i need help and an opinion~ best deck(s) for tarot

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Laney

Post by Laney » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:33 am

I have hundreds of tarot decks and have been taroting for 30+ years, but I still prefer a classic rider-waite for readings!

sweetsunray

Post by sweetsunray » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:16 pm

When I started the Rider Waite images seemed just too much, too glaring... so I started with a deck I felt drawn to, called the Celtic Deck (the pips have no scenes). The book I started with was an exercise book called "Tarot for yourself" by Mary Greer. The book is good to get you started and work intuitively, and enough basic info, when you don't use a Rider Waite.

Eventually I did move to the Rider Waite deck after a year or two, and bought seventy eight degrees of wisdom with that. And I found a great online learning site for the Waite deck: http://www.learntarot.com/top.htm

Eventually I moved away from the Waite again and on to Crowley. Again the pip cards have no scenes, but still each pip is so distinctive that they are very rich, certainly if you can recall the Waite pips easily, and the pips are so distinct in colouring and such that you note Crowley's different take on them immediately anyway.

BUt yeah, the Rider Waite tarot is the best to really start to learn Tarot.
Life is like a rose. The most beautiful ones have large thorns. You only need the courage to grab for them.

saboinia

my favorite deck

Post by saboinia » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:13 am

i remember my first deck, it was the robin wood tarot deck.  it cames with a little booklet and in the booklet are a couple of spreads.  i laid down the tarot for a while so i am relearning the system.  and guess what the deck that i am useing is the robin wood tarot deck. it is all comming back to me slowly. i do suggest that you keep a 'tarot journal' pick a card and look up all possible meanings, do this every morning and later on that night go back and write down  how your day was, this will improve your accuracy and get you familiar with the deck.

Jayman

Post by Jayman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:30 am

the correct deck is that which you feel most comfortable using.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi,

Whichever deck you choose, the best is to get the RW to learn how to assimilate symbolism, and interpret what you are presented with!

Then, you get a deck which may look "nice" to entertain your querant only!

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:42 pm

I agree with Payewacker.
Rider Waite was my frist deck and it still remains the deck I work with.
Others are pleasant to the eye... but lack symbolism.

Return to “Tarot”