FAVORITE SPREADS

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

pirbid

FAVORITE SPREADS

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am

:) Cedars dared me to post some nice and easy 5 to 7 card spreads, which I said were convenient to learn and apply for beginners. At least I found them so and they are still good fun to use.

Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:24 am

Ok, so here is my first one. I uploaded it because it is so self explanatory -took me a few tries to get the right size so it could be readable-. It's great when getting to know the seeker, and also as a pastime for friends who are learning at the same time. Or even as an eyeopener for yourself, since the result changes slightly as time passes. Hope you enjoy it.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:41 am

:) Since I began with a 4 card spread, I will give you another before I begin 5 card spreads. I find 4 cards are not very commonly used. In fact, most spreads seem to use an uneven number of cards. This can be due to their layouts looking better, but I believe it may be because it is easier to see the final card, the one with the outcome or solution. Any comments on this?

THE BUTTERFLY SPREAD is used to determine the outcome of projects, specially group ones. The numbers indicate the order in which the cards should be laid out.

4. BUTTERFLY

3.  CHRYSALIS                        1. EGG

2. LARVA

1. Egg: it is the center of the idea, its germ. Is it the right sort of energy for this project?
2. Larva: what to do and how to do it. Who will assume responsibility for this task? Will all egos involved in this project join to make it come true?
3. Chrysalis: Why did you adhere to this project? Is it for the common interest or were you thinking only of your own benefit? If the last, the energy available for the project will be much thinner.
4. Butterfly: it tells you what sort of outcome or payment you can expect in the end. Also if the energy is well aligned with the project. The result can be economical, but not always.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:26 pm

:) The next 5 card spreads are based on a compass -so they should be easy to use for the Feng Shui posters in the forum :smt002 -. They are great for seekers looking inside themselves at times when they can feel lost. All 3 spreads are built in the same order, which is the following:

4. N

3. W      5. C      1. E

2. S

YOUR NOW: things you need to know about your personality, and how you are learning from yourself and others.
1. East: usually reveals where your spiritual strength lies at this moment and the direction it is taking. But it can sometimes point out the obstacle which is presently obscuring your vision.
2. South: This is what your inner child is learning while your adult self walks through life. This is what you need in order to have faith in you and what you must feed in your growing process.
3. West: Your inner solution to the present obstacles in your life. What you must pay attention to, and how to reach the goals you now desire.
4. North: How to integrate and apply the knowledge gleaned from the other directions. This is the key to knowledge that allows you to connect with your highest goals and intentions.
5. Center or the Secret Mountain: It asks you to look at the present and see how or where is the cross between your spiritual and physical realities. It will tell you how they have fused into your present "you". Tomorrow you will have evolved and this card will have changed. See what you need to change now, whether you are balanced or knocked off your center, and if you need to enter the silence in order to get some answers.

IMAGE: this spread reminds me a little of the Blind Spot, but it refers to a single person or group whose opinion you may be worrying about.
1. East: This card tells you how the person perceives you from a spiritual point of view.
2. South: How he/she sees you in the material world.
3. West: How this person could react in answer to your deepest desires.
4. North: How he/she perceives you intellectually.
5. Center: His/her total perception of you, or how this person can respond immediately to your presence.

THE MOON: this Major arcane represents the unconscious, and this is what this spread will tell you about. It will help you to part the veil of lies and self delusions that we all tend to apply when trying to avoid growing.
1. East: This is the key to open your spiritual nature and clearly see your natural talents and spiritual abilities.
2. South: This is the card for recent growth or seeds. Consider it for possible new beginnings, either in your personal relationships or in relating to your environment. It can reveal your hidden feelings towards a person or object, so heed it well.
3. West: The dream within the dream. It can lead you to your true goal in life, so study it closely. Is your dream or vision a product of your superficial ego, or are you being truly introspective and developing your highest aspirations?
4. North: Inner wisdom. This is a great card to get to know yourself better: if you study it closely, you will break any self delusions inside you. If you are seeking answers elsewhere, this card will gently push you to follow your own initiative and find your inner wisdom.
5. Center: This is your root, your center. Know this inner core and nor yourself nor others will ever be able to deceive you again.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:00 pm

:smt004 Before I go on to higher card spreads, I would like to share a final 5 card one, which is quite special to me.

While most of the spreads I use have been gathered over many years from friends and books -even those not concerning Tarot but different deck systems-, this one I made up not too long ago when faced by a puzzling querent. Of course, they say everything is already invented, so what I mean is that I have not yet seen this particular spread anywhere but in my mind.

