Turning Over Cards

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

renjer

Turning Over Cards

Post by renjer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am

Hi all, I'm new here, and new to tarot in general. I was wondering if there is actually a specific way to turn over cards. Eg, let's say you dealt the card face down. How would you turn it over? From side to side? Or from top to bottom? It's a bit hard to explain as I found that these two ways of turning over cards results in upright or reversed cards.

What would you do? Please let me know if I'm not clear as this is a bit hard to explain in words.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Why do you deal the cards face down in the first place?
If you deal them face up then you will either get upright or reversed.

I dont do much of a ritual in dealing the cards - they come as they come.

leatherdruid

Post by leatherdruid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:17 am

I personally don't believe it matters if you turn them side to side, or head over heels, as long as you always flip them the same way.  A couple of the older books out there say to flip them side to side, but these same books are full of very precise rituals in order to perform a reading.  If you are going to develop your own style, just pick one way to turn them and be consistant

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:52 am

I agree with leatherdruid !

renjer

Post by renjer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks, I've decided to flip them bottom to top from now on.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Sometimes, despite my efforts to have the cards upright, I DO get reversed cards; take them as they come - they may be trying to tell you something. The comment I was making was there is no need to follow a ritual or sideways, corss way or whatever way you they turn up. It is best to DEAL them face up.... whether they come upright or reversed is up to you to decide as to how you wish to do your readings.

I must correct myself: my comments were not towards upright or reversed cards (even though i dont reversals) but it was more about dealing the cards face up rather than down.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:53 am

Hi renjer,

I also don't really beleive in lengthy rituals and so on. What I do do, is to "clean" my cards.

This I do by packing all the suits from the highest to the lowest in sequence. I start with the Majors, then the swords, cups, pentacles and wands.

As for how to turn the cards, I do it from left to right. The edge furthest from me is the top. Then in the Celtic Cross, card 2's top is to the left.

But, this only has an influence when you read cards upright, or upright and reversed.

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

Return to “Tarot”