What are your favorite decks?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:50 pm

I suppose, if it is just a feeling, it must be hard to justify.

I remember when I was looking for my first deck ever: I wanted it to talk to me, I was waiting for one to call me, and the RW was it, with its childrenbook kind of colors and design (though I have to agree that some newer versions have improved the colors).

However, I remember distinctly veering away from any medieval type of deck and not just because of not finding them very aesthetic. But I know many people who feel exactly the other way around and like their decks to reflect just how old Tarot is (it just struck me that those should stick to Egyptian decks  :smt003 ).

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:57 pm

I don't know exactly what it is, or for that matter why it is.  But any time I get near the decks I get a creepy feeling and get sick to my stomach.  A friend of mine said maybe I had a reading by one in a past life that didn't turn out well.  I'm not so sure though.  It's a gut instinct that I shouldn't have anything to do with that deck, I just wish I knew why.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:00 pm

Do you read tarot at all then or have any other tarot or oracle decks?

I have had lots of people say they hate the RW lol, but usually I can change their mind or at least get their fear understood.  I wonder if it is the particular decks rather than every single RW deck?  Have yu looked at the Learn Tarot forum and the pictures there of the RW? How do they make you feel?

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Many hate the Thoth because of the demonic reputation of its creator Aleister Crowley, but Arthur Waite wasn't evil he gave tarot the first deck with pictures on all the cards and no pips

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:10 pm

I have 2 tarot decks actually.  And have several friends that have them as well.  I have recieved a few reads, but never with the waite deck.  Like I said, I have no idea as to why I get the feeling around it.  When I walk into the section of a store that sells decks, if that one is there and I get w/in a few feet of it I start to feel that way, even if I don't see the deck.  I'll get the feeling and look around and then I'll find it right next to me.

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Silly me I didnt tell you what I had for decks :P   I have the druid animal oracle, and madame endoras fortune cards.   I used to have a gypsy deck, but it slowly started to disappear on me, so I figured I wasn't meant to have that deck.  The gypsy is the only one I bought for myself, and was later told by a clarvoyant medium that for a deck to correctly work it needed to be gifted to you.  Don't know if that is true, but it made the one deck disappearing make more sense.

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:17 pm

I jsut looked at the section of the forum for that deck, and got the same feeling, my stomach was in knots.  As soon as I closed the window I felt better though.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:34 pm

:smt105 That sounds spooky...

I suppose some images may make you feel that way. Funny, though, because usually it is the Magician that gets depicted on the front, not any really disquieting ones. Have you tried looking at any others from the deck, like Gem says? Or is it too displeasing to even try?

Not that you should if you do not want to. It is just that you seemed to want to get to know the reason for your dislike, and I do not think the RW was around for any previous lives (does reincarnation happen so fast, then? I really have no idea, I must confess).  :smt002

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:41 pm

i have seen the whole deck on another site before, while i was looking for the madame endora's cards.  And I get the same feeling for the whole deck.  I personally believe in reincarnation, and think it can happen at any time.  I felt at one time I was two people at once, a woman who was to die soon, and teh child she had just given birth to.  I think reincarnation is different for everybody, and not there for some.  So I guess it is possible that it was a past life like my friend said, but my gut tells me that that isn't so.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:58 pm

Sorry, I had no idea...

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:08 am

There's no reason to be sorry, sometimes things just happen a certain way and there's nothing we can do about it.  One must accept certain things that come their way and move on. :)  I have just learned to steer clear of that deck is all :)  One learns from their mistakes, and I have learned quite a few things in what few years I have on this Earth.

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:56 pm

I wonder,   what do you think about the Thoth Deck?  http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/al ... ndex.shtml

It seems that from your choice of cards that tarot is not for you as both are oracles, I wonder if that has any bearing?

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:05 pm

I feel no aversion to the thoth deck, but I don't feel inclined to use it either.  I believe Waite was a Golden Dawn member, as it says Aleister Crowley was as well.  Yesterday I looked up a bit of info on the waite deck and found that he had commisioned a woman named Smith to illustrate it.  I saw a picture of her and found myself verbalizing that I knew her somehow.  I dont know how realistic that is, I don't know if I had an earthly incarnation in the early 1900's.  But maybe I had a run in with her in the past and her spirit rings strong in the art she drew!?

red-dragon

Post by red-dragon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:09 pm

mine is the raider waite tarot as it is the only one i used so far

jarday

Post by jarday » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:12 am

I find the reaction of Bandit81101 to the Waite deck soo interesting. It is often said how important it is to find a deck that speaks to you, but I've never heard of what you experience. Maybe it has to do with a past life. I believe we are attracted to tarot decks by our past-life experiences. That's how I picked my deck, and it helps me to feel the cards and the situation expressed by the cards.

Return to “Tarot”