Cartomancy Discussion

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

GeminiStar

Cartomancy Discussion

Post by GeminiStar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:53 am

Is there a discussion group for cartomancy?

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 am

Hello,

You can discuss on the tarot forum.

Angel Ariel

Post by Angel Ariel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Yes, i notice there isnt a sole place for playing card divination...im most familiar with that.

cartomancy.darbb.com is a good learning place for it

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:19 pm

If you know how to read tarot then you will easily be able to read playing cards. It just is then a matter of learning the suit names :)

I use cards of all kinds now, if I don't have a taqrot deck around then I can use playing cards, people seem to accept those very easily whereas many think tarot is evil or bad.

GeminiStar

Destiny Card System

Post by GeminiStar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Is anyone familiar with the "The Cards of Your Destiny" by Robert Camp? The system uses playing cards, astrology and numerology. I also have the book "Fortune Telling by Playing Cards" by Nerys Dee. Each book has different meanings for the cards. I don't know exactly which one to use.

GeminiStar

Attitude Affect Reading?

Post by GeminiStar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Does it make a difference what one's attitude is about a subject when doing a reading?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Can you please be specific about it?
I would tend to say yes, but it all depends if you are personally involved in the subjet matter.....

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

It shouldn't matter but many amateur readers do let their feelings affect their position and so the reading. Being non-judgemental is a crucial part of giving a good reading that is useful. If you have a strong view on the reading subject then either refuse to read or keep it to your self and so not let it come into the reading at all.

Was there a particular attitude you meant?

GeminiStar

Post by GeminiStar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:45 am

My son often asks me to do reading about situations. Since I know most of the details I sometimes have a feeling about the outcome. He will call me with a problem and ask me to do the reading. I will pick out the cards. So I was wondering if this has any effect on the reading. He feels that I've been pretty accurate. I've only been doing this for a few months. I follow Neyes? (spelling)  book and Destiny Cards by Robert Camp.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:52 am

I avoid giving readings to family members, because I am just too involved with them emotionally.
If your readings are detached from personal feelings and unbiased......then I guess it is working for you. There are no concrete answers to your question my friend; it works for some and it does not work some.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Geministar,

You have touched on a few issues in one thread and actually there is a very simple answer to most:

We can't discount Cartomancy as an accurate means of divination, however there are limitations to it. This is exactly why the Tarot deck was adopted as a means of divination. The Tarot deck has the Major Arcanum to describe a higher influence. But, being well versed in Cartomancy can give the same information if you look around in the spread.

When looking at "interpretation" and which book to use, don't even venture to jump from one to the other all the time. This will confuse you as reader far more, and obviously the querant even more. When I say, this happens to all of us, I don't think it will be contested(perhaps some). We may use any deck to do a spread, but we have a set of interpretations that make sense to each of us. In other words, the one piece of advise given in most books, is for you to derive a full set of meanings you remain familiar with, and do the divination with. Using many different decks is a visual presentation and at times, that deck, with it's artwork may indicate another influence, however the basic meanings are your own. I think we can safely say that the minor arcanum with it's artwork, gives a flavor or indication to the circumstance and not just a flat card with symbols.

If we look at you as a person, you may find that you at times don't want to do a reading, and a request may be "ill-timed"! You need to also consider if you are spiritually ready to "receive" a message at that point in time. If the cards don't speak to you, what is the use of trying to force a reading, it will be off-base at the best off times. Being a member of MB is a very fortunate thing. Hardcore "commercial" readers, just have to do it, otherwise they starve! We can then relate to leave a request for another who is capable to do the reading. We all fall ill at times, these are bad time to do readings, your mind-set is not at easy, far more your body is diseased. These factors have an influence on what you "produce".    

As reader, I don't venture in doing readings for any of my family or friends at all. Far less myself, you are mostly biased in these instances and that may project a different interpretation. Best not to do it.

I hope you can get some usefull stuff here!

Blessed be.

GeminiStar

Post by GeminiStar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks

GeminiStar

Post by GeminiStar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm thinking of purchasing a set of Tarot cards. Any suggestions or are they all the same? Thanks.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:35 pm

The best deck to start with would be the Rider Waite - Original or Universal. They both have the same imagery, but the Universal has brighter colours than the Original. It is your personal preference.

GeminiStar

Post by GeminiStar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks

Return to “Tarot”