The Death Card

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

cedars
Tarot reader

The Death Card

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:14 pm

Something just happened to me right now and I would like to share it with you all.

The Death card:
Out of nowehere and without any reason, I was thinking about the Tarot Death card that whether it would actually mean physical death whilst there was the sun rising in the distant horizon. I had never seen the Death card as a physical death and, even after this incident, I still dont. Then the thought came to me that when someone has been ill for a long period and no cure or solution to their ailment, by their death someone else (their loved ones or their carer) will see a new page in their life i.e. some sunshine and and a new beginning in their life. (and of course peace to the deceased too).

This thought had just crossed my mind and I got the news of the death of a distant relative who had been bedridden and had become a vegetable for many years and through her death a member of our family (my cousin who had been looking after her all those years) would find release and peace - the sunshine on the card.

I was speechless at this untriggered thought of the Death card and the sudden news of the demise of a long-term ill person and through her death another member of family finding peace.

It is spookey or or a touch of intuition?

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Cedars,

Your thoughts on the Death card is very well based! Getting the thought of the Death card has to be your intuition. As you would feel guided to do a certain spread--Intuition, so are your thoughts guided by psychic flashes.

As to this card pointing to a actual death, is also probable, as this card is in the existential level of "being" or energy. If we look at the first nine cards of the Major Arcanum, these are archetypal and describe the route from Aleph to Yod--1 to 10, however Yod is the first card in the existential.

The Aleph-Yod cycle-(Life-Death principal), in the Archetypal, has a new cycle in the existential 10-18. It is in this sense that we find most of the letters in the existential is spelt YOD---Whatever! Therefore a new cycle of Aleph-Yod has been started, but on a level we call "our SPACE-TIME."

Here is an explanation:
Suares:   "Dallet-Mem-Tav (4.40.400): the physical resistance of structures, Dallet (4) finds its purveyor in the maternal waters, Mem (40), where all life originates. Tav (400) is the exaltation of the entire cosmic existence in its utmost capacity to resist to life-death. The root Dallet-Mem (Dam) is "blood" in Hebrew and the root Mem-Tav (Met) is "death." Thus the two together express the complete cycle of existence."

If we look at the two roots Dallet-Mem (Dam)--Blood and Mem-Tav (Met)--Death. Could this mean "blood death"? Someone versed in Hebrew will be able to agree or disagree, if this statement is possible!

If we look at Death, let's find it's complete implication in all levels.

The numeric values are: 4-40-400, Thus, 4-Emperor (Dallet--Door) Aries--Fire, 40-Death (Mem--Water) Scorpio--Water, 400-The Fool-(Tav--Cross) Air. Consider that the only fixed Zodiac in this equation is Scorpio-Death.

If we argue the point from this perspective, we can perhaps assume that a physical death is probable!

Blessed be.

Kimmee

Post by Kimmee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:56 pm

Which Tarot deck are you specifically looking at the picture of?

I looked through my decks (Archeon, Morgan-Greer, and Gilded) and none of them had sunshine on the death card. If I can see the picture you're looking at maybe it'll make more sense...  :smt048

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Payewacker

I would say it was a strong psychic experience. I had no reason whatsover to look at the Death card or had the deck anywhere near me. The thought just came to me and  I refused to take the Death card as the physical death, because I was more concentrating on the sunrise on the horizon.... The sunrise gave me the immediate thought that perhaps a carer to an ill person might enjoy peace - sunshine - and lightening their burden for the years of service given to the deceased member of that family.  A minute or two affer my contemplation, my brother told me about the demise of the said person  and my immediate thoughts went to my cousin who had been nursing the deceased for many years and the the peace and comfort she was now going to have.

I am still affected by this whole experience..

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:23 pm

Hello Kimmee
I use the Rider Waite deck...where there is sunrise on the horizon between the towers...

Kimmee

Post by Kimmee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:42 pm

The sun looks as if it's setting though... I did a search of what setting suns means in spirituality, and got a website about Buddhism.

There was a section (link above) about a sun-setting world where people are going into cocoons to avoid an endless night in a sunsetting world where they are attempting to avoid death. I think if you read that section it is exactly what you were talking about. It means that the setting sun was symbolic in Buddhism about if you go to sleep in such a way (avoidance) you're trying to ignore death, but it can release you from your bonds... It can bring you to the realization that you don't have to suffer anymore, after a long life fulfilled.

I used to work at a nursing home when I was a mid-teen and that's when I started to get into Tarot. It was weird how the people at the end of their lifetimes can feel so safe or happy or miserable but can't let go and people can't let them go even though they're suffering. They need to let go of their physical bonds and release like the sunset. I don't know how to explain what I just read on that Buddhist site, but it was inspiring to me on how I used to see the elderly in some way... Most people in nursing homes deserve to live there as long as they maintain their dignity and health/happiness, but once that's lost they need some release into the universe out of their hidden bonds of their living dead cocoon.

That was weird. Death can bring monumental change in one's life, yes, and maybe that means actual death.

