A card in my reading throwing me off

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

caithiggs

A card in my reading throwing me off

Post by caithiggs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:15 pm

So I've been pondering over a relationship reading I did for myself since yesterday, and I'm hoping someone else might also have some insight for me.

I have a deck called the Mystic Faerie Tarot.

In the reading I did two of the card placements were:
my least favorite thing about this relationship
and
what I can do to improve my least favorite thing about it

My least favorite thing came up as The Priest, which I have interpreted as meaning that the current relationship is causing me to learn a lesson (also based on some other spreads I did) or that the current problem is happening in order for me to learn a lesson, and that this is the part I dread the most, that I have to learn to express my knowledge/feelings of it outwardly, rather than holding onto it inwardly and just letting what I take from the relationship be something I take into my own personal care (which is what I normally do). Being more expressive of my knowledge and ideals and emotions I think is what it's telling me I am struggling with the most (at least, I interpret it this way because that's what I feel is going on, maybe I'm missing something in this card though). I will add too, that what I am dreading to have to share in the open is deeply tied in with my personal spiritual beliefs, which I think is what the Priest connection is all about here.

Then, how I can improve this dreaded thing is the Knight of Cups, which gives the key word of being in love with the idea of love. It comes off as a rather negative card, in that it is an ideal not based on a true foundation.  I was really puzzled when I drew this card. Upon thinking about it, I am wondering if it is that I need to get in touch with my wreckless love for the sake of love nature, because I have been burned in the past which caused me to believe that being in love with love and holding people on a pedestal for that reason is totally false. I basically got the wind knocked out of me in the past on that account and realized I needed to come down to earth. I am confused because of the nature of how this card is described in the book.

Because this deck says that the court cards often represent a person in a spread, the only conclusion I could come up with was that it represents a part of myself I need to get in touch with.

I am just very unsure of my interpretive abilities and wondered if this sounds logical!

A lot of the cards I've been pulling up lately have me really thinking about how I have to focus on my high ideal and make a decision to stick by the ideal I'm holding onto about this relationship, which is being called into question by the second party. Normally, in the past, I have always had to let go of my ideals because they've proven to be false, so I'm so confused right now as to why I should be working at believing 100 per cent in my ideal! I'm terrified that I'm only being directed to do this for that ideal to, once more, be completely shattered. I'm not so prepared for that to happen! This doubt is causing me to come and ask if anybody else might have a view into the matter, about these cards, if they could hold a significant  viewpoint I'm currently blind to because I'm not very seasoned at reading.

Also, the full reading is just sounding a little too positive for my liking. Making me highly suspicious of how I'm interpreting it. Very afraid I'm giving away way too much into wishful thinking! I keep appearing to be told to give into my wishful thinking, but to do it with temperance. But I just cannot believe it is ever good to give into wishful thinking.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:03 am

Caithiggs

If you are viewing the Heirophant (I am going by the Rider Waite and know nothing about your deck) that you are learning something about yourself within this relationship, then I suggest you start viewing the Knight of Cups not only with that one phrase: being in love with the idea of Love.

The Knight of Cups is more than that. It is perhaps telling you that you should learn to EXPRESS yourself and your emotions in this relationship and for your further progress in self-expression. The Knight of Cups is one who is quite demonstrative about his feelings and you should put aside this concept of being in love with Love and take a leaf from his book which are those of sentimentatlity, doing those little gestures of expression in how you feel about the next person,  the occasional romantic word here and there.. and so on.

Whilst reading your above post, I got the feeling that you may be the ''passive'' one in this relationship where the other party perhaps is more expressive than you and hence the Hierophant is there to teach a few things. I would also look at the ''Priest''  in another angle too: he stands for tradition and customs which perhaps your other half is more akeen to adhere to than you are. Perhaps a slight diversion from your way of thinking on society and tradition and bringing yourself in line (may be partly) into that kind of approach, can make the way easy for both of you.

I feel you should learn to give and take in this relationship and not expect all to be delivered by your partner.

And, please, do not view the Knigh of Cups with that 'crazy man who has lost his mind to his heart'. He is not that crazy; he is trying to bring you in touch with your inner feelings, which I am sure you have plenty and perhaps he is also trying to teach you to start expressing them :)

Cedars

caithiggs

Post by caithiggs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 am

Oh, thanks a lot! One of the downfalls of this book that comes with this deck is the info for the court cards is disappointingly scarce. A third or quarter of information written about them compared with the other cards. I'm not familiar enough with the Tarot in general to start making interpretive leaps about cards. But what I have read about some of the court cards from other books in the past don't seem to match up so well with this deck. It is, however, a beautiful deck. Probably the main reason I've never got a Rider Waite deck, despite hearing again and again how good it is for beginners, is that I just don't find it aesthetically appealing.

What you have said about the Knight of Cups makes a ton of sense. If it is a card about someone expressive, this really falls into place for me in this position. Yes, that is exactly what I'm in an impasse about right now. That is, relating my feelings to him. Unfortunately, neither one of this party has exactly been up to key on this aspect of the relationship. But, in fact, for the past few years I have been working heavily on learning to express myself and open up! Clearly though, I have a ton of work ahead of me still, as I grew up as a severely closed off individual. Coming out of that dark isolated place, certainly does not happen over night, but it's kind of like my life's work.

