Different Tarot decks.

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Payewacker

Different Tarot decks.

Post by Payewacker » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi Guys,

This is a subject that has become a "mule" already! I have a few decks, but limit my readings to the RW. I found that we have absolutely beautifull cards. The images and artwork is truly magnificent.

However, when we get to look at the basic, or going back into the future, we see the RW is still on which most decks are based upon. See this as well, The RW had and was strongly influenced by the [urlhttp://mysticboard.org/mb-free-tarot-software/]Sola Busca Tarot[/url]. Then we also find strong Masonic influences. A.E Waite was a Master Mason, and member of the Hermitic order of the Golden Dawn.

The latter disappeared in silence, and I wonder if they still exist. Here we find A. Crowley, who's deck was done, long after his death!! Crowley?, a person on his own mission, and also habitated some distant planet.

My question is: Why do we need to interprit the imagery on the cards, and then hope to get to the basic Tarot meanings?

On many cards in the RW, we find divisions, these are there for a specific reason or purpose! Not only that, many aspiring Tarot readers are not aware of these.

What do you guys think?

Blessed be.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Paywacker you arent saying that about the Golden Dawn surely? They are still VERY active!

What do you mean by divisions?

Cassie
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi Cassie,

For sure, I'm talking about the Golden Dawn, if they are still active, yes, a big surprise to me! I just didn't bother much about them, so "no research" :smt100

You know with A. Crowley and his "paraphenalia" and S++ting on a carpet in someone's lobby, by which he offended his audience, and then still say he blessed the "house", I just steered clear, but, as in don't want to know at all!!!!!!!!!

Getting to the divisions in the cards,
I don't know how closely you've been following my "discussions" on the cards. We really find exact divisions. As an example we use 6 of Swords, 6 of Cups and even 4 of Cups, Eight of Cups, Six of Wands, I can list them, but get out your RW deck and start looking for the divisions, you will see and immediately realise what i'm on about.

Six of Swords.
You see 2 swords next to the woman and "child", 4 of Swords in front of them. How many people on the boat--3. So, we have 2 of Swords to the left, three people--three of Swords, what follows is infront of the woman and child 4 of Swords.
Then in 2 of Swords we see the X factor, it continues into the three of Swords, with one more Sword, thus we see a person having to protect and guard with a blindfold, but the problem is in the heart, not physical, 3 of Swords. Then look at 4 of Swords. This card has the Ace of Swords, under on the "coffin" and then the 3 others in a combining block, on it's own.
Consider the direction of the knight's head, and exactly where his hands interlock with the frame around the three Swords. In the window you see a woman and a child--why?

Go to this link, it should be: God, Geometry and Tarot:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZyuZ ... cGQ3&hl=en

In the Four of Swords, the threat is "contained"

Work with the RW, look for these divisions, and place them in the CC, then you can see, exactly where your querant may be stuck, because of a four!

Blessed be.
Do as you want, Harm none!

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Oh, sorry thought you meant a different kind of division lol,

So, do you think each deck that is not the RWS (and forget about Thoth/Crowley for a minute please) should be interpreted individually?  As the symbolism is so subjective in most modern decks it would seem to be logical?

Cassie
Cas x

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi Cassie,

We all have a specific take on a card. But, the symbolism is vitally important, it's subtle, at times hidden in the links and other descriptive meanings to expanding cards.

I have nice decks, but my goodness, some of them, I first need to know who's the Camel or the hound.

As you know, I have a tendancy to rather stik to the "original", that's where all was born.

The best deck, artificially is not always true to type! And now, i'm stepping on very thin ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some authors, who's books may sell, have artificial or surface knowledge only!!

My point is, get to know the RW, and then you get another deck. Doing this, will give you the insights needed.

Blessed be.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Lol, I have studied the RWS since I was a teenager. I also have worked on the Sola Busca but don't like the feeling I get about the professional plagiarism of artwork?
Cas x

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Cassie.

Yes, the Sola Busca was the first, or rather first complete deck. We see on the Knight of Cups, a huge "chalice" on the ground and I think wings on the headgear. I truly didn't have look see now. But obviously, it was the deck so many images were derived from!

You know that I'm adding Five additional Major Arcanum cards, for the five finals of the hebrew aleph beth. But, I'm basing the artwork on that of Pamela Coleman, so that we have the same theme. In doing this, I use images from the RW deck so as to maintain my slight additions to make for a complete Major Arcanum.

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:26 am

I like this thread, even though excuse me for not contributing to it --- Sometimes to sit back and read (and learn) is best :) and possibly lazy too.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Cedars.

MMM, we can really spread the word! Controversial subjects has a tendancy to have an "executive glide"--You know when you do the chair with wheel thing across the room?

The last time I did it, I came tumbling down, the center pin broke, not good for the MD in a boardroom :smt005

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:27 am

Ha Ha, Ha Payewacker...as long as you did not fracture a bone... :)

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:39 am

Hi Cedars,

No bone broken, but I had Lemonpip's packaging after the incident. You remember the date nuts on sale explanation!  :smt002

Blessed be

Return to “Tarot”