i need help and an opinion~ best deck(s) for tarot

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

dragon_of _shadows

i need help and an opinion~ best deck(s) for tarot

Post by dragon_of _shadows » Tue May 12, 2009 2:13 am

ok. im a beginner in tarot reading. so does anyone know the best deck(s) to use, and possibly a great guide book to read?

also, can any deck be used in many different types of readings?

right now, all i have are clow cards from an anime. some girl who has done tarot for many years created meanings for each card. i feel they work decent enough, so do you think that i could use different spreads with these cards, if so could you please show me.

im so lost and so interested ^^

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue May 12, 2009 8:01 am

Hello Dragon

It all depends if you want to take this up seriously. Whilst I do not know anything about the anime deck of cards that you have and which accordingly to you works 'decently', I would strongly suggest that you start with the Rider Waite Original or Rider Waite Universal. The latter has got clearer graphics and brighter colours - although it is exactly the same as the Original in its pictorial depiction. Most decks come with their own book or booklets. The one that comes witht Rider Waite unfortunately is not adequate to for a learner.

A good tarot book? There are many in the market. There is a free tarot course on this site where you can exchange ideas and interpretations along with many others. Failing that make a search for free internet tarot courses. There is another book called the Tarot Bible which can be useful too.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get back.

Best wishes.

Songstress

Post by Songstress » Wed May 13, 2009 4:10 am

When I first started learning, I bought a deck I felt drawn too.  It's actually how I've chosen all of my decks.  Sadly I don't have any of my decks now.  I lost them in a move.  So I haven't done a reading for anyone or myself in quite some time.

Definitely compare books.  I've seen some books give different interpretations for cards.  I've also seen some that go into more detail of the cards.  When you read, always remember to trust your own instincts as well.  The cards can't give you 100% of the information.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed May 13, 2009 11:05 am

Hi,

I agree fully with Cedars. To be drawn to a deck, certainly. But if ywant to really start studying Tarot, you need to go to the basics and expand from there.

The Rider Waite deck is which most decks are based upon anyway. You can download "The pictorial key to the Tarot" of A E Waite. it is an Adobe reader file and can be done free. You just need to look where, i think i got mine via Wikipedia.

The file name on my computor is Waite_Tarot.pdf, maybe this will help.

Cedars and I are also keeping up discussions, you may find them interesting. The symbolism you may need to look at, is highlighted or brought to the attention of everybody. it's just a pity that other so-called Tarot students don't do postings. Maybe we are discussing things which may intimidate them as they do not really understand the subtle nuances found in Tarot?
:smt015

Blessed be

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Did you know that Rider Waite is the most popular tarot deck in the English-speaking world while the Latin tradition prefers the Marseilles? I use the latter and prefer it over Waite since--in my humble opinion--I found the images distracting. It is hard to believe things will turn out well after seeing somebody surrounded by swords. So, I prefer the simple cards in Marseilles when the reader sees the card "plainly" and then conncects them with the context. This is very personal, I know :$. However, I agree that it is better to start with a more "standard" tarot deck and then try different ones, if you like.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Kaperuzita

I have seen some of the cards of the Tarot de Marseilles and none of its caricaturish or childish pictures made any impression on me. The graphics did not touch me at all. And, as briefly as I looked at them, I did not see much of the sybmolism as there is in the Rider Waite......... and still learning. During one of my psychic development circle nights, the hostess brough out her Marseilles cards and I just could not connect with any one of them.

Out of curiousity, how is the Ten of Swords depicted in the Marseilles deck? Can you describe it to me, please?

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi, sure! I'll try to describe it as best as possible. If you want to read a full treaty about the symbolism in Marseilles, I strongly recommed you to read Jodorowsky's book: "The Way of the Tarot" I know it is in Amazon but I haven't read it in English so I hope the translation is good.  Also, I could translate a piece of it to post it here, for example, a description of the sword cards in Marseilles. Well, the ten of swords has a blue background, two clusters of four curved black lines that intertwine to create an elipse made of eight lines. Each cluster is stabbed by a sword from below and the two of them cross in the middle of the elipse. The handles of the swords are red and yellow while the blade is blue. Also, the black lines have yellow and red, too. The yellow and red color are reversed in each side of the cards so that, when the left side of the card has a yellow part, this is red on the right side. Also, on the upper part of the card--where the handles of the swords are in the botttom--there are two flowers. They have blue leaves and red and yellow petals.
I think that's all. I'm at work so I don't have my desk with me :(

I could look up for a picture or scan my own at home.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 pm

That would be good, thank you. :)

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:58 am

I'm trying to keep my word but I'll be brief because here it's 10:30 PM and I get up at 6 AM :S. I'll summarize some of the key points Jodorowsky that apply to the ten of swords (as an example). I won't make any mention to colors as now I really don't have the time to include all that here. So, I'll start from what the swords represent in Marseilles, which is the intelect, intelligence and their element is air. This is reinforce by the fact that swords aim at the sky, meaning they are active. Now, numbers. Ten is the end of the cycle that allows the beginning of a new one. It is completion. In the analysis of the Marseilles cards, we see that the all ten's generate the next set of minor arcanes. The ten of swords is the only one of the set of swords that has two swords. This means that here, we discover "the other". I quote: "in the ten of sword, the intellect--full of love--discovers the "hearing". Going back to the image, the two swords enter the oval in the card (in the other sword cards, the swords are caged inside) from left and right, masculine and femenine. By having both sides, the mental element is now complete. The interpretation of this card implies achieving a whole view of reality. The negative side of this card would be rejecting the other, having an emotional block that creates an intellectual conflict, fear of being hurt, to quarrel, to lack of gratitude. This is Jodorowsky.

