Qabalah and Tarot

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Neshamah246

Qabalah and Tarot

Post by Neshamah246 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 am

How many of you link the Qabalah and Tarot?  This is something that was started by Eliphas Levi (and Papus) during the 19th Century; so many people think that they just "belong" together.

The Tarot can stand on its own as a divinitory tool, and as a tool for personal insight.  It really doesn't need the Qabalah to add to its "meaning."

What do you thinK?   :smt003

Gem

Re: Qabalah and Tarot

Post by Gem » Thu May 03, 2007 1:08 pm

Neshamah246 wrote: The Tarot can stand on its own as a divinitory tool, and as a tool for personal insight.  It really doesn't need the Qabalah to add to its "meaning."

What do you thinK?   :smt003
Personally, I don't like the connections, I think that anything that links a wonderful divinatory tool like tarot cards to any form of religion, that will then perhaps limit its use in many circles, is not a good idea.

Some of the quabbalistic decks have a very dark feel and a mysticism that really is quite unecessarily complicated and supposedly surrounded in secrecy. Look through it and you can see that the benefits perhaps aren't worth it? Much better to link with astrology I find.

Spiritboxer

Post by Spiritboxer » Sat May 19, 2007 7:09 am

From what I was taught years ago the Tarot is a Qabalahistic book and a powerful teaching tool. Kind of a bridge between the microcosm and the macrocosm and can be used to understand both using divination. According to Paul Foster Case it was put together in 1250AD in Morroco as a way to study Qabalah. This is what he claims of course, I may have been there in a previous incarnation but I certainly don't remember. I studied Tarot from 1977 to 1982 at the Builders of the Adytum sponsored School of Mystical Science in NYC, a true mystery school in every sense of the word. I'm basing my comments on what I learned there.

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Sun May 20, 2007 7:34 am

Ive just read your post now im confused Ive read books listened to tapes watched videos searched the Internet and no body can honestly say where Tarot came from so not knowing its origins im curious to know how any body can lay clam and say  Tarot is a Qabalahistic book as the most convincing theory is that it started with astrology

Spiritboxer

Post by Spiritboxer » Sun May 20, 2007 11:29 am

The information came from the text we used at the School of Mystical Science, Tarot by Paul Foster Case. I have a copy of it around here somewhere and if I can find it I'll give you the page number if it's any help. The Builders of the Adytum is still in existance if you'd like more information. IIRC, the BOTA, founded by Paul Foster Case is an off shoot of the Golden Dawn and really interesting considering it's lineage. Isreal Regardie published a book called the Golden Dawn, a must have if you're going to delve into this society made up of folks like McGregor Mathers, Yeats (the poet), Aliester Crowley, the self proclaimed Great Beast and author of Magick in Theory and Practice . I could go on and on but Case claims the Tarot was put together in 1250AD/Morroco.
I might add, confusion and the western mystical tradition go hand in hand but there's a ton of information available if you want to slog through it.
It works like this or so I've found, Eastern, user friendly-Western, a gold mine of information. Blending them together gives you the best of both worlds. An example is reiki which is the purest alchemical system *I've* ever come across. Transformation of the self, does it get any simpler. But listen to me, preaching to the choir, Lemme get some sleep.  :smt015

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun May 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Case claims the Tarot was put together in 1250AD/Morroco.
I think that perhaps 'claims' is the crucial word here?  Many tarotists disbeleive these claims, and prefer to trace the roots much further back than any tree of life of kabbalaism to The Book of Thoth and the Ancient Egyptians, it all depends on who you believe in. For each branch there are a dozen others that say they are the real truth.

Spiritboxer

Post by Spiritboxer » Sun May 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Yup, claims is the key word and in my initial post I mentioned, "I wasn't there" to add a little humor to the situation. It's rare for anyone to get a definitive statement from me unless I was there, saw it with my own eyes and possibly  participated. Kinda like a Fair Witness in Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" I'll only go with what I saw. Of course, there are intangibles you have to take on faith but that's something for another discussion.

Annodnyl

Quaballah Tarot

Post by Annodnyl » Wed May 30, 2007 2:20 pm

I've used the Quaballah tarot with the tree of life spread and have found it useful.  If you have studied the Quaballah, using the tarot with the Quaballistic principles can be helpful.  I've found that combining the tarot and astrology is difficult for me since I am not well versed in sun signs. :smt004

Return to “Tarot”