Just a thought

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

zeldaevolution

Just a thought

Post by zeldaevolution » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 am

I haven't seen it so far, so I'm not sure, but is the element of aether in any way connected to the cards? I know the other 4 elements but I was wondering if aether was also included...

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi Girl,

Cited from Wikipedia.
The word αἰθήρ (aithēr) in Homeric Greek means "pure, fresh air" or "clear sky", imagined in Greek mythology to be the pure essence where the gods lived and which they breathed, analogous to the air breathed by mortals (also personified as a deity, Aether, the son of Erebus and Nyx). It is related to αἴθω "to incinerate"[2], also intransitive "to burn, to shine" (related is the name Aithiopes (Ethiopians)), meaning "people with a burnt (black) visage". See also Empyrean.

The Fifth Element:

In Plato's Timaeus (St-55c) Plato described aether as "that which God used in the delineation of the universe." Aristotle (Plato's student at the Akademia) included aether in the system of the classical elements of Ionian philosophy as the "fifth element" (the quintessence), on the principle that the four terrestrial elements were subject to change and moved naturally in straight lines while no change had been observed in the celestial regions and the heavenly bodies moved in circles. In Aristotle's system aether had no qualities (was neither hot, cold, wet, or dry), was incapable of change (with the exception of change of place), and by its nature moved in circles, and had no contrary, or unnatural, motion.[3] Medieval scholastic philosophers granted aether changes of density, in which the bodies of the planets were considered to be more dense than the medium which filled the rest of the universe.[4] Robert Fludd stated that the aether was of the character that it was "subtler than light". Fludd cites the 3rd century view of Plotinus, concerning the aether as penetrative and non-material.

Akasha.
Theosophy
Main article: Akashic records
The Western religious philosophy called Theosophy has popularized the word Akasha as an adjective, through the use of the term "Akashic records" or "Akashic library", referring to an ethereal compendium of all knowledge and history.

Modern Paganism
It is believed by many modern Pagans that the Akasha, Spirit, is the Fifth Element. Scott Cunningham describes the Akasha as the spiritual force that Earth, Air, Fire, and Water descend from. Some also believe that the combination of the four elements make up that which is Akasha, and that Akasha exists in every living creature in existence; without Akasha, there is no spirit, no soul, no magic.
The Five Elements are worked with to create positive changes on earth. This is done through meditation to bring about beneficial changes in one’s life. Akashan spirituality is holistic.
Practitioners learn to maintain mental and physical health through meditation, exercise, ritual and diet. They are expected to have a profound commitment to their life path.
The upward point of the pentacle, the pentagram or five pointed star within a circle, represents Akasha. The others represent Fire, Earth, Air and Water. While Earth is considered "north"; Fire is "south"; air is "east"; Water is "west", while Akasha is "center".

OK, We shouldn't confuse the two, but have a look at how close they are. I attach Aether to the Major Arcanum and perhaps to the last five finals, specifically, (unfortunately no cards for them)! These cards are in the Cosmic level of existence and by reduction we can get associations to the Existential and the Archetypal.

I think if I say "Akash" is the place where we find aether, this is my own theory, and open to discussion, do you think I'm drawing to a close too quick or narrow these terms to "small"?

When considering the directions of the elements in the Tarot, there are a few theories on these and we will see, above, that it differs. We are speaking about aether not the directions of the elements.

Blessed be.

zeldaevolution

Post by zeldaevolution » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Yes it's about aether. I never stumbled upon the idea that Akasha was an ethereal existence...

About this element, is it possible to say that without aether, there's no life, nor spirit, nor magic? Then it seems like an existence equal to the things that cannot be seen by normal eyes... if that is the case... it's like aether itself is the supernatural?

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:38 am

:smt024

Let me look back, get some others to help and compile something open for discussion.

I compiled a document some time ago; this is the link:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZyu ... NkdG4zcWM1

You will see on the Cosmic level, I want to design cards for the last five finals. The first proposed one is The Throne, and is attached to Aether.

Blessed be

zeldaevolution

Post by zeldaevolution » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:18 pm

The Throne... the theme and feel of the card... the first thing that came in mind when I read it was 'God's Seat.'
I think it actually matches up to aether as if an element above all others...

What about the last remaining 4 cards? I feel excited just thinking about what cards would be created next.. ha ha ha...

Cosmic level... how would a rocketship that is fueled, and powered by the force of flames, able to move if there is nothing that it pushes from, while in the midst of space?...

Do you get my question? :D

I feel that if someone could see aether, that person can see anything...

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 am

Hi ZE,

The Throne was discussed some time ago, follow this link:
http://mysticboard.org/ta ... 417#266417

I made many changes to the original draft, seen here. BUUUT Lost the drawing! If you have any comments please make it on that thread. I have attached some cards to these in the existential level, but haven't thought of the names and implications yet.

I have to rest a short while, will be back just now.

Blessed be.

zeldaevolution

Post by zeldaevolution » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Looks like it really just the throne... nothing on the seat... hmm...

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:02 am

Hi,

We haven't seen God nor can we, I had lions on the armrests and the central form will be a bright light as the Sun, the greatest source of energy. In fact we are matter bound together and or existing of energy.  :smt017

Blessed be.

Return to “Tarot”