Six of Swords and Six of Cups

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

SaturninLibra

Six of Swords and Six of Cups

Post by SaturninLibra » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:14 am

what does this combination mean to you?     I read it as moving to more innnocent times?    I ask because I got a very vivid dream (I am getting a lot of dreams recently about a certain situation).   I just chose two cards to clarify what else I should know about this dream.
I used the rider deck no reversals.
Thanks.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi there,

To interprit, a combination of two cards only, is not necessarily a clear messege, unless you decided what each "house" describe, or whether one question, needs an answer. As what is the case here?

I will get them, but also all other sixes out.

All sixes are ruled by the Lovers, in which there are symbolism as well, which can give a better understanding of what you need to know.

By the way, What was your question?

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

SaturninLibra

Post by SaturninLibra » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi thanks for answering, I had a dream.    And I asked the cards what I should know about the dream.    So I picked only two cards.
Six of Swords and Six of Cups.
Do you need to know what I dreamed of exactly?

When I thought about this dream early in the morning I pulled two cards to give me a message on what the dreams means.    For me, cookbook interpretations never make sense to me, I always feel my dreams are deeper than that.

sweetsunray

Post by sweetsunray » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 am

Ah, a cookbook is indeed not the tasty food itself, but it can help people starting with cooking to create great dishes. :-)

The six of swords talks about the subdued emotion of moving on from a painful past... not everything is resolved, but most of it is, enough to accept and start the moving on process. The six of cups stands for pleasant memories, but also dwelling too much on the past and idealising it.

I'd say your dream then was about the realization that it's time to move on, instead of dwelling on the past.
Life is like a rose. The most beautiful ones have large thorns. You only need the courage to grab for them.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:44 am

Hi,

I didn't get to formulate a definite reply, but let me do a "quicky"

In the Hebrew Aleph-Beth, Six is assigned VAV. In this sense, we find VAV as the diagonal line in the letter Aleph, asssigned to the Magician. Now this is technical mumbo-jumbo, but be assured there is a meaning to the two sixes, presenting themselves.

Sweetsunrae gave you a good explanation, I'll do the hieroglyphs. The only other letter where VAV has a profoud influence is in the Magician. Aleph, the hebrew letter assigned to the Magician, consist of YOD-VAV-YOD, so 10+6+10=26. This is the 26 letter name of God, called the Tetragramaton.

In this sense then, when we now reduce this number, we find 26---or 2+6=8, which is the Strength card. Strength is in the second group of seven cards in the Major Arcanum. In this second set we find the 3 virtues. 8-Strength, 11-Justice and then Temperance, other faiths also include Prudence as a virtue.

Now, what is the significance of 6--VAV, this is the day, God created man! Six is also "balance"---don't confuse with the Two's, which mainly adress dualities.

Now. we need to look at the Yods.These are counted as Ten, reduce them to undr Ten, we find they become One, The number assigned to the Magician. We now have 2  ones and one six. 2+6=8, back to Strength.

In the normal spiritual teachings, Strength, is in fact what you and how dedicated you are to your God, and how your God can assist you, to create the reality you hope to acheive, from your faith in God.

Blessed be

SaturninLibra

Post by SaturninLibra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:43 pm

sweetsunray wrote:Ah, a cookbook is indeed not the tasty food itself, but it can help people starting with cooking to create great dishes. :-)

The six of swords talks about the subdued emotion of moving on from a painful past... not everything is resolved, but most of it is, enough to accept and start the moving on process. The six of cups stands for pleasant memories, but also dwelling too much on the past and idealising it.

I'd say your dream then was about the realization that it's time to move on, instead of dwelling on the past.
I did not see it that way but I appreciate your input.   So what if six of cups was before six of swords???    my dream was about my spirit guide telling me not to lose hope.  my guide was sitting on my bed as he told me this.  i experienced some confusion in my dream, that applies to me now.   there are so many things i get sort of confused about.   so i did picked these cards to get a better answer.    i realized today that six of swords is journy (i am going to over seas to study this January) and six of cups...could it mean have hope in my journey and have an innocent times, reconnect with old friends?     still not sure...maybe i have to wait untile January :smt002 .

