developing a new spread

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

blackbird4

developing a new spread

Post by blackbird4 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi I have just begun to read...and I was wondering...do you have to use traditional speads? As I am working I find that I am develping a new spread (or I think it is) is it appropriate to lay the cards in such away that is natural to the reader even if it is not conventional or tradional?

Many thanks
take care

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Blackbird, I design my own spreads so that they fit the question and the seeker and give the most information. If you are learning you might like to try story telling lay the cards out one at a time and read the story, it really helps to increase the speed of interpretations. Use the spread you design just be careful to design it before you ask the question and shuffle :)
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:01 am

Hi Blackbird,

It's wonderfull to meet you,

As Cascade of light said, you can go with your gut feel. But, you need to design and imprint it in your mind first, before you start shuffling and placing your cards.

Interesting about the telling a story, i have done that many times before. I love to tell fairytales, it just makes it so interesting and uplifting, then in the end i will get back to reality and give a short paragraph of advice or something like that.

Please join us on the Tarot forum and tarot reading forums as well, most of us spend 90% of our time on those forums.

Welcome to our community

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:04 am

Blackbird,

Sorry, i forgot to add. When u design a spread, you should always make sure that your querant knows exactly what the card placement mean, and you need to always explain this clearly, even to the Tarot.

Blessed be

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:51 pm

I agree with Cascade and Payewacker.

So many times I have seen readings in these forums whereby the reader just goes off and does his/her reading without actually telling what card fell under what position on a spread.

There are many, many spreads available, but one day you will realise you are using only few of them. But, as my friends above explained, always decide on what spread you are going to use before you shuffle the cards and ask the question or the querent concentrate on their question.

You have raised this query in the Rider Waite Tarot forum. There is a general Tarot forum where we raise and discuss questions put forward by members.

Please join us there too :)

Rhutobello

Re: developing a new spread

Post by Rhutobello » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:09 pm

blackbird4 wrote: As I am working I find that I am develping a new spread (or I think it is) is it appropriate to lay the cards in such away that is natural to the reader even if it is not conventional or tradional?
Many thanks
I might throw in a torch...or at least one of my thought :)

Tarot is a prediction tool, where the play between cards and Reader "might help" the seeker to get some leads toward the question which bother him/her.

Since the play is between card and reader, and nothing is set in stone, evaluating of the different cards, in compare to the question might differ highly between different readers.

This is caused by the fact that we have different levels of education in life.

Let say the question is known by the reader from before, he/she have had time to evaluate it and have got a greater understanding of its nature.

When the card is put out, he/she will then use this knowledge in the reading, and that is one of the reason for a difference.

Now back to spread.
Spread are again just a help for the reader to get the information he/she want.

If he/she find that those spread he/she has used up to now don't give the full control over what he/she want to say, then a creation of a new one might be in order.
As long as this spread then function for the Reader who created it, everything is fine....it don't necessarily need to function for us outside it.

This is why there is 1000 of decks and spread out there, it is because the diversity is so great, we can never know them all, so again the most important thing will be....Do it speak to you as Reader?....then it works :)

That said, I will also agree that we should state what spread we used, and if one we have created ourselves, give a bit info about it.

This is mostly done so we all can grow, so we might discover new angels to see thing, or in order to learn by using the reading as a tool (if we want)...that will improve us all :)

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi all! It is also a good idea to start from a "template" reading and modify it according to your needs or what you feel. The important is to keep in mind the spread when you're doing the reading :P

Mystic_Mdn

Developing a New Spread

Post by Mystic_Mdn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Usually, I use the Tarot Speads that I have developed myself. :smt109  

I first started to do Tarot readings, using the "traditional" spreads like the Celtic Cross, and the Hungarian Spread. :smt002

As I progressed forth to higher levels (step by step), I developed my own spreads, and even to this day, I am still growing and developing other spreads. :smt054

But if you are just beginning to read, I would suggest sticking to the more "Traditional", eventually, as you grow, you will be able to develop your own Tarot spreads.

One thing though, as you learn, always remember that the cards are simply tools or aides that are there to help you as you grow.

Welcome to The Family! :smt052

George

Re: developing a new spread

Post by George » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:12 am

blackbird4 wrote:Hi I have just begun to read...and I was wondering...do you have to use traditional speads? As I am working I find that I am develping a new spread (or I think it is) is it appropriate to lay the cards in such away that is natural to the reader even if it is not conventional or tradional?

Many thanks
As everyone has said in one word or another No you don't have to use traditional spreads!  actualy making you own is actually kind of fun so go for it!  :smt020

:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

ThePilgrim

Post by ThePilgrim » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Yes, from my experience (though very limited till now) with tarot readings, conventional spreads generally serve as starting points. Based on actual querent problem, it is always welcome move to have a custom spread guided by your intuition.

blackbirdrising

Post by blackbirdrising » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Payewacker wrote:you should always make sure that your querant knows exactly what the card placement mean, and you need to always explain this clearly, even to the Tarot.
Ditto to what Paye said  :)  I'm new to this site, just found this - and had to reply because your screen name is almost identical to mine.  

Nice to meet you, blackbird!

Return to “Tarot”