How do you choose which spread to use?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Which spread do you use the most?

Celtic Cross
27%
Three cards - past, present, future
15%
Three cards - suited to the question
15%
One card as guidance
No votes
I choose the spread to suit the question so it varies all the time
42%

Total votes: 26

Gem

How do you choose which spread to use?

Post by Gem » Thu May 03, 2007 12:59 pm

Do you always use one spread, reading after reading?

Do you only know one spread?

It is surprsing how many will answer yes to those two questions.

I wonder what the most popular spreads are.........

LisaLisa

Card spread most used

Post by LisaLisa » Fri May 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Hi Gem,

I think this is a great question. Since I consider myself a beginner I want to make sure I continue to try using a number of different spreads so I don't get too attached to one particular spread.

While I find that the Celtic Cross seems to be the most interesting without getting overly complicated, I also enjoy using shorter spreads.

I do agree that the spread used would depend on the nature of the reading and the querent, but it also depends upon my instinct and approach to the reading.

Sometimes less is more.

Lisa

George

Re: How do you choose which spread to use?

Post by George » Sat May 05, 2007 1:45 am

Gem wrote:Do you always use one spread, reading after reading?

Do you only know one spread?

It is surprsing how many will answer yes to those two questions.

I wonder what the most popular spreads are.........
why am i not in bed yet!  just feel like being up!

i use to use the celtic cross all the time and unlike Lisalisa i found it a little complcated!  but it seem to work very well actually so one day i'm sure i will go back to it.  i was feeling a little over whelmed by it.
right now i use a the 3 card spread and that seems to works very well and feels more stright forward to me.  i really like it alot because it seems to get to a faster point then the cross.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat May 05, 2007 12:44 pm

I like the way you do three sets of three George, that is a very good way of reading :)

George

Post by George » Sat May 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Gem wrote:I like the way you do three sets of three George, that is a very good way of reading :)
thank you! its always nice to hear postitive comments!  i'm having such a great day today!   :smt003

that actually started out as just three cards then went to six then nine and just last night it went to twelve.  sometimes when i lay the cards i just feel the need add another row and so forth.   :)

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Tue May 08, 2007 7:26 am

I make yp spreads depending upon the question and what answers I am looking for, but like george, I use the 3 card spread alot. I also use "what do you mean?" cards, when I still have questions, I ask my guide what he means and throw down another card or two.

George

Post by George » Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 pm

mysticcrystal wrote:I make yp spreads depending upon the question and what answers I am looking for, but like george, I use the 3 card spread alot. I also use "what do you mean?" cards, when I still have questions, I ask my guide what he means and throw down another card or two.
i curiuos about what and who you guide is?  just started to read about guides and i just wanted to ask and add to my knowledge!  thanks  :smt006

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Tue May 08, 2007 4:09 pm

I usually talk to a client (hm only people who under stand I'm learning) when i have the questions they wont answering in my head i lay the cards according to the question or it may sound simpler if i just say all spreads where made up by someone so with the right phrasing of question to placement of card i make up my own spreads-does this make sense

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Tue May 08, 2007 5:32 pm

I have actually seen two of my guides in person and in meditation. I have talked with them in automatic writings and on psychic circles. So cool, I love talking to them. Anyway, one is named BlackHawk and I had a past life with him in the 1700s and one is named Edwardo and I had a past life with him in the 1500s. Blackhawk is laid back and lets me make mistakes, but Edwardo is always telling me what I'm doing wrong. Once, he helped me get out of an abusive relationship by showing me all over the house where money had been hidden that I didn't know about. (He also tells me when any man I'm involed with is doing something behind my back to hurt me).

The best way to meet your guide is to do a guided meditation on it. Email me privately if you would like any details on this. It's my favorite subject.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue May 08, 2007 5:46 pm

mysticcrystal wrote: The best way to meet your guide is to do a guided meditation on it. Email me privately if you would like any details on this. It's my favorite subject.
Why not post about it so that all can read and learn?

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Tue May 08, 2007 6:13 pm

OK, if it's not too boring, here goes. Use whatever technique relaxes you. When you are good and relaxed, imagine yourself floating up in the air, past puffy clouds, until you see a beautiful building. Walk up the stone steps until you get to the large wooden door. Open the door and walk into a beautiful marble foyer. This is the Hall of Akashic records. Wonder around a little, check out the various rooms. There's a room to your right that has little tv screens to view your past lives. If you would like, step in there and view a past life. When you are ready, step into the front room with the soft, cushy chairs. Relax and wait here for your guide to show up. When s/he does show up, introduce yourself and ask his/her name. Your guide will lead you out to the grassy private garden. Look around at all the beautiful flowers. They are all your favorites. You may ask your guide any questions you would like. You can even go back into the akashic records or past life room with your guide and get some insight into your past live(s). When you are finished, thank your guide and leave, floating back down into your body. Take 3 deep breathes and open your eyes. It's a good idea to write down everything you remember for future reference.

George

Post by George » Tue May 08, 2007 7:56 pm

mysticcrystal wrote:OK, if it's not too boring, here goes. Use whatever technique relaxes you. When you are good and relaxed, imagine yourself floating up in the air, past puffy clouds, until you see a beautiful building. Walk up the stone steps until you get to the large wooden door. Open the door and walk into a beautiful marble foyer. This is the Hall of Akashic records. Wonder around a little, check out the various rooms. There's a room to your right that has little tv screens to view your past lives. If you would like, step in there and view a past life. When you are ready, step into the front room with the soft, cushy chairs. Relax and wait here for your guide to show up. When s/he does show up, introduce yourself and ask his/her name. Your guide will lead you out to the grassy private garden. Look around at all the beautiful flowers. They are all your favorites. You may ask your guide any questions you would like. You can even go back into the akashic records or past life room with your guide and get some insight into your past live(s). When you are finished, thank your guide and leave, floating back down into your body. Take 3 deep breathes and open your eyes. It's a good idea to write down everything you remember for future reference.
I recondize what you mean from my Wicca For Beginners book by Thea Sabin.  
very instresting the journeys you have taken i'm hoping to able to do it one day!  :smt003

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Tue May 08, 2007 9:13 pm

Sounds like a good book. I'll have to check it out, especially since I don't know much about Wicca. Sounds interesting, though!

scootbabe66

tarot spread

Post by scootbabe66 » Mon May 14, 2007 2:34 am

yes...i never use specific spreads they can be confusing ....especially when you are just starting out...i just use 3 or 4 card spread for the past ...and the same for the present and the same for the future...if the client asks further questions i just use 3 or 4 cards to answer each one....n.b....there is no hard and fast rule to this,...sometimes one card is enough to answer a specific question...and sometimes instead of a nine card spread as a general reading..it can be 20 cards long...some people have a longer journey to reach their goals than others....you will know when you need to draw out more cards....[/img]

fallenangel

Post by fallenangel » Mon May 21, 2007 9:12 am

My style is quite weird, but it works!

My friend asks me a Q, then I just randomly draw out a card for her, then I speak my mind. Whatever comes out of my mouth is the answer. Strange, but it works :)

Return to “Tarot”