First tarot

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Horser55

First tarot

Post by Horser55 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Hello!

As some of you might know, I've been poking around the forums getting picture readings and trying to figure out if I have psychic abilities etc.

I bought my first tarot deck today ^_^. Although I feel like I might have bought the wrong "kind" I'm not sure : \  

You can see it here: http://www.flipkart.com/mystic-tarot-pa ... 6zx3fdq7wc

My sister and I read the book it came with - we did a three card spread and read the "keys" to the cards and what they meant, but the book recommended we ask a question. I asked if I would ever be going to back t school - the first card we did told me about relationships etc. and I just didn't see how that would apply....

I'm just feeling a little lost. Any tips?
"The man who smiles when something has gone wrong has thought of someone to blame it on."

chelsh1776

Post by chelsh1776 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Oh yea and we tried the 12 card spread that went along with our astrology (this was in the back of the book) and it made absolutely ZERO sense.  We didn't know what the "personality sector" was. When the author of this books gives descriptions of the cards she has it in sections like "Love reading" "Life reading" and "Luck reading". When doing the 12 card spread we were unsure which section to go from.....

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:45 am

Hello Horser

I could not see the details of the cards on your link for your deck.
Why do you feel it is the wrong deck for you? If you feel this way for a little while longer, may be you should change it and go to a more user-friendly deck. I would suggest the Rider Waite Original or Universal. Have a look on the sites and also in here on some of the pictures. You can see these also under the Learn Tarot forum.

As regards you question, we all have the temptation to ask Yes or No questions at first when we start learning the tarot. Sometimes the answers given to us are complex and unless we know the cards well, then we will not be able to decipher the true message. Secondly, I would avoid Yes or No questions, for even if you got the No answer, what makes you think that you cannot change the course of events and turn it into a Yes? I know, I know... there are situations that perhaps we could not change... but all I am saying is that start with simple spreads, e.g. a card a day and follow its message. Or, three card spreads such as Past, Present and Future..

But, most of all, get to know your cards without putting yourself under a lot of pressure.

Let us know how you get on.

Horser55

Post by Horser55 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:53 am

I don't necessarily think it's the "wrong deck" par-say, I think I'm just new to tarot and I need to learn more.... I have so many questions and I think today I kind of rushed it, tomorrow will be better. Doing a card a day - you just take the basic interpretation to heart?
"The man who smiles when something has gone wrong has thought of someone to blame it on."

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:57 am

I would first look at the card and without too much of an effort or pressure, see what the card tells you. Write your thoughts and feelings and then see what the book meaning says. Always check the book meaning afterwards..... Your intuition counts more than the book's meanings.

If your thoughts and feelings were totally different to that of the book, it does not mean you were wrong; it means that is how the card it spoke to you on that day and on that particular moment of time.

Horser55

Post by Horser55 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:01 am

Ok, I'll give it a go - the book is confusing, hopefully I will be buying a better one here soon.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:13 pm

:) I also highly recommend doing the Tarot tutorial that Seaneen posted. Have you checked it out yet? It's good fun to do and the first thing it tells you, just like Cedars did, is to always go by your intuition on the cards.
So, no learning by heart. Just check the book to find more meanings you might not have thought about at first. And read what others following the tutorial think about the cards without looking them up in any book: you will be amazed at the coincidences, but that is the way Tarot is meant to work: a collection of very universal images that generally bring the same ideas to mind, or very similar. Only very strange decks not based on the more classical ones can give you very different meanings. And that still doesn't mean anything: that deck will have other cards for certain meanings.

Please, try the tutorial and tell us how you do with it. I know you will love it  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

scarabcameo

a suggestion

Post by scarabcameo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:16 pm

An exercise I found helpful some years ago was to contemplate the meanings suggested for some of the major arcana and design a card that symbolized these meanings. If the deck doesn't become more open to you over time that exercise might be of value.

Return to “Tarot”