How do you assign a timeframe using your Tarot deck?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Payewacker

How do you assign a timeframe using your Tarot deck?

Post by Payewacker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi Guys,

This posting is a follow-on, from the yes/no topic, and was suggested by Cedars.

A very good question, how do we determine a timeframe, are you comfortable in doing it, or are you ----out of your league---!!!

I have given timeframes in the past, but it was done "on the fly" and not by actually studying or counting the cards and the likes.

I have read that timeframes can be attached to events in the following fashion;

Swords---Years,
Cups---Months,
Pentacles---Weeks, and
Wands---Days.

Now, this actually pertains to the Celtic Cross spread. You would count the numbers of the cards, backwards from card ten, to your first card. The Court cards are not counted at all, you just skip them.

An interesting thought, or lightbulb explode in my head!!! What if the card is reversed, would you add or subtract?

I devised my own way of doing timing by asigning every card to a week of the year with the Court cards in their own pigeonhole.

So, here we go, what are your thoughts.

Please, let's make this a "Braveheart" experience!!!!

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:46 pm

OK,

Now, asigning the cards to a week in a year, posed a problem. 52 weeks---pip cards, what about the Court Cards. When you look closely at the images on your Court cards, you will find the Zodiac or set of Zodiac signs the Court Cards influence.

Now, if the King of Wands is Leo, it means he controls the Fire signs? The King of Pentacles, Aries--Earth, King of Cups, Pisces--water, the King of Swords, who would he be?

Let's get very specific now. We look at, who is the youngest in the Court cards--who is the youngest in the Zodiac?

Blessed be

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Good topic Payewacker

I am still trying to post/attach my timing sheet. MB does not accept neither Excell nor Word files....... I feel stuck......

But let us not lose the momentum on this topic. Very complex and yet dear to my heart.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi Cedars,

Yes, i've also had the problem wanting to post Word documents as attachments-- no go.

I now merely copy the contents and paste it into the message body.

I don't know how we will get the excell sheets attached, because to type them over and do groupings is a tedious task. Perhaps if we ask Admin, they may be able to receive it as an attachment to an e-mail, and then voila?

Or, what if you just print the doc, scan it, or save it, as a JPG and then post it?

Blessed be

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:31 am

Hi Cedars and Payewacker, about your timeframes, if you have a gmail account you can upload them as document and "share on the web" to post the link here.

When giving timeframes I'm very general and I only know that minor arcana are months while major arcana are days. Based on this, depending on the cards I tell the querent  if the "event" will come soon or if it will take time. Then, also, you can assign seasons to the cards:
- Wands: Spring
- Cups: Summer
- Swords: Fall
- Pentacles: Winter

I've used this successfully everytime :) But I'm intrigued with your time-frames, please find a way to upload them!

Blessings :D

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:23 am

This is where confusion and difference of teaching / opinion arises regarding the seasons in tarot.
I have finally come to the easy conclusion that seasons are as follows:

Cups: Spring (water, springs, snow melting)
Wands: Summer (heat/fire element)
Swords: Autumn (wind/air)
Pentacles: Winter (earth/damp/wet).

For example: two of wands would be the second week of the summer, eight of swords would be the 8th week of autumn and so on...... Aces are the start of the seasons and the numbers then follow suit as the number of weeks.

As for Court cards they are the transitional period between beginning and end of each season. If we really have to take the court cards (except the knights) in their astrological signs, then that would give a better picture. For example King of Wands, Aries, March 21 - April 19.

As to what the knights are, I have no idea.

Regarding the seasonal meanings above, sometimes they make sense to me and sometimes they dont.
So, the jury is still out on that.

Any more ideas as to what the seasons are to others?
Swords---Years,
Cups---Months,
Pentacles---Weeks, and
Wands---Days.

Now, this actually pertains to the Celtic Cross spread. You would count the numbers of the cards, backwards from card ten, to your first card. The Court cards are not counted at all, you just skip them.
I am lost here Payewacker.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Cedar

The King of Swords is Aquarius

Yes, this is now where we get to differing ideas;

Wands-Leo-Summer
Swords-Aquirius-Winter
Cups-Pisces-Autumn
Pentacles-Taurus-Spring

Ok, the timing in as I described eg:

10--Hermit--not counted
9--2 of Swords--2 years
8--3 of Wands--3 weeks
7--Ace of Pentacles--one day
6--Page of Cups--not counted
5--3 of Pent--three days
4--6 of Swords--6 years

So, it would be 2+6=8 years (Swords), three weeks and four days! I've never used this way of timing events. I read it a book, i also use a spreadsheet where I assigned the cards to specific weeks. To me it didn't make sense, because it's difficult to think we can predict up to 20 years, don't work for me.

Blessed be

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:06 pm

I think we have opened a can of worms here and I half wish we do not to continue with this.
There are so many different and contradictory opinions about the timings and, now I see from you, even the zodiac signs, I think it is better for every one to stick to what they believe.

When I get the patience, I will convert my table into a word document and cut and paste it in here.

My intention is not to contradict anyone because I have read so many times that there are different opinions about this topic in the tarot. I am not saying who is right or wrong...... but I will say if you feel what you feel is right, then stick to it.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:15 pm

I think I mixed up the weeks and days cards, but as I said, never use this system, I'm sure you guys get the idea?

Blessed be

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Cedars,

NO man, this is intereseting, how I stumbled on the Zodiac signs is actually right infront of you. Look at the Thrones of the Kings.

Pentacles-Taurus, on the throne, earth sign because you also see some gnomes around. Look behind her head, gnome--the Elemental spirit of earth.

The King of Cups-Pisces, he has a fish dangling around his neck, and to the left of him a live fish--the Queen has mermaids the elemental spirit of water.

The King of Wands is Leo, on the throne, and salamanders are the elemental spirit of fire. The Queen has a cat and above her head two leos facing each other--twins--Gemini? (gues) and a sunflower-Summer

The King of Swords on his throne next to his left ear, is an archer, here again sylphs, the elemental spirit of air, You also have the butterflies and sylphs on the Queens thrown.

Blessed be

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi Kaperusita,

I dis you proposed with hosting it at gmail. But I see that the dates were changed. I did this sheet in 2007, there is a bit of work on it now. but will edit it tomorrow.

Here's the link:  
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 3YdlSjVAcA.

Blessed be

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Payewacker, your link is not working.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi Cedars,

ugh, you know, technology is wonderfull, but sometimes we confuse the the smallest calculator. Will try tomorrow. Need to follow Lp and see she stays on board. Her son seems a busy boy??
Blessed be

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am

Ok. Here we go. For what it's worth, here is my take on the tarot astro signs by way of the court cards, excluding the Knights.

I base my readings, sometimes zodiac assumptions or element (fire/water/earth/air) based on these and have not been wrong so far.

As for the Timing element, especially the last column, I have not experienced those yet...

I am sorry, the attachment will come out rather big on your screens - apologies in advance.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Cedars,

One thing is foresure, we can all read exactly what you say. Maybe with one exception. Lp may have glasses chipped from the surrounding rock and use dark bottle bottoms as lenses---the sun, a bit brighter around those parts?

Blessed be

Return to “Tarot”