What does this mean!!??

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

sophia071

What does this mean!!??

Post by sophia071 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:38 pm

In the Celtic Spread the outcome card (10?) was The Devil-Reversed
The question was:  "Will the distant future be prosperous?"
It said all my actions ....with evil tendencies!  I am not evil, nor do I want to be to gain prosperity!  I am trippin'!
So, can anyone, more knowledgeable, give me a better translation so I can breathe again?

Thanks for your help!
Sophia

Ron Paul 2008.....Righteous!

Bella

Re: What does this mean!!??

Post by Bella » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:56 am

sophia071 wrote:In the Celtic Spread the outcome card (10?) was The Devil-Reversed
The question was:  "Will the distant future be prosperous?"
It said all my actions ....with evil tendencies!  I am not evil, nor do I want to be to gain prosperity!  I am trippin'!
So, can anyone, more knowledgeable, give me a better translation so I can breathe again?

Thanks for your help!
Sophia

Ron Paul 2008.....Righteous!
Ok Sophia stop panicking - let me say first and foremost no future outcome is set is stone, it is what you do today that creates your tomorrow. Therefore you have free will to choose your direction and depending on that direction you take is what creates for you.

Now the celtic cross is a big spread and you need to look at how the cards all interact and influence each other in order to see how you would interpret the Devil reversed.

Lets just look at some possibilities of this card, If the Devil upright indicates that there is an imbalance in your life, so that you are leaning one way more than the other,  ie obsessive behaviour, too much of anything really, it is card that tells you, that you are in bondage to your baser instincts, then reversed this could mean that these things are really out of control, but also it could mean the total opposite, that you can now get your life into balance, go from sinner to saint if you like  - just an expression I'm using here to illustrate my point. Reversed it could be telling you that you have now reached the point where you realise that you need to take responsibility for yourself, that the choice is always your own and that you can live in your world without going to extremes.  It could be saying that if you realise that what you worry about has no real foundation then you free yourself up to other possibilities.

So my advice is to look at all the cards, try to learn to read them interactively rather than individually in order to see  how you should interpret them.  If you are a beginner then I also suggest that you leave doing bigger spreads until you can do this and stick to something more simpler, like three cards. - Also your question "Will the distant future be prosperous?" is limiting in that it really becomes a yes/no question, you could try to frame your questions in the future in an open ended way, using  what, why, how, where etc.  Your question then could become, What do I need to do/know in order to help my future be prosperous? Then you could use three cards with positional definitions:

What I need to know
What I need to do
What I need to avoid

Which in the long run will give you a far more productive reading than a yes/no one.:smt002

Hope this has been of some help to you  :)

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi,

As bella indicated so many meanings look at the following:

There might be a situation of bondage, unwanted influence, obsessiveness, restricted, losing your self-confidance, addiction, entrapment, materialism on your side, overindulgence, ignorance, experiencing limitations. Doubt, many more

Take into consideration that the Devil looks at you directly, or for that matter most of the majors. So they don't talk about you, but directly to you!

Blessed be

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Theres nothing to be worried about, which deck was it you were using?

tabi

Post by tabi » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:48 am

No one card as more power over another. The Devil Reversed as an outcome card is rather good considering it means that you see your temptations for what they are and who they are. You are acknowledging them but not allowing them to have power over you in any way. Would you rather have your self chained to him or be loose of his chains?

In almost every Devil card you see that the person could/can slip out from behind his chains and move freely away from the Devil if they choose to but they are too attacted to what the Devil can bring or give them that they would prefer to stay there chained to him saying it is out of fear...or is it greed?

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:10 am

No need for panic: the cards are not out to give you a beating.

I would like to see the whole spread, but the Devil reversed as an outcome could mean you will end up trying to get out of some relationship or situation that is not good for you and in which you have felt trapped for some time. It could be anything you are not happy with in the long term, and the rest of the spread is probably telling you how you got into that and how to get out again if you wish.

Next time, please let us know what the other cards were in their positions. As you see, everyone is happy to give you a hand. So, relax and enjoy the messages the cards give you  :)

Return to “Tarot”