As for the Priest (yeah, I think it is the Heirophant! I always wondered what a Heirophant was! haha, now I get it). Since the position is "Your least favorite thing about the relationship", with the information you have given me, I'm almost more keen to relate the card directly to symbolize a quality. If tradition and customs is involved, I would likely more directly relate that to the quality. Because I realize that what I don't cope well with relationships is the customs of them. I.e. I don't do romantic things or kind of crave to go through each standard step because I haven't always been well grounded in traditions. I was left on my own a bit about background and roots, and so I always hated "convention" growing up, leading me to kind of see the world in a more unconventional way. I also believe I feel about relationships unconventionally--which I know part of my life is to actually get in touch with the conventions of this world. Because he does in fact come from a much stronger background of conventional thinking and doing, lots of customs he has his mind very set in (which is a foreign concept to me), it is possible that is one part of this relationship I have ignored that could teach me greatly. And so now I need to really bring that aspect out in myself.

Seems to me it's much easier to "come from" convention or tradition than to try and "go into" it from what feels like the outside.

Although I have always been very passive, I'm not sure I am the passive one in this relationship. I believe we butt heads a bit, but neither really takes the action. So we are kind of coming at each other without actually not be passive, we are both also be passive. But definitely in the past I have just waited to see what others would bring to me in a relationship, considering I had absolutely no groundings in the conventions of them and expected the other to some how show me or something like that. Maybe underneath I am still reacting in this way. Especially considering I am still resisting taking the bigger step of being the one to lead the self expression.

Again, I still have extreme doubts stopping me about my expression leading to no good. Which, of course I have to get over even if the relationship is coming to and end. Which I'm still totally refusing to believe. Oh, human brain and heart ... you make me so dizzy.

I need to invest in a more comprehensive book on Tarot in general. :)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Some of the things you said struck a chord with me and my background...... the bit about tradition and convention.... I felt you were distant in those terms and your guy was very much into them... That also comes from his background,culture and family unit...
Dont beat yourself because you do not see eye to eye with convention and tradition....

I see you are in Canada and probably part of the immigrant communicty where traditions and cusoms prevail even in the second generations.

Putting that aside, let me tell you that all court cards have their positive and negative sides... The Knight of Cups when he becomes far too emotional and in la, la, la kind of a land, head in the clouds, he DOES become annoying. I do not believe the message for you was to become that way :)

If you feel it is not over between you two and if you do not wish it to be over, my dear one, there needs to be some work on your side - I say your side, because you are of concern to me here, as you  have asked the question around this topic.

It is fine that the Rider Wiate does not appeal to you; just go with what talks to you, but try to avoid doing too many self readings and also be guided what your gut feeling says about the card and thenc check it out in the book :)

Blessings to you.

caithiggs

Post by caithiggs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks cedars, you are awesome!

Yeah, I feel that it makes perfect absolute sense in my life that at this time I would attract a male who is himself outwardly collected, quiet, and not at all showy of emotions, because something is driving me to actually be forced out. The females I'm currently attracting into my life, are on the other hand emotionally open books just oozing this expressive feminine nature that I completely entirely lack.

Emotions are just like extreme sports. You gotta jump from extremely high mountains to master them! haha. Might I mention I'm TERRIFIED of heights?

For whatever reason I was born into a family that has broken free entirely from the traditions passed down to them (my parents), yet no traditional values have been established to replace them. Instead the values that my parents took on are incredibly secretive/esoteric values. It affects both myself and my twin sister, though I'm not sure about my older siblings, they are more exploratory and free reigning on the earth.

It is as if I am meant to start from nothing and build myself into the world. But in order to do that I have to uncover what is there within me.

Anyway, I agree that I have to be the one taking the action in this situation. Everything is pointing to that, especially the fact that doing so is exactly what I must be forced to do in my life in order to be who I am. Which is my sole purpose in my life, as far as I can tell.

I'm also in the process of getting a Bachelor's degree--like I literally have a week left to determine whether I can obtain it or fail, and it IS failing right now. I feel like everything is falling apart. I have honestly never felt this much pressure on my shoulder before, never had this much potential of failing myself in my life. Which is stupid because really are these things that big of a deal? But I think not taking the step in my personal development is what's pressuring me so much. It's a crazy intense stressful feeling. And I have to take it all on myself. Oh man. Maybe it's a perfect opportunity to explore my emotions though--I mean pressure built up enough forces everything out if it is in a tight container. But my challenge is in not allowing it to explode, but rather to release it slowly. It's really a lot for myself to ask.

What I have absolutely no idea about is actually how to go about doing what it is I'm supposed to do. I know what it is I'm supposed to do, just not how to actually do it.

I don't frequently do readings, just when I'm really feeling like I need the extra boost to relieve anxiety in a current situation, in order to get a fuller picture, because it's no fun to be stuck in a narrow view of a predicament. Though, the last time I went to get my Tarot read by someone else, she said my guides were indicating that I should in fact, not be going to see psychics because I should be using the Tarot for myself. It was probably just an incentive to get me to learn to read them though, rather than like a life rule. I don't really know. Very confusing. I get really confused when I go to ask professionals for advice.

Anyway, I'm ranting. I apologize. Clearly in need of an outlet (and I know that it should be in my own life, not the internet!)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:03 pm

My dear one

Go about your life and make the changes you feel you must for your own happiness and development. Do them for yourself and if the person next to you means so much to you, do it also for the both of you.

It was lovely exchanging these messages with you.

Do let us know how you develop in this wonderful and yet complex interaction of the human race :)

Hugs.

Return to “Tarot”