The general interpretation of the 10 of swords (upright) is that of a balanced judgement, a high affection. Reversed, it means lack of judgement.

Here's a pic of the card

and the link http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mehNKxmIf_k/S ... rds-10.jpg

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:54 pm

My dear friend,
Thank you very much for attaching the picture of the 10 of swords. Now... that to me does not say much. I know it's all aout personal intuition, preference and insight..... but that to me is a nice drawing of nice colours.. I prefer to see the depiction of humans on cards, as I am doing readings to humans. See what I mean?

My first - and so far still - exposure to the tarot cards has been the RW - original and universal - and the nearest I could work with would be probably the Robin Wood deck. That does not I will not experiment at all with others. You mentioned another deck called Spirit ?? I might be interested in that...

Please keep the discussions coming..

Bless you and have a great day or evening.

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Cedars:

Below you can find a link with images from the Tarot of the Spirit. I have used this Tarot only for very personal questions such us: "How would I feel working on that place?" or "What is the best attitude to have with that person?" and so on. I have never used it to predict "concrete" events. You can also use it just to meditate on the figures, though i've never done that myself. The illustrations are beautiful and some of the major arcana have different names. For example, "the wheel of fortune" is called "Karma". Well, here's the link!

Bless u 2!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ta ... he-spirit/

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Thank you very much for the link Kaperuzita
I see what you mean about the Tarot of the Spirit.

Thank you once again.

snowdropfaerie

Post by snowdropfaerie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Personally I couldn't attune with Rider Waite, although I understand why it is the deck of choice for students.

My first contact with the Tarot, was when a friend of a friend gave me a reading using the Morgan Greer deck. I loved the artwork, when my reading had finished, the reader handed me the cards and asked me to read for her. As you can imagine I didn't believe I would be able to make any sense of the cards. But I was surprised at not only what the card was showing me, but what was coming from my mouth. It seemed to come from no where.

I am happiest when a reading comes with ease, when the cards are the prompts but the reading comes from within, at other times it can be a struggle on both counts.

Personally I started with the Mythic deck, and have also used the Arthurian Legend, however it does help if you have some knowledge of the legends, but again I like the imagery and I feel I can gain a lot of detail from both the symbolism and the artwork within the card. It surprises me at how for one reading you can see something and then fr another something completely different. I am also drawn back to Morgan Greer at times

I would think fom the date of your query that you have probably chosen your deck, but it is always worth looking on the web or within a bookshop to see which deck and its representation attracts and talks to you.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:22 am

OK Guys,

Once again, we have a discussion as to which is the "best deck" to use!!

Every reader has their preferance! By no means are any of us in a position to critisize the other for the deck being used.

Tarot is not about the deck you use, no not at all!! Each and every card has a diferent implication to each and every reader. In essence, the proposed interpritations of the cards, has no real substance, when a reader uses and learn it, as a parrot would repeat the inconceivable words from the prolonged exposure to the same phrase or melody.

We will not find one single book that gives a reader the "ultimate" in knowledge and understanding, nor would we find any reader with the ultimate knowledge and comprehension, if a reader thinks that, he or she has a pipedream in essence.

When we go back in the history of Tarot, we will find that all, Major and Minor Arcanum cards, had images and symbolism intertwined on each card. The RW deck and the Thoh deck is based on the historic cards, and doesn't only give insights to Tarot students. I can't see the practicality of having to interpret extrodinary artistic depictions and irrelavant symbolism, created by the "best" Tarot designer. The mer fact, which should not be discarded, is that we should not try to re-invent the wheel. It's round, if we try to make it any other shape, shame for us.

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:10 pm

I don't take the tarot cards as looking at some 'lovely pictures'. If I wanted to look at 'lovely pictures' I would choose some nice scenery or whatever else to relish my eyes and feel good about it.

Painting glamour pictures as tarot cards, in my opinion, kills it completely. I have seen some of decks (am not mentioning any names here) and the impression I got was like watching the parade of models for either evening dresses or erotic, Anne Summers gear. Where is all the symbolism gone? Why do they discard those subtle and poignant symbols which I am sure we all need ample time to view and study and understand?

I do not collect tarot decks for the simple reason that I am comfortable with my Rider Waite and I am aware there is still a lot to learn about them. There is no point in collecting decks just because they have 'lovely pictures.'

As for a favourite deck, I would respect that for each individual if this or that deck 'speaks' to them.That is something very personal and not a point of criticism.

My favourite is still the Rider Waite, NOT because it is easy to read as some people have convinced themselves (hence good for students), but because it embodies such symbolism that others simply copy and some don't even do a good job at it either. Why should a deck be difficult to read? The reason, I think, that the RW is good for learners is because it does feed the pupil with the ability to start appreciating the symbolism and start ASKing questions. The more questions are asked, the deeper they delve into it.
This has got nothing to do with ease; it is more of a matter of depth.

In this I agree with Payewacker that painting Hollywood style glamour pictures as Tarot cards, for me, simply ridicules the cards.

Return to “Tarot”