Learning the Tarot

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

GeminiStar

Learning the Tarot

Post by GeminiStar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi, I just .received my book "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. Can't wait to read it
"I Love to be Happy!!!"

George

Re: Learning the Tarot

Post by George » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 am

GeminiStar wrote:Hi, I just .received my book "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. Can't wait to read it
i would love to hear your thoughts on the book when you get done with it.

:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

GeminiStar

Post by GeminiStar » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:01 am

OK will do.
"I Love to be Happy!!!"

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:45 am

Hi GS

I've been tracking your discussions. It seems as if you are really interested in learning to read Tarot.

I want to point a pitfall out, at the earliest possible. Most Tarot students fall into this and it sets you back years! Having many books also brings many theories and influences, sometimes not needed.

If I may, let me give you some guidance:
You will notice that every situation or circumstance is considered within the Tarot. Soon, you will start Tarotising things and people around you! You most probably have already done a spread for yourself and now you are busy "categorising" events around you into the spread, how the cards lay, their meanings etc. That's normal and I call it Tarotising!

With, The Pictorial key to the Tarot, you have the oversight of the interpritations by Waite. This book is actually adequate, however it's not a Tarot study course, and you will have an oversight of the knowledge as well.

Most Authors agree that the student should derive their own set of meanings to the cards, and they have a differing approach to that as well. Unfortunately you are not in contact with them to ask a question on how this or why that.

In essence the cards need to become you and they have to have a resonance with your spirit to make them "alive" for lack of a better word. Therefore, before you run ahead of yourself, rather take the cards and derive "that which makes sense to you".

It is beneficial to place all the cards in numerical sequence. Start with the Minor Arcanum, Ace of Swords---Air, and continue by making short notes on each card, not looking at the book. Build a "feeling" for each card. This way, it will be very remote that you will forget the interpretations once you do readings.

Then start with the Major Arcanum and run them through, keeping your notes on the Minor at hand. The Major Arcanum rules the Minor in relatively. You will find Ace's are ruled by The Magician, two's by the High Priestess, all the way to Wheel of Fortune and the Ten's. The Court cards are in a segment of their own. So, all the Minors has a connection to the ruling Major Arcanum cards, find the corresponding links.

You may think this a tedious process, but what use will it be to read and read and read and then try to bring all together and then realise, "I WASTED SO MUCH TIME", because now you have to do it anyway?

You also need to decide if you are going to read "Upright" only or Upright and Reversed. Your interpretations should follow this direction.

It is also important to decide which spread you prefer, there are thousands, but which is what? In this sense you will start categorising cards into the events and have more of an understanding how they may fit into a spread.

These are but a few pointers and I hope I have been helpful.

Blessed be.

euro_andres

Post by euro_andres » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:04 am

Completely agree with Payewacker! Best advice someone who is starting tarot study could get...

Return to “Tarot”