Kimmee

Post by Kimmee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:56 pm

In the book I own Pictures of the Heart it mentions that in Rider Waite Smith it has a golden skeleton and golden sunrise (which it does) which connects it to the golden priest and the Hierophant. The card moves from the left to right, meaning the subconscious to the conscious.

Maybe the golden sunrise, NOT sunset, is showing that it is raising a new state of awareness about the death of someone who you knew. The death card when paired with The Hermit (try looking at them together?) can give forgiveness to those passed, as in actually just died. You should try to pair the death card with the other golden cards maybe if the sunrise sticks out that much to you...
The Priest and the Hierophant and the Sun, then look at it with the Hermit for forgiveness. Was the family ever angry at their family member for being a "vegetable" in their old age?

Think about it... sometimes I've found looking through the cards together can help a lot, with my book (I rely on a book still). It says it pairs those cards so I glance at them on the table together and see if it changes how I feel about it, that sunrise for example.

*hugs* Kimmee

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Thanks for your inputs Kimmee
Whichever way you look at it though - whether sunrise or sunset - but I believe the Rider Waite sees it as sunrise, the outcome is the same: end of something and the beginning of something new... a new day dawning? And your research on the Buddhist background does give the same thought and life-cycle process.

Welcome to the tarot forum and please feel free to comment and express your views. :)

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Cedars,

I'm sure you had a vivid experience, there is no doubt. Your fixed view of the sunrise between the towers, clearly shows release from a "mental" condition or freedom from a "mind related" condition.

At times we don't understand, but all are revealed in it's own time.

Blessed be.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:13 pm

Kimmee
What do you mean by Priest and Hierophant?
The Hierophant is the priest.... are you referring to the High Priestess as known in the RW deck?

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:40 pm

The veil or mask of life is perpetuated in change, transformation and passage from lower to higher, and this is more fitly represented in the rectified Tarot by one of the apocalyptic visions than by the crude notion of the reaping skeleton. Behind it lies the whole world of ascent in the spirit. The mysterious horseman moves slowly, bearing a black banner emblazoned with the Mystic Rose, which signifies life. Between two pillars on the verge of the horizon there shines the sun of immortality. The horseman carries no visible weapon, but king and child and maiden fall before him, while a prelate with clasped hands awaits his end.

There should be no need to point out that the suggestion of death which I have made in connection with the previous card is, of course, to be understood mystically, but this is not the case in the present instance. The natural transit of man to the next stage of his being either is or may be one form of his progress, but the exotic and almost unknown entrance, while still in this life, into the state of mystical death is a change in the form of consciousness and the passage into a state to which ordinary death is neither the path nor gate. The existing occult explanations of the 13th card are, on the whole, better than usual, rebirth, creation, destination, renewal, and the rest
 AE Waite 1910

{{{{{{{{{Cedars}}}}}}}}}  so sorry for your loss xxxxx

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks Cassie, but the deceased is not closely related to me; it is a distant relation and I hardly knew her.

Kimmee

Post by Kimmee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:04 pm

I was reciting what the book said in the text (from Pictures from the Heart by Sandra A. Thomson) I think maybe it was duel naming the card, just like "coins" and "pentacles" can be duel stated at times for clarification and be confusing instead of clarifying when that happens.

There is a golden-cloaked priest on the Death card itself from RW though. Do you find that significant?

Sometimes it isn't what the book says it's how you interpret it. If the first reaction was the picture of the Death card itself (which for me some reason the golden priest on the Death card stood out when I saw it online) maybe you could examine that thought, if it did occur to you.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Kimme,

When talking about the Death card, we need to consider all the symbolish contained in the card as well as all the links to other cards.

This card is probably one of the Majors that contain the most symbolism, eg:

The dead King: King of Cups---Scorpio--fixed,
The armooured figure of Death, being gold---A divine messenger, entering from the North-West corner--a Masonic ritual for an entering apprentice.
The Rosy Cross reversed, attached to a golden pole--"Wand"
The bridle of the horse with skull and bones--The way in which Masons are buried,
The "Priestly figure"--also submitted to physical death, Trumping the Kings and "Emperor",
The figure of Strength, Trumping the Hierophant.
The White Horse--Purity, bound by the figure of Death,
The Head of the Horse "in-line" with the North-West corner of the first tower, a masonic ritual in building, a person used to be killed and placed under the "cornerstone" of buildings in that orientation.

I refer you to my earlier posting on the Death card, specifically the part where I discuss the Hebrew Aleph-Beth, and it's implications.

The link to the Emperor shows it being in the Archetypal level of energy, not in our "Space-time", but in your own mind!---Intuition?
The Death card itself being in our "Space-time" in the existential level.
This card uplifts to the Fool in the Cosmic level of energy--beyond our "space-time" in the fifth card, 23. Tav--Cross---- This is the fifth house of movement in the third nine levels of energy, and is attached to the first final of the Hebrew Aleph-Beth.

I will do the full expansion on the Death card and post it under "Tarot discussions and ideas" a separate forum under Tarot.

You can go to "How much do you want to learn about Tarot" on this forum you can follow how the Hebrew Aleph-Beth links the letters and numeric values. Once you clearly understand this, you will look at Tarot in a different light altogether.

Blessed be.

Return to “Tarot”