Want advice on how to spread cards

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Eskhe

Want advice on how to spread cards

Post by Eskhe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:57 pm

I am new to Tarot, I would love to learn the same. Can anybody advice on how to spread cards?

Do u suggest any documents / books which are available for free on Internet?

Appreciate your support.

Thanks,
Eskhe

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 pm

if you have internet access, just make a search for tarot spreads and you will get all sort of sites.
But, if you are new, the best spread to practise with is the three card spread, or the past, present and future spread.

Dont go on trying the complicated spreads, like the Celtic Cross and the likes.

If you get stuck or have any questions, some great people on this site will be willing to help you.

saboinia

spreads

Post by saboinia » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:32 am

i agree that you need to read every thing that you can and start with the simple one card two card three card spreads first.  there is this one website called tarotcollege.com it costs about thirty dollars for a lifetime membership an all they teach is divination in all its forms. but check the boards first why pay when you can get it for free?

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Eshke,

It's so wonderfull to welcome new members and especially those passionate about Tarot.

Regarding spreads;

I agree totally with Cedars and Saboinia. However, when you start reading or studying Tarot, it's best to also decide which spread you want to use long term, and concentrate in developing your skills around this spread.

Although some readers want to simplify the one, two or three card spreads, these spreads give as much information as any other, it's a matter of how you read your cards, use your intuition and knowledge.

There are so many spreads, it's in fact a maze, you need to find the exit of!!

If you are confronted with a thousand spreads, what do you want to read? In that sense, it can be beneficial for you to design your own, clearly defining each "house" and considering how the cards may influence each other.

In this then, what suits your need, and how will you solve or apply your preferance?

Blessed be.

lemonpip

Post by lemonpip » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:29 pm

koooooie boyz :smt002 and gals,

ees son for lemonpip, tranquila, noew beeg bubies, nd stryt lyn. teenk mor besness fo bos. ee lykes tu mutch now.

muther weet big hair on face, go to phufel, seet looong tyme, tinking for these   for wack te pee. say mybe bells not ring to much, need tuul for better wack, mybe bels ring loud.

for you eshke ees eezy, fater tyk half, and cheeck for happeen. wen luk no for tym, ees wack on bels, no gud reeng. ees lyk bysikel hit pavmant, cee what u seet, kaput, finis bells reeng beree loud

sunlight

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:16 pm

:) Hi, Eshke! Great to see you around.

I remember a post some time ago in which we fought to the death -well, in a pacific way- defending our favorite spreads. I seem to recall Payewacker backing up the Celtic Cross like he was its father, hee, hee. Actually, since that was the first spread I learned, I tend to fall back on it quite a lot, but there are great spreads shared by others in this same forum. I take good note of them whenever I come across one.

I use 3 card spreads as a sort of appetizer when the cards have just been shuffled: they give us a glimpse of the goods to come, or rather a summarized version of the situation.

Then I go on to a larger spread, depending on the scope of the question: if it is fairly concise, 5 to 7 card spreads will do nicely. If the querent wants a general view, 10, 12 or bigger card spreads will usually reflect several aspects of his/her life.

There is even a spread that uses all 78 cards and takes several hours to read: it's really exhausting and it is called the Tree of Life, based on Hebrew cabala, I believe.

I would suggest, once you are familiar with linking the meanings of 2 or 3 cards into a sentence, to look for some 5-7 spreads. They are easy to learn by heart and you can adapt their meanings to the questions quite easily  :smt002

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 am

I agree with pirbid.

I favour a 5 card spread just now and a three card spread when i want a short answer.

However there are many ways to read cards and you can develop your own spread and then share it with us.  I have seen many innovative ways to read the cards over the years.

Suzi

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:41 am

HI Pirbid

You don't come back without paying a price for your absence :)

Can you share with us your 5 or 7 card spread? Or, is this just a random 5 or 7 cards without any specific placement for each card? I sometimes like to lay down a number of cards without adhering to a certain spread structure and see what their messages are - a sort of general theme of what is going on.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:19 am

:) You are right, Cedars. I thought of posting some last night, but was too tired to bother. I promise to post some nice ones as soon as I can get round to the files, although I confess I have gotten some really nice ones from this forum!

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:00 am

Ok, I think I will begin a new thread and see if more people are willing to share their favorite spreads, so we can all benefit. So look up "Favorite Spreads"

Return to “Tarot”