Readings going too deep

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Alliss

Readings going too deep

Post by Alliss » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:25 pm

I've been practicing tarot readings for a short time and it's been going quite well. My main issue that I've come up against so far, is picking up on more personal information that people perhaps would rather not discuss or secrets that, if accurate, they're probably unaware of anyway.

Can we control the information somehow,  so I'm not pulling peoples skeletons out of their closets?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:34 am

No...

It is anybody's guess if people would like to hear these things.

I would call this card(s) Advice Card rather than Personal Information card.

When you are asked to give a reading, then you could perhaps tell them gently that your style is not to sugar-coat the messages that come forth, otherwise, if you are struggling in passing on  the messages, then you might think twice about giving readings......

Alliss

Post by Alliss » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:39 am

OK, thank you cedars.
I will keep that in mind.
xx

Talia

Post by Talia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:32 pm

This is a very interesting question and reply too.

Two years alter I wonder what if I put up another view?

What if you take that information, hold it and think on it.

Not everyone is at the right time in life at the time of the reading to take on the information that the cards may show,
But was that information shown to the reader to show or was it shown to the reader to embellish and give background and stasis?

Sometimes we are shown more than we should pass on. But also sometimes we have to bare the bones and that difference is very difficult.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri May 01, 2015 7:10 am

I believe a reading is for that moment.... keeping certain info to the reader (at reader's own discretion) and to wait for the right time to reveal it, can be too late, or even pointless.  Some people lay the cards and go away and come back after a few days to give insights. For me,that is playing with time... in as much as you give the reading now, the cards have revealed themselves and if the reader can only find a superficial meaning to the cards, then so be it.

In my readings I tend to do away with the tarot academia; i.e. the symbolism of the cards, especially in the Major Arcana. The average querent is not interested in those symbolism. I do explain the basics though and tell them why that card has shown up etc etc..

If I got the the Three of Swords in a reading, I CANNOT keep that info to myself. The querent can also see my cards on the table and it is not a pretty sight seeing three swords tearing into the heart and surely they will ask questions: What is that?? What does that mean? It is one thing to say Death is not physical death, but the Three of Swords am afraid usually means what it shows...

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri May 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Yes Cedars, the reading is the situation at that point that moment,   I could never lay cards and then walk away, in fact I am reading as I lay them down, sometimes in my head sometimes out loud.  I was posing questions for a different point of view, discussing in a post chattering away and thinking at the same time :)

I have a friend whose deck does not contain Death, 3, 8,9,10 swords lol, she takes them out!

Rohiniranjan

Re: Readings going too deep

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri May 01, 2015 12:41 pm

Alliss wrote:I've been practicing tarot readings for a short time and it's been going quite well. My main issue that I've come up against so far, is picking up on more personal information that people perhaps would rather not discuss or secrets that, if accurate, they're probably unaware of anyway.

Can we control the information somehow,  so I'm not pulling peoples skeletons out of their closets?
It 'comes with the territory' and perhaps not true just for cartomancy! Personal sense of discretion and code of confidentiality dictate that skeletons not be aired by the reader unless relevant, and then too only with the person who is seeking the reading, whether in a private setting or on a public forum!

When all else fails, common sense must remain at our side!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri May 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Talia wrote:
I have a friend whose deck does not contain Death, 3, 8,9,10 swords lol, she takes them out!
Is that wise? And why in the world is she afraid of the Death card? I would not consider that a healthy reading.

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri May 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Wise, well I am sure you have come across many 'tarot readers' that are less than wise and that do funny things, I was once at a fete and the readers there were not really reading the cards at all, they just looked mystical and charged a lot of money. Thankfully my friend only plays with the cads, her words not mine and even when I scold her she will never learn them properly or lose her way.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri May 01, 2015 2:47 pm

She has no concept of what the tarot is..... if she had she would not be afraid of the Death car, Nine or ten of swords and the likes.

Never mind. That is her issue, not ours.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri May 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi Aliss

Your friend has cards she removes from the deck, I don't or won't do a reading if certain cards appear in a spread.

Normally I would "sleep" on a reading. This has been questioned many times, however I beleive that certain information come to me bit by bit and not all at once. The truth in this is that I don't want to just blast away at that time and be totally off-base at all, this happens frequently let me tell you this now.

As to revealing closets in the cupboard. We all have skeletons, and how anyone reveals them is of no consequence whatsoever, the only consideration is "HOW TRUE IS YOUR INTERPRETATION" of this skeleton? Also in which closet of the cupboard is the skeleton?

When a person requests a reading, they are aware of the fact that these things may be revealed, so withholding the information may be seen as you not being accurate, however, as I said, how true is your interpretation?

Blessed be

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri May 01, 2015 4:22 pm

PW, I think you mean Talia and not Aliss :)

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri May 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Mr Payewacker how can one sleep on a reading when one is doing many a day? Why would one want to anyway?  I think I prefer Cedars viewpoint that the reading is of that moment and should not be delayed.

Many peopel are not aware of what a reading can be nor what it can give and be given. There has to be protection from the reader.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri May 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Talia,

Truthfully that's the way I do it. Also I don't treat Tarot as a contest of how many readings I can do a day, it's a science that should be respected as having a far greater insight by proper interpretation of all the symbolism in each card, than a mere oversight of a fleeting moment.

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri May 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi, For me I just find your way impossible, with a querent sitting in front of you how can you possibly walk away and leave the reading? I presume you don't do any real life readings. It's not a matter of the number it is the reality of reading professionally.  Being reliable doing what is expected or sold, my words are letting me down it is so much easier to speak them.
But it can also be fun to do contest readings at a fate, where a short 15 minutes is offered then on to the next really sharpens up the senses:)

p.s I see it as an art not a science?

Return to “Tarot”