Intuitive or taught?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

bellevalentine

Intuitive or taught?

Post by bellevalentine » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:08 am

is taught better than intuitive or is there not that much of a difference?

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:57 pm

I believe there is a difference. The cards are only tools to open your psyche and psychic/intuitive side. Now you can go one of two ways: You can learn each thing that is suggested for each card and get bogged down in the analytical and leave out the psychic/intuitive part, or you can open up your intuitive/psychic side and allow the cards to speak to you in that way. The books that come with any deck of cards tell you they are only there for a guide. Nothing is written in stone. What do you think the card means? How do you feel about the card? What cards are around the card you are reading? The books doesn't say much on that, but your intuition and psychic ability to read will.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie
The Universe Always Keeps Her balance. Lady Karma always shines through the darkness....

George

Re: Intuitive or taught?

Post by George » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:45 pm

bellevalentine wrote:is taught better than intuitive or is there not that much of a difference?

intuitive is better then taught but surprisingly you will learn the meaning of the cards from reading intuitive.  :smt017  :smt020  :smt002  :)
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

looking_glass

Re: Intuitive or taught?

Post by looking_glass » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:03 pm

bellevalentine wrote:is taught better than intuitive or is there not that much of a difference?
You can almost rephrase that question as should I listen to my heart or my mind?
awarenessoftheheart.com

birdsong123

Post by birdsong123 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:27 pm

For me, a mixture of both worked best. I learned the traditional meanings first. Then I did several reading and learned how those meanings applied to real life and how the cards inter-related within the same spread. Now I read with intuition brought through from the traditional meanings I originally learned.

As you know, one card can have multiple meanings whether it is learned or intuited, so either way, I beleive, does require inner help and intuition.
Warm blessings,
Donna

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:13 pm

I agree with birdsong123 but it does not mean I discard my other colleagues' approach.
I learnt meanigns first and still to this day, I dont relate to the text book meaning vs the picture meaning..... see my point?

I have this particular 'problem' with some of the Wands, especially the II and III of Wands. To me these cards and their graphics in the Rider Waite say different to the text book meaning. The same applies to my own personal intuition with the Two of Swords.

Therefore, I mix and match depending on what the querent's question is about and the positions of the cards.

bellevalentine

Post by bellevalentine » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:26 am

I dont feel real connected to my deck maybe a change is in order =)

purple_dust

Post by purple_dust » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:52 pm

any good Tarot course will ask you to look at the cards first and try to see what the mean from the words you write after seeing them and then look up for the meanings they give and see if they match... and if they doesn't they ask you to stick to your interpretation at the moment!

That's the approach I like.
---------------------------------------------------
Everyday is like Sunday... well except for Blue Monday, Ruby Tuesday and Friday I'm in love

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:26 pm

:) Yep, definitely. But also, even if we had unfailing memories capable of remembering every single meaning of the several upright and reversed from all 78 cards -since carrying a book around looks slightly unprofessional-, you would still get very baffled when trying to adapt those meanings to very specific questions about a business outcome, a friendship going through a rough period, a writer's block or any thousand situations that come up in every day life.

A fresh and confident approach, knowing that all you need to know will be shown before your eyes, is the only way to read a lot and enjoy it. I certainly do not miss my beginnings, when I thought I would never be any good if I did not stick to written words. Now I accept anything the cards tell me. If they are confusing, they are probably mirroring my own confusion on the matter, or maybe I am not ready to see things very clearly yet.
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 pm

That's very well said, Pirbid.
I am now beginning to 'see' difficult cards out of their context in readings and every time they are making a great deal of sense to the querent..... So. out of the box does work.

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:53 pm

I am of the mixture belief too. I am still learning the traditional meanings, but I often just lay out the cards and can
really see what they mean just from looking and feeling. I often feel a total differant meaning for a card intuitively
and then read the tradtional meaning and say What!! I have one card for a relationship I have with a romantic relationship that just literaly is our card, the Moon, but the tradtional meaning doesn't fit all that much.
D

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:13 pm

Go with what you feel intuitively.. I had a similar case myself whereby a major Arcana card showed up and I felt totally different towards it than its book meaning. I went ahead with my own interpretation.

FutureVizions

Post by FutureVizions » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:12 am

I recommend getting a strong feel for your own personal meanings, then doing research into traditional meanings of the symbolism in the cards to broaden the scope of your personal understanding.

Isoniahtar

Post by Isoniahtar » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 pm

for me it's both. I mean having the whole set of interpretation at hand and picking the right one using your intuitive abilities. :-D
2+2=5

Nelsoncar

I Believe

Post by Nelsoncar » Mon May 25, 2009 1:19 am

First I believe that you have read and study about the tarot. Everything you can. So, you have to training only knowing the symbols and what they mean. Then, once you have studied. You have to have  your mind open, believing in your intuition and in my case, in the Divine, and spread and interpretate. This is my own opinion. Sorry, my english is not as good as it could be.

Return to “Tarot”