Bought my first deck today!

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

FragelsGal

Bought my first deck today!

Post by FragelsGal » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 am

Well I did it!  After dreaming of a tarot deck the other night and being really excited by it in my dreams I thought today was the day and I went to a bookstore in search of my first deck.  Well I got there and the only ones there were was a learning deck in a box, which wasnt a bad thing I figured.  It came with a DVD and book and each card has the meaning on the bottom.  I have been playing around with the cards tonight and really like it, the graphics are attractive, bright and modern.  I guess one day I will buy a 'proper' deck!!  once I learn the meanings of the cards more, or what they mean to me.

Has anyone else started reading tarot from a learning deck?  Do you still use it because your attached to it?

I have already been reading Gems classes anyway and plan to use them more, coz the books a bit limited really.  So im really glad I have something else to learn from.  Gem you rock  :smt020

My first spread I did for myself, and couldnt believe wat the cards were saying! So accurate.  Then I realised id screwed up the damn spread!  LOL  Funny how they were so accurate even tho id laid it out wrong.  I guess ill get it right one day.  Im sure I heard my late husbands spirit saying 'hopeless, just hopeless!'  like he used to haha!

Anyway my second question.... how long until you got to know the cards?  When did you first decide to read for someone else?  When do you know you are ready?!  Im keen for someone to practice on but im gunna look like an egg if I lay the cards out and go.... ummmmmm.... :D

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi  :smt006 There is no right or wrong Tarot deck, if you enjoy them and they speak to you then its the right deck for you now,
For your second question It takes as long as it takes to know your cards, the more you pick them up and work with them the quicker you will relait to them
I find the quickest way to learn a new deck is to shuffle them then turn one card over at a time asking each one to tell me a story about its self this can take a while but well worth the time
               Blessings Decia

kristabella

Re: Bought my first deck today!

Post by kristabella » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:17 pm

FragelsGal wrote:Well I did it!  After dreaming of a tarot deck the other night and being really excited by it in my dreams I thought today was the day and I went to a bookstore in search of my first deck.  Well I got there and the only ones there were was a learning deck in a box, which wasnt a bad thing I figured.  It came with a DVD and book and each card has the meaning on the bottom.  I have been playing around with the cards tonight and really like it, the graphics are attractive, bright and modern.  I guess one day I will buy a 'proper' deck!!  once I learn the meanings of the cards more, or what they mean to me.

Has anyone else started reading tarot from a learning deck?  Do you still use it because your attached to it?

I have already been reading Gems classes anyway and plan to use them more, coz the books a bit limited really.  So im really glad I have something else to learn from.  Gem you rock  :smt020

My first spread I did for myself, and couldnt believe wat the cards were saying! So accurate.  Then I realised id screwed up the damn spread!  LOL  Funny how they were so accurate even tho id laid it out wrong.  I guess ill get it right one day.  Im sure I heard my late husbands spirit saying 'hopeless, just hopeless!'  like he used to haha!

Anyway my second question.... how long until you got to know the cards?  When did you first decide to read for someone else?  When do you know you are ready?!  Im keen for someone to practice on but im gunna look like an egg if I lay the cards out and go.... ummmmmm.... :D
The first deck I used was a learning deck. It was the Instant Tarot Reader by Zerner-Farber. It was pretty accurate but  not very in depth...nothing compares to a "real" deck. Comparing the readings from that instant tarot deck to the readings from my Universal Waite deck is like comparing a picture made by using one of those instant water color books to an actual painting one would hang up in a gallery.

I have my instant tarot deck in storage.  I worked with that instant tarot deck for  3 years but I am definitely not attached to it.  I felt like I knew that instant deck after the first day. It wasnt very hard to get used to.

There's nothing wrong with starting out using an instant tarot deck or a "learning deck." People say the Rider Waite is a learner deck and that is an excellent and very "real" deck.

I did readings for others using my instant tarot deck about a week after I got it. It was an instant deck so it wasnt very hard to get. However, I dont think you can actually call what I was doing reading- I was simply pulling cards and reading right out of the book.

sbh

Post by sbh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:18 am

I'll just chime in (I need posts to register my software, but can't seem to find the introduction thread).

My first tarot purchase was the Rider Waite deck, to which I had no strong attachment. I started reading/most playing with the cards at such a young age, I had no real sense of how to interpret the symbolism and implications of the tarot in any sort of practical way that could actually be applied to my questions. I still find that I'm getting to know the cards, even now- 17 years later, and how I relate to them and how they relate to each other. However, I should say....I haven't exactly used them consistently over the years, either.

Gave my first reading to a guest at the hotel where I worked. I was 17. Who knows what I said to him! I'm sure that I predicted all sorts of doom, death, and medieval disaster for him. Heh. I definitely was not ready to read for anyone at that time.

:)

FragelsGal

Post by FragelsGal » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 am

Thanx for your replies.  

Yea, once I get a basic feel for the meanings of each cards Im going to venture out to the only spirituality shop that I know of near here and get a 'real' deck.  For now, my little practice deck will do :)

Luca-Kent

reply to Fragelsgal

Post by Luca-Kent » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:39 am

Hi,

I think you are going to be just fine!  In the end it really doesn't matter which deck you read with - if you like you can build up a collection later, but it's not neccesary.  I still only have two decks - I use the Gothic Tarot deck, and the normal Rider Waite.

Don't be afraid of the cards.  They always tell the truth, and the more you practice, the better you will be at reading it intuitively.  When you practice, start on yourself, and close friends and family.  Tell them you are learning, and always have your books with you.  You will be amazed at how fast you will learn the different cards.

I found that key words for every card makes it easier to get to know them, the only thing you have to remember is that different cards have different meanings in different positions.  

An excellent book for beginners is by Hajo Banzhaf: The Tarot Handbook.  Do yourself a favour and go buy it!

Good luck!

Luca

sarablinx

Post by sarablinx » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:35 am

My first deck was the rider deck and I didn't like it at all.. For me ithe visuals (aka the pictures lol) put  me in the mood and the RWD was just boring to me..  I wish I would have gotten a different deck that first time because if I did I probably would have been much more into it and I would be a lot farther along in tarot than I am now. I mean it took me like 3 years to get back into it, but once I did and I looked around for that perfect deck, I *finally* found it, actually I found 2!: the Gilded deck and the Archeon deck...I also like the Fantastical deck, but not as much as the others.  I can't wait until the 2nd Gilded deck comes out at a reasonable price, I looked at a couple and some are even better than the 1st!! I'm so excited lol

Return to “Tarot”