We had been trying to ascertain the outcome of a certain situation, but the final cards tended to be negative and we could find no reason for them. So I thought to focus on the seeker's attitude, which is usually the key to most situations. In order to lighten up the mood, I made the spread quite anatomical  :smt003

1. HEAD

2. RIGHT HAND           5. HEART         4. LEFT HAND

3. BUTT

1. Head: This card represents what the seeker has in mind, so it should be already known to him/her. Still, it can reveal further motives we are not very aware of, or that we do not want to avow to others.
2. Right hand: The steps the seeker is seen to be actively taking in the matter. They can be heavily influenced by the image we would like to give to others, and sometimes these actions do not help our own goals very much.
3. Butt: This not very decorous position represents the unconscious drives, often hidden even from ourselves, so it can be very revealing. These deep seated desires or even fears are often the reason why we -or something obscure- seem to be sabotaging ourselves, so it is important to heed them well.
4. Left Hand: These are the actions one would like to hide from others, with or without good reason, since we are sometimes ashamed to show parts of ourselves that everybody shares more or less openly. Here we found the key to actions that were hindering rather than helping things along, since we tend to feel uneasy when we have to hide things from others and that takes much energy away from where it is most needed.
5. Heart: This card draws you back to the real reason behind the situation. How you really feel about things right now and whether it is still worth it to pursue this goal or if things would be best left alone.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:33 pm

I like the last two Pirbid..... the East/South one and the anatomy one.
I'm a bit confused with the Blind Spot one; hmmmmmmm may be I should re-read...

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Glad to hear you like them. The compass readings are 3 different possible position meanings using the same layout.

Let me explain about the Blind Spot, since I am aware it looks a bit different from the usual layouts. You can read the 4 cards in any order you like, but this is the order I usually read them in, so just imagine I am doing this reading for you, only without any actual cards:

- The top card on the left is your known identity: both you and those who know you see you like this, or can perceive these aspects in you -those represented by the card laying on this position-.

- The bottom card on the left is your Shadow: you know about it but try to keep it concealed from others.

- The top right card is your Blind Spot: you do not know about it yourself but it is plain for the others to see, so pay attention to the card that falls on this position.

- The bottom card on the right is the Great Unknown: usually your innermost core, which as yet nor you nor anybody else have found out about. Interesting card, this...

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Aha...... he says. Now it make sense. Thank you my friend.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:20 am

:) Shall I post some 7 card spreads? Or have you all had enough? Anybody got any good ones to share?

arcangelpa3

Post by arcangelpa3 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:23 am

hello there :smt006

i would like to see the 7 card spread im trying to learn them so it would be really helpful for me thanks in advance  :)

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:20 am

:) I am glad someone showed a little interest. I promise to post a few 7 card spreads as soon as my job and other activities allow me a little spare time.

Thank you for asking!  :smt002

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:39 pm

:) Ok, here are a few 7 card spreads, as promised. I remind you all that there are thousands of these around and these are not even the ones I use more often, since some of them are too specialized for my taste. I just thought we could all share a few.

For some reason, many spreads are linear, which perhaps makes them easier to read from a time perspective, but they look a bit boring. So I have included only a small selection of non linear ones.

The Decisions Game:
The numbers are the order in which the 7 cards are meant to be laid.
- Position 7: this card depicts the way the seeker is facing the issue and/or what is at the bottom of this decision.
- Positions 3-1-5: chronologically, what wil happen if you chose this path.
- Positions 4-2-6: chronologically, what will happen if you chose this other path.

In this spread, getting certain cards -in all positions but 7- has a special meaning:
- The Lovers: albeit unconsciously, you have already chosen this side.
- The Wheel of Fortune: even if you prefer the other path, the matter is leaning this way.
- The World: this is the option that suits you best right now.
- The Star: this is where your future lies.
- The Judgement: here you can find your treasure.

The author never explains what happens if you get two or more of the above cards in both sides of the question, so I guess the reader would have to improvise. Also, the spread is only useful in case there are only two possible ways out of a problem, or two choices. That is why I don't use it much  :smt017

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:01 pm

This is a though-provoking spread Pirbid.
Thanks for posting it.

As you said, there are a thousand spreads out there....... even one for losing weight I've seen :)))))

The mind boggles, eh?

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:02 pm

:) Another one:

The Relationship Game:               7                  2

6        1        3

5                  4

Once again, the numbers indicate the order in which the cards are laid.
- 1: The situation in which the relationship stands right now.
- 7+2 CONSCIOUS LEVEL: these two cards reflect what each person thinks about the relationship and how they each value it.
- 6+3 EMOTIONAL LEVEL: what each feels, perceives, misses or fears.
- 5+4 ATTITUDE: What each show the relationship to be on the outside, even if they think otherwise.

Pay close attention if the following cards come up in this reading:

Kings and Queens usually stand for men and women:
- If someone of the opposite sex appears on one of the lovers' column, there is another relationship for that member of the couple.
- If it is the same sex as the person reflected in that column, and lays in the medium or upper levels, this person worries about possible infidelities. If on the lower level, it's this person's image.

Knights usually express moods.

Pages represent external impulses or possibilities out of the relationship. If found on position 1, the Page is an enriching external experience.
On the superior level, what this person thinks he/she wants from the other.
On the medium level, what he(she really wants from the other deep inside.
On the lower level, what he/she is really getting from the other.

Even though my girl friends really enjoyed playing around with this spread, I never found it much more than a pastime, specially since I rarely ask the cards about my love life. And, if I do, I try to do it more thoroughly.
Kings and Queens sexes are not that easy to determine in gay unions.
Also, it is not always easy to determine which side is which lover, at least not if you try to base yourself on the cards on each side. So some people try to chose sides in advance and that sometimes becomes trickier still. Not such an easy game as it could appear initially.
But some may enjoy it, or so I hope  :smt002

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:06 pm

:smt007 Is there really one for losing weight? If it works, I really need it!!! :smt003  Where did you say you saw that one????

Return to “Tarot”