that he would be getting a raise or recieve news of a raise sometime around fall.  He called me the other day to let me know that his boss is sending him back to school.  It's a five week course that he's been putting off due to it costing approx $50k.  The raise after he finishes is $25k/year.  HOLY MOLY!  He called to tell me because he was excited and surprised that my reading was accurate.  I'm leaning a little more towards not being so skeptical.  Oh, I said it before, but I read playing cards.

I'm confused about something though.  Depending on where you get your information or who is teaching you, the meanings can be similar and very different.  Some cards don't seem the same at all.  I found what seems comfortable for me and easy to remember and then work with my feelings.  I also have better results if I meditate/concentrate really hard before I start a reading.

Return to “Tarot”