What are your favorite decks?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Shortyfrm

Post by Shortyfrm » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:18 am

PaganPriest wrote:Rider-Waite, always. Never can seem to get a decent reading from any other deck.

You hit the nail on the head there.  I have 16+ years with Rider-Waite....it never lets me down.  I have tried many didn't decks, but Rider-Waite holds a special place in my heart for some reason.  It is almost like I feel uncomfortable using other decks because I am so comfortable with RW.  

Maybe I need to step out of my comfort zone and explore some more, after all, stepping out of one's element is essential to progression.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:07 am

Favourite deck ????????????? Gosh which one to choose!! :smt017

I have to admit to being an avid collector of Tarot, I have a list of decks that I just want to 'own' that is as long as my arm.   :smt005. Some of the decks I own are - The Arthurian Legend, Mystic Faerie, The Tarot of the Elves, Animals Divine, The Sacred Circle, Manga Tarot, The Angel Tarot. I also own 7 Oracle decks.

The deck that I tend to go to the most is is Animals Divine and the Tarot of the Elves, but if the cards don't feel right for my sitter then I try another deck. When I am looking at decks I tend to buy the deck that 'speaks' to me.

As for the Rider Waite deck I have looked at tried to use it but I found that not only did it not appeal to me visually all I ever got from them was nothing. The deck doesn't talk to me.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:56 am

:smt109 I just ordered three new decks: Guilded, Llewellyn and Universal Fantasy, most of them for the artwork, which I find fascinating, even if I am unable to read from them.

But I will certainly try. I am intrigued by the notion that different artwork will give me different meanings, or at least slants. I know many of you can read from nearly any deck and chose the right one for each question: would that I had that ability! So far, I have only been able to read from RW and Robin Wood's and that is because one is heavily based on the other (hee, hee, I just noticed they even have the same letters).

I still have a long way to go, and I am always quite excited when getting to open new decks. I am not much of a collector: I have bought many, but I give them away after a while if they do not speak to me. The ones I keep, I do for the artwork, which in many is outstandingly beautiful.

If I were an artist, I would love to design my own. I think the Aeclectic board has a page on how to design a deck. Has anyone ever tried to design a deck?  :)

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:45 pm

How exciting, I am on a strict NO BUYING rule, stupid resolution!!  But who knows........

Will have to hear what you think when you get them please :)

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:31 pm

:smt003 Sure thing! The least I can do in order to get some of their worth back is boast about them a little  :smt005  

I will be posting as many pics as I can get away with, probably adding them to each card in the homework thread, so that others can decide if they like them enough to give them a try.

I had stopped buying and was giving away most of the decks I never use, till my interest got rekindled by a friend begging me to teach her how to use the RW. That is what made me search in the web, find MB and follow your course. My enthusiasm is suddenly all back!  :smt007

jennifercrowe

Favorite decks

Post by jennifercrowe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:31 am

Mine would ahve to be the Celtic Dragon, The Witches, Rider-white, and The goddess deck

Sommerstars8o8

Post by Sommerstars8o8 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:09 pm

I just started learning  Tarot Reading   am going to buy me  my very first  Deck   as i was searching online i came across  Tarot of Dream  that  deck just scream  at me  "PICK ME NOW "  so you could say my favorite deck  has to be Tarot of dreams .

farafina

Post by farafina » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:47 pm

I just bought a Rider-Waite deck for learning purposes. But I have to admit that the Tarot of Dream really speaks to me.... The facial expressions on the Court cards are amazing. Unfortunately, I can't find them in any Canadian online store. And ordering them online from the US, they would charge me for customs...
Sigh...

The only Tarot I could find here is the Gilded Tarot which was designed by the same artists as the tarot of Dreams. I may have to settle for that one.

Lycona

Post by Lycona » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:35 pm

My favorite deck that I use all of the time is the Celtic Dragon Tarot deck.  Other decks I use fairly often include the Moon Oracle and the 2013 Oracle.  I have a total of 15 decks, some of which include the Fairy Oracle, The Faery Wicca Tarot, The Answer Deck, Animal Oracle, Goddess Oracle, Halloween Tarot, Isis Oracle, Runes, Flower Oracle, Gifts of the Goddess, and two decks that can be combined into one by Mickie Mueller called The Hidden Path and The Well Worn Path Oracles.  

Some, like the Goddess Oracle and the two decks by Mickie Mueller I use as teacher cards or use them for altar decorations for Sabbat rituals.  I very rarely read them as oracle cards.

I love the Celtic Dragon Tarot deck because the images really speak to me, and I get a lot from the cards when I read them, even without the book.  Also, most tarot decks associate wands with fire and swords with air, and I've always had the opposite associations.  The Celtic Dragon tarot associates swords with fire and wands with air.  Anyone know of any other decks out there with those associations?

tabi

Post by tabi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:57 pm

Quickly becoming the Favole....yes I got another one... :smt041

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:01 pm

ooooh off to look at that one.........

farafina

I take back what I said because...

Post by farafina » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:47 pm

I have used the Gilded Tarot for the past week.... I must admit  :smt087
... RIDER WAITE connects so much better with me. Even though the Gilded tarot is beautiful and so artistic. I feel as if I am being BLOCKED  :smt012  ... The cards don't speak to me. They block me.
I went back to Rider Waite and the cards just pulled me in and I get my flashes and clear information comes through... :smt017
Even though the design of the cards are not that attractive to me....

Strange, no?
Anyways, so I have to say that for actual readings, Rider-Waite speaks to me...
:smt002

xaxaa

Post by xaxaa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:21 am

I haven't found any favourite one yet...
Still looking around for some deck that will attract me more...

Kyla

Post by Kyla » Sun May 04, 2008 5:27 am

My favorite Tarot would have to be the Mythic Tarot and the Rider-Waite deck. I use the Mythic Tarot often to perform readings for my own personal site as I find it the most accurate when I have no direct contact with the person I am reading for. Although, I am very fond of the Rider-Waite deck. The particular deck that I use on a daily basis is a deck that was handed down to me from my Grandmother who was a traditional Gypsy. These cards are very precious to me, and when I hold them in my hands I almost feel as though my grandmothers spirit is right next to me, guiding my hands as I read the cards.
Bright Blessings to all...
xxKylaxx

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun May 04, 2008 5:08 pm

I still 'feel' with the Rider Waite..... Of all the pictures and imaging I have seen here of other decks, I dont think I can give readings with them. I might buy or try the Universal Rider Waite as the pictures are water colour-ed and look brightere...... but will only know when I do readings.

Return to “Tarot”