the moon, 2 ways

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

keekeemama

the moon, 2 ways

Post by keekeemama » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 am

i have 2 questions about the moon
1. if you pull a moon in the 1st position of a reading, does it signify you shouldn't continue the reading or that the cards may be unclear
2. is there any significance to doing readings on a full moon(jan. 19th) for you personally :smt017

cedars
Tarot reader

Re: the moon, 2 ways

Post by cedars » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:33 am

keekeemama wrote:i have 2 questions about the moon
1. if you pull a moon in the 1st position of a reading, does it signify you shouldn't continue the reading or that the cards may be unclear
2. is there any significance to doing readings on a full moon(jan. 19th) for you personally :smt017
1. Who told you these things? If you pick the Moon as the first card, it is trying to tell you something; it is not telling you to stop the reading.

2. My plain answer is: No.

Otheres are more than welcome to comment.

:)

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm

I can understand why you might think that, but in any reading you should look at the complete picture, the whole layout, where the cards are, the spread of suits and split of arcanas. The duplicity of the Moon may be in relation to the cards around it not the whole reading. It also depends on the meaning of position one. for instance if it was past then perhaps memorioes may be clouded or misleading.
Oh Yes! I do lunar-astro-tarot readings, I take into consideration the moon phases, so full moon readings take on a powerful energy and meaning and are good a time for readings about resolutions, accomplishments and completion, the new moon is the opposite, the energy is far better for readings about new projects, beginnings or the future :) In between we have eclipses and crescents and so on, read holistically :)

George

Post by George » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Cascade of Light wrote:
I can understand why you might think that, but in any reading you should look at the complete picture, the whole layout, where the cards are, the spread of suits and split of arcanas. The duplicity of the Moon may be in relation to the cards around it not the whole reading. It also depends on the meaning of position one. for instance if it was past then perhaps memorioes may be clouded or misleading.
Oh Yes! I do lunar-astro-tarot readings, I take into consideration the moon phases, so full moon readings take on a powerful energy and meaning and are good a time for readings about resolutions, accomplishments and completion, the new moon is the opposite, the energy is far better for readings about new projects, beginnings or the future :) In between we have eclipses and crescents and so on, read holistically :)
i'm confused by all of this.  what would the moon in the first position mean that you couldn't read it?  just curious what you would think that?
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

keekeemama

Post by keekeemama » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm

initially i had read in "the fortune tellers handbook" by viv foster, that if you are doing a spread and the 1st card you pick is a moon, put the deck away for 24 hours because the cards will not be clear today, i didnt pay much attention to that because that was just an opinion of hers, then i was reading tarot for a new generation by janina renee and she had wrote "through the presense of the moon card, the tarot is telling you that prediction is difficult because somethings are in to early a stage of development..." that was interesting to me because i had been thinking of making some jewlery with some healing crystals, and try to sell it at the local farmers market, so i asked my cards what advice can you give me about this little project and i got
1 moon
2. 7 of swords
3. 8 of pentacles

initially i would have interpreted the moon as intuition, but the 7 of swords led me to believe it may be a more negative meaning because i interpret that 7 as stealing or sneaking and it just didnt make sense at inanswering my question, although i considered the 8 positive, it was just confusing so i asked again(which i probably shouldnt have) and i got
1 fool reversed
2 7 of swords again!
3. sun
another negative, negative, positive pattern( if you consider the fool reversed negative and the moon negative because it was next to the 7 in the 1st spread)

so then i was really confused so i layed the 7 of swords down as the indicator or querant and drew

1. 2 of swords
2. king of swords reversed
3. hanged man reversed
at that point i just said the hell with it and put it all away, i started reading my beading book and it had said beading was a form of needlework and i said hmmmm....
well maybe sometimes a needle is just a sword:) it was all just really odd, and kinda funny, i'm gonna try selling the jewlery anyway and im really excited to try this full moon spread i found tomorrow night
but in the last week my readings have seemed really "off" and i wonder if it because of the moon cycle or if its because "its my time of the month" or something, sorry to george and cedars if that offends

George

Post by George » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 pm

keekeemama wrote: sorry to george and cedars if that offends
why would that offend me?  :smt002  i am hear to learn and hear everything that has to be said on the subject and that is why i asked?    :smt020

blessed be

:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 pm

at that point i just said the hell with it and put it all away, i started reading my beading book and it had said beading was a form of needlework and i said hmmmm....
well maybe sometimes a needle is just a sword:) it was all just really odd, and kinda funny, i'm gonna try selling the jewlery anyway and im really excited to try this full moon spread i found tomorrow night
but in the last week my readings have seemed really "off" and i wonder if it because of the moon cycle or if its because "its my time of the month" or something, sorry to george and cedars if that offends
I am not surprised. You are doing far, far too many readings on the same topic and the cards made you say ‘’to hell with it’’...... and rightly so :)

In the way I see them, you first two sets of cards (I am not going to go to the third attempt) are saying virtually the same thing. Well, I need to ask what deck you are using. But in the RW deck I feel.....

