thoughts about a first deck?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

First deck to buy:

RWS standard
20%
RWS original
40%
RWS universal
No votes
Morgan-Greer
No votes
Other
40%

Total votes: 5

toutseul_empyrean

thoughts about a first deck?

Post by toutseul_empyrean » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:00 am

I came across tarot originally while looking at different artist trading cards. The art and symbolism of tarot cards was stunning.

Recently I discovered an android tarot app as a surprisingly accurate tool for introspection. After a few "readings" suddenly it felt very wrong; I had to buy a physical set of cards. Well, have to is more accurate. The deed still isn't done, after a week of deliberation.

I'm considering Rider-Waite standard, universal, and original as well as the morgan-greer deck. For me, stylism and organic stroke consistency are very important, as well as the quality of the cards themselves and having a solid foundation for reading different kinds of tarot decks. (gahh the golden klimt deck is beautiful) The back on the original is much nicer than the one on the standard. The universal back seems nice too except I'm not sure what to make of the illustrations. The morgan-greer deck has no borders, rounded edges, and edgier artwork. I believe all of these cards are glossy, unfortunately. Texture would definitely be a plus to consider.

I feel a little silly getting hung up over three rws decks and one rws clone deck, but I feel like I need to make up for my unfortunate introduction to tarot with extra dedication to this first deck. Any comments to push me along?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:55 am

Go for RW whichever version you are connected with. I use both Original and Universal.

chipmunk

Gilded and Tarot of the Vampire deck

Post by chipmunk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:44 pm

I to am very picky about what tarot decks i use. My first Tarot deck - the one i learned on - was not one i chose but one that was handed down to me from my mother and was a first run Myth Deck. When i chose my own deck i brought the Glided Deck because i was captivated by the beautiful art work and it's rich vibrant jewel tones. The back of the cards are truely a work of art as well and the cards thems selves are of excellent quality card stock with each card picture framed in a black, gold bejeweled frame. The second Deck i got - the tarot of the vampire - has truely stunning artwork with lots of hidden symbols and meanings including the relative zpdiac symbols that card governs concealed somewhere with in the picture. This tarot offers you a more intense, deeper trip into the pysche of the person  you are reading for. Again printed on brillant top grade card stock and a breathtaking picture of  a rain drop encursted scarlet rose with long throned stems  on the back.
Never be normal !

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi,
I was introduced to Tarot with the Robin Wood deck, which is based on the Rider Waite. A few months later I bought the original RW-Coleman Deck. My opinion is to acquire the Rider Waite, whichever one, as it's symbolism is clearly visible, especially when you start linking cards and really want to have a good grasp on Tarot.

Blessed be.

Return to “Tarot”