Gypsy, Hungarian or any other name Tarot help!

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

DizzyDragonfly

Gypsy, Hungarian or any other name Tarot help!

Post by DizzyDragonfly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:17 am

Hi guys,

I have a deck of Tarot cards that I bought off Ebay, must be about 4 yrs ago. They are those marsielle (sp) type ones.With English being my one and only language, the writing puts me off.  I was thinking of getting another deck that may be easier for me to learn.

So I was searching the net, for decks in the hope that one would pick me, when I came across sites where I had to choose between Gypsy Tarot or Hungarian Tarot...even Russian Tarot at one site.

Is this only where they originate from or do they each have their own rules? What would the Rider waite deck be classed as then? Is it better to choose a deck on the pictures of the cards or the "ease" of reading in the case of learning. ?

gee, I am now confusing myself, can someone shed some light in my direction please?

Thanks,
K

:smt017

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:08 am

Hi Dizzydragonfly,

It truly seems as if you are dizzy, and have a wobble in one wing :smt003, no offence just a joke.

Tarot de Marseilles is a very basic deck, with little symbolism by which you can link cards and derive at subtle nuances in a reading.

You can think of getting the RW, this deck is primarily based on The Sola Busca, and a lot of research. It has vivd imagery and clear symbolism. In fact, most "newer decks" are based on the RW to a large extent. With this in mind, for you to easily understand and develop your reading ability, would be to go for the one that is a foundation stone to Tarot today.

Scroll down on this forum, I did a posting Tarot, or learn Tarot and you may find some handy hints.

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:10 am

I agree with Payewacker.
If English is your only language, why aim for non-English based tarot deck my friend?

The Rider Waite Original or Universal (brighter and clear pictures) in my opinion is the best deck to start learning the tarot because, as Payewacker said, it has such a wealth of symbolism in it and I believe symbolism is important in tarot.

I have never connected with the Tarot de Marseilles, because it looks so basic and as though the pictures were drawn by a child. Each to their own, of course; there are those who get on very well with this deck.

Good luck and let us know what deck you got.

DizzyDragonfly

Post by DizzyDragonfly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:45 am

hehe.  Well I bought the deck off Ebay, and at the time I didn't know just how many different decks there were, let alone different languages. I just thought there were Tarot cards. That is it. And when I couldn't get "into" them, I put them away.

I have been using my Lenormand cards (Titania) and wanted to explore some deeper meanings. Having lost my Tarot book, I jumped online to look for another..found this site, and here we are discussing the different types of cards.

Yes, I am dizzy with confusion at this stage.  haha

I will look into getting the Rider Waite deck. And I will get a book while I am at it, as I understand from reading other threads that the books that come with the cards is not very thorough.  I saw the learn Tarot section, and I am itching to start, but will wait for my new cards.

Thanks so much for your help.

K

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:04 am

Good luck Dizzy,
Please note we are here to help you with any question you may have. You can read all you want in the learn tarot forum, and yuo can ask your questions and discuss things in the Tarot forum.

See you soon.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:37 pm

:) Hello, everyone!

Dizzy, you got really good advice. I agree with Cedars that it is quite hard to relate to the hyeratic pics shown on medieval decks. Also, Rider Waite and those based on it have a great advantage over older ones, specially while still learning: ALL 78 cards are conveniently illustrated. Considering we should know all those meanings, it is great to use a deck that readily reminds you of them.

But you are right in thinking that the best way to get the deck that will work for you is to browse through several... which of course they won't allow you to do when shopping. Still, I found it useful to visit some web pages dedicated to listing all decks -or as many as possible- since they usually post as many as 9 cards from each and that lets you get a good feeling before deciding. You could try Aeclectic, for example.

Still, if you are really new to this, the Rider is still the clearest to read and fairly cheap to obtain, since it is so popular there are several versions and reeditions around.

As for the book, I think it is a good idea to browse the tutorials in this forum: they are a fast and practical way to get started without learning by heart, and they are free.

Good luck!  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

Return to “Tarot”