The Moon showing your uncertainties about the journey you are about to take; look at the pathway emerging from the water where the crab/lobster is fearful of stepping out and the dog and the wolf howling like some kind of warning, ill advice and setting your mind in doubt. And, possibly you were in doubt and uncertain about your forthcoming actions.
The Seven of Swords whilst standing for treachery and stealing etc, to me also says ‘going it alone’ which is exactly what you are trying to do – being self employed but in a way looking over your shoulders if others may approve or follow your steps.
The Eight of Pentacles is telling you, there is work to be done and if you want success in this, then you will have to sit down and dedicate yourself into learning this new craft and start producing results.

The second set of cards is no different for me (briefly)
The Fool is the unknown jump to something new and the Seven of Swords we just spoke about and the Sun is reaping the benefits of that solo action or the act of going it alone.

For me, whatever card you get has its rightful meaning for your reading. I do not subscribe to the notion that you should put the cards away and not continue reading.

And, my friend, you did not offend us at all with your comment about the ''time of month''.... shows you have sense of humour

keekeemama

Post by keekeemama » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:13 am

thanks for all your help guys, i know i over analyze my readings and coming here and getting your feedback really helps me get perspective, i agree that the moon in the 1st position doesnt mean you have to end the reading, but i am hoping tomorrow night when i do this full moon spread that it is significant because the moon card is about subconscious and intuition and maybe when the moon is full our intuition and subconscious thoughts are stronger, we'll see!!!

heres the spread from Jette's Tarot for All Seasons if anyone else wants to join me tomorrow night

Full Moon Spread

It's thrown on the shape of a full moon, clockwise.

1. Relationships
What you need to know about developing your potential in relationship to others. The truth of your relationships, be they lover/coworker/family/friend.

2. The Power of Choice
What decision needs to be made now to fully express your potential? What will free your creativity?

3. Manifesting Goals
What action do you need to take on the physical plan to reinforce your magical (or tarot) workings? What can you do in the mundane world to support your spirit's desire?

4. Creativity
The Mother has given you talents, abilities and gifts. What must you do to fully express them? If you don't like this card, it is because the card shows blocks that you need to address before you can realize your full creative gifts.

5. Protection
Shows you where to establish personal boundaries so you do not give your personal power away. What do you need to protect?

6. Psychic Gifts
How can you best develop your intuition? If position 6 is a Court Card, it suggests the appearance of a teacher, guide or mentor.

7. Blessings and Spiritual Direction
The Mother wants you to celebrate the joy of being alive.
What do you have to be thankful for? How can you best express the Goddess in you?

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:41 am

Hi,

You need to consider that in all the cards we have a negative and a positive connotation. Because a card is reversed, does not mean it is all negative at all.

Having the seven of Swords, does not mean "stealing or sneaking" completely!

Follow this link for my interpretation:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... Njcw&hl=en

In the Moon card it is important to also see the links to other cards
Follow this link to see the association to the 3 levels of energy in the Majors:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZyu ... cWM1&hl=en

When looking at the Moon card, the two columns are seen on the Death card as well. Whereby it also has links to the Sun Card.

There is a lot more to consider, before blankly saying you can't do a reading, based on a theory by which it may say you are not capable of distinguishing the message a reading gives.

My take on your first cards would be:
Follow your intuition, don't do as the others, use your creativity to achieve success in the last card.

Blessed be.

keekeemama

Post by keekeemama » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:15 pm

your interpretation of the 7 of swords actually made lot of sense to me because i dont have the resources(money) to actually do this right now but i am going to find a round about way to do it anyway, which is just buy about $10 worth of supplies right now and practice, but this is a perfect example of how if you are a beginner and just look at the cards rather than use other resources such as internet, books etc, how you can miss out on a whole other aspect of the card if there are other meanings to the cards which are not apparent at face value

TarotModerator

Post by TarotModerator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 am

Hi,

We are hosting a new Tarot course for 2011, please join us.

Here are the links to sign up to the course.

To sign-up, follow this link:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=73951

To view the Index of Topics, follow this link:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=73952

Our first topic will appear shortly. Just mark those forums to alert you for postings.

:smt008
We run a self study course in Tarot...please sign up..work together with your fellow students...and if further help is needed...ask for help....

Return to “Tarot”