SaturninLibra

Post by SaturninLibra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Payewacker wrote:Hi,

I didn't get to formulate a definite reply, but let me do a "quicky"

In the Hebrew Aleph-Beth, Six is assigned VAV. In this sense, we find VAV as the diagonal line in the letter Aleph, asssigned to the Magician. Now this is technical mumbo-jumbo, but be assured there is a meaning to the two sixes, presenting themselves.

Sweetsunrae gave you a good explanation, I'll do the hieroglyphs. The only other letter where VAV has a profoud influence is in the Magician. Aleph, the hebrew letter assigned to the Magician, consist of YOD-VAV-YOD, so 10+6+10=26. This is the 26 letter name of God, called the Tetragramaton.

In this sense then, when we now reduce this number, we find 26---or 2+6=8, which is the Strength card. Strength is in the second group of seven cards in the Major Arcanum. In this second set we find the 3 virtues. 8-Strength, 11-Justice and then Temperance, other faiths also include Prudence as a virtue.

Now, what is the significance of 6--VAV, this is the day, God created man! Six is also "balance"---don't confuse with the Two's, which mainly adress dualities.

Now. we need to look at the Yods.These are counted as Ten, reduce them to undr Ten, we find they become One, The number assigned to the Magician. We now have 2  ones and one six. 2+6=8, back to Strength.

In the normal spiritual teachings, Strength, is in fact what you and how dedicated you are to your God, and how your God can assist you, to create the reality you hope to acheive, from your faith in God.

Blessed be
thanks for your profound input.   is it okay that i am scratching my head over this :smt017 .
so if you reduce my two cards you get the strength card?

sweetsunray

Post by sweetsunray » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:26 pm

SaturninLibra wrote: So what if six of cups was before six of swords???  
Depends on the meaning of the order or position. But yeah, even if six of cups appears first, it indicates going down to memory lane, whereas six of swords means moving on.

You can see both of them as meaning two total different things, and being unrelated... but when twice the same number appears (certainly for 2 cards), then both cards have in common how a person deals with past events.
If a spirit guide tells you in a dream not to give up hope, I suspect the spirit guide is talking about the issue you dare not to hope for, the issue you fear would be wrong and leading to disappointment if you hoped for it. When a spirit guide tells you something in a dream, and you feel your dreams are so profound, then it does make me wonder why you asked for more clarification with tarot. Did you want the tarot to verify the spirit guide's words, or to what issue the spirit guide referred?

Asking for extra advice in tarot on this dream when a spirit guide has already given you advice, euhm well, it invites the tarot to play games. Tarot can play a game of confusion when you know and understand an issue and yet in your mind insist on being confused and not daring to believe it. When I think of the two sixes you pulled then that is what these two sixes seem to be doing... they are wilfully taunting you by mirroring your confusion:
1 - do I keep lingering on the good memories before things went wrong? (6 of cups)
2 - or do I move on and leave my hopes behind and forget my memories? (6 of swords)

This weighing mirror game by the tarot becomes even more evident, with your choice of number of cards... 2 cards, where 2 stands for dealing with duality.

Holding on to hope and good memories or moving on is a hard choice, especially when you fear that hope may lead you on to disappointment. Look at the two cards, and see how the woman in the 6 of swords is hiding in her coat, her shoulders hanging... she's doing the "smart" thing, but she lacks lust for life. In the 6 of cups though stands a person beaming, even if the gift comes from someone that is unlikely to be real. If the spirit guide said not to lose hope, then I think your way is that of the 6 of cups: trust your heart, it will make you the happiest. Perhaps it may not bring back the good old memories to life, but at least you will feel happier, and good memories should never be forgotten.

All the best :-)

SaturninLibra

Post by SaturninLibra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 pm

thanks you are right sweetsunray.   i do get confused when i have a dream and i always ask the cards to tell me more about the dream.   it does cause my confusion :smt009 .    thanks for that.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 am

Hi.

I used only th Major Arcanum, and work with 6-Lovers, 1-Magician.

If we do the same trick in your cards 6+6=12,  1+2=3

Now 3 0f Cups is merriment and three of Swords- heartache. Which will you choose for yourself?

I can't interprit these cards any further, as sweetsunrae dealt with it. Professional courtesy.

Blessed be

Return to “Tarot”