In need of help: Self 3 card Reading each Major Arcana

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

cappiegirl

In need of help: Self 3 card Reading each Major Arcana

Post by cappiegirl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Hello,

I would really love some help. I'm a beginner and pulled a powerful Past Present Future spread this morning. I recently graduated school and have felt in a bit of rut regarding finding gainful employment and inspiration so asked my cards for some insight on the dynamic I've been bringing in finding employment. Here are the cards that chose me:

Past, The Devil
Present, The Star
Future, Strength

It would be great if someone could explain the unique combination of these three cards. I can somewhat grasp what they mean individually but have no idea how they are interacting.

Love and light,

Susie Psychic

Post by Susie Psychic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:44 pm

You say this is a majors only reading, that's not a bad idea as the subject matter is so important, but why then if it is so important use a boring simple spread like past present and future? That leaves a lot open to interpretation but really ony one of the cards has any value, don't you already know the past and where you are in the present? Maybe a different spread would help you more?

I see the three as linking like this:-

The Devil is in the past, a hard time peer bullying, control, not being in charge, being led by others and unable to break free.
The Star in the present gives you the sense of freedom and hope and inspiration, ideas that need pursuing, thoughts that need exploring, options that are open.
Strength, well you are going to need compassion and restraint and gentlness, you are the lady not the lion, kindness will help you gain a foothold, be nice and others will remember you, help you and support you :)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:53 pm

I agree with Susie Psychic...
Firstly, you have - what sounds like - used a Major Arcana cards only and for that you have used a very simple spread of which you already know the answers on Two.

But, then again, as a beginner perhpas you would not have been able to use a more complex spread.

Having recently graduated from school, arent you panicking prematurely?
Majors are archetypal cards which do not handle our day to day events; they are more geared towards the more esoteric and your innner self.  As such, they will simply give an insight. This spread does not empower you in any way. It simply tells you what you already know except for the Future card for which you already have an intepreation.

All the best.

cappiegirl

Post by cappiegirl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks for your responses! Just to clarify I was using the entire deck and the cards I picked coincednetally all Major Arcana.

As an absolute beginner I have just been playing with the three card spread. If you could suggest some of your favorite types of more complex spreads and the constructive questions to formulate that would be great to further my learning :) I'll be able to give the self reading another go.
Last edited by cappiegirl on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 pm

By 'complex' reading please do not jump into the Celtic Cross. That is COMPLEX as it is :)

Just formulate your own question and pick a card or two for each question....... that would be a good start.

please avoid Yes or No questions... and IF this or what will happen or not.... these type of questions are not answered too well by the tarot in my experience.

I really appreciate you getting back to us. Some people start a thread, we comment, and they dont take the trouble (or even the decency) to get back.

Good luck and please do ask if you have any quesitons or need guidance.

Blessings.

Susie Psychic

Post by Susie Psychic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Sorry, I didnt realise you were an absolute beginner, but we all were once :) However, in that case it is hard to advise you of a more complex spread but perhaps a variation of the usual basic 3 card.  Which deck do you have and did it come with a white book?

I was never allowed to use past present and future, instead I would use a question and talk to the tarot, ask a question and then pull a card, then I graduated onto spreads using the way the cards relate to each other and the way the suits react using dignities and correspondences. They give another dimension to the reading. Then to using creative spreads, it just takes time and practise :)

cappiegirl

Post by cappiegirl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Really helpful information, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! I have The Tarot Rider Waite deck from 1971 that I found on Wednesday in a box my grandmother left for me. There isn't a little white book included.

Return to “Tarot”