Is there a "wrong" way to read tarot?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Rueroux

Is there a "wrong" way to read tarot?

Post by Rueroux » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:34 pm

I enjoy reading tarot and I've been told I'm pretty good at interpreting the cards. But the thing is, I have no clue about the traditional implications of the cards and spreads.

For instance, The Hangman is often considered to imply a certain set of meanings. I have no idea what any of these are, but I still gain understanding when I read it.

I'm now afraid to read for other people because I have been told that I'm "doing it wrong". I would love to provide this service, but is it really so important to adhere to people's expectations of my technique?

I feel it's relevant to note that I do not need cards to do an interpretive reading. I have in the past done readings with an array tools that ranged from spilled rice to clouds to orange peels. I even once did a reading with a carrot.

In light of this, am I lying when I say that I read tarot? Is there some sort of guidelines I should be following to be a "real" tarot reader? What's more, I get the feeling that to study traditional tarot techniques would impede my reading abilities.

I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

EDIT: I also feel it worth saying that I often have no real idea why I get a certain understanding from a card and that makes it so much harder to explain the importance of the card in a reading. It's like for me the card has nothing to do with it; in a reading, the actual card almost feels superfluous.

Spiritual Traveller

Post by Spiritual Traveller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Rueroux

There is no wrong way, just your own unique way. Develop it & enjoy it.

Pam
Visit Spiritual Travellers.
Learn Tarot. Psychic Development. Meet Your Guides. Psychic Guidance

Susie Psychic

Post by Susie Psychic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 pm

If you don't use the traditional or orthodox meanings of the then cards then you just aren't reading the tarot. For instance there is no Hangman in any of my decks the card is always 'The Hanged Man', completely different.

If you plan on offering readings as a service then you will need to be accurate in your description of what you are offering or you are liable to get complaints and consequently refunds. Lots of people say they read tarot but don't at all they make up meanings from their own background of experiences and this can bring the wrong interpretation  and also really upset some people.
Why not learn to read the cards properly?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:43 am

I agree with Susie Psychic .

If you are reading the tarot cards, then you read the cards... read, interpret, psychic connection with the cards... call it whatever you like. There is a purpose for the meaning of these cards and when they  turn up they are there to answer certain questions or a particular question.

Whilst I do not encourage parrot-style interpretation, but if that is the best you can do, then you MUST learn the cards' meanings. If you have other abilities and use the cards only as a tool (whatever that means) then use the other talent. But, then again, why use the cards if you have another gift......???

See what I mean?

You can be a psychic, clairvoyant, clarisentient, medium... or whatever else.... without using the tarot cards. But then again, there are many such gifted people who use the tarot cards as a springboard or a point of focus. I love the cards..... and through them sometimes I get other feelings, whatever comes deep into me about that reading on that particular moment. Those 'feelngs' have so far been validated by the querents...  Dont be afraid when you get a strong feeling from a card; say it and see how the querent responds or what is their feedback.

There can be a wrong way of reading the cards if you ignore their meaning and start digressing from their messages. Why use tarot then if you are not going to follow the messages that came through?

My penny's worth on your question.

Tarotbycyndee

Hmm...

Post by Tarotbycyndee » Wed May 22, 2013 7:41 pm

i dont think there is a "wrong" way to read tarot persay, i do agree that you must know the meanings of the cards, and keep the basics of it. As time progresses and your talents improve, you can apply your own technique into reading the cards.

Each card has its own significance and as readers, we take that and read it in away that makes sense.

The best way i can say to read tarot, is intuitively. Look at your cards, right down how it makes you feel and what you think, ect. and then look up their meanings.  by combining both you can formulate your own technique.

If you feel your technique is fine and it works, then go with it. your best guide is your own intuition.  Don't be afraid to continue to give readings. You must practice to hone your skills and how are you to improve if you afraid to use it?
Blessings,
Cyndee

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi, mmmmm.

To do a reading from my pot of stew, interesting! Honestly, wow, a carrot is pretty straight!! But, if it works for you, go for it, not in Tarot though, shame, poor querant! Did you at least give her the rice to sustain the news, on a full stomach?

No, no. Please do the Tarot properly!

I have an article and in it you may find a bit of guidance. But then we don't cast pearls hey?? :smt005

follow this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nRM ... t?hl=en_US

Blessed be.

stephybabes92

Post by stephybabes92 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I think what she's doing is great - you don't need to know the meanings of the cards if they already mean something to you. It's only if you don't sense things about the card that you would really revert to the actual given meaning. Haven't you heard of going through a deck of cards to assign your own meanings?
x x x x x x x x Stephanie x x x x x x x x
             Live a life of love
                  Jesus is Lord! †

agata

Post by agata » Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 am

I think that Tarot is a tool and cards mean nothing without the person who reads them. That's why I believe that whenever I make a spread, or pull a card, the deck is "speaking" to me in my language. If someone else was doing the same reading for the same thing, they would probably get another cards, but give similar reading to the person (of course, it's only my opinion). Why? Because we all differ, we have different associations, different experiences, we think in different ways. If you read having in mind only definitions of cards, you may feel limited by them.

Consequently, learning meanings by heart doesn't make much sense if you don't feel like doing it and if you feel that it's only an obstacle. In such a case it would be good to have some general idea about the meaning of particular cards, but rejecting own associations would be insane. ;)

I'm not a professional Tarot reader and I don't intend to become one, so I don't really take into consideration possible complaints of querents. That's why totally intuitive reading or mostly intuitive reading is fine with me. :)

stephybabes92

Post by stephybabes92 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:48 am

agata wrote:I think that Tarot is a tool and cards mean nothing without the person who reads them. That's why I believe that whenever I make a spread, or pull a card, the deck is "speaking" to me in my language. If someone else was doing the same reading for the same thing, they would probably get another cards, but give similar reading to the person (of course, it's only my opinion). Why? Because we all differ, we have different associations, different experiences, we think in different ways. If you read having in mind only definitions of cards, you may feel limited by them.

Consequently, learning meanings by heart doesn't make much sense if you don't feel like doing it and if you feel that it's only an obstacle. In such a case it would be good to have some general idea about the meaning of particular cards, but rejecting own associations would be insane. ;)

I'm not a professional Tarot reader and I don't intend to become one, so I don't really take into consideration possible complaints of querents. That's why totally intuitive reading or mostly intuitive reading is fine with me. :)

agata if i were to ask you for an intuitive reading on the psychic forum would you respond?
x x x x x x x x Stephanie x x x x x x x x
             Live a life of love
                  Jesus is Lord! †

Return to “Tarot”