Tarot card deck for a beginner?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

shivanikashyap

Tarot card deck for a beginner?

Post by shivanikashyap » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 am

For a beginner, which tarot card deck should I buy?
Also, tell me if it will be available in India.
thanks.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:10 am

For a beginner the best deck to start with is the Rider Waite. I am sure it will be available in India.
Check Amazon in India or any spiritual store or even a book-store.

I have noticed your threads are all about questions and there are links of other sites..... relevant or not to your question.

Are you perhaps posting ad hoc in all forums in order to justify a certain number of posts to obtain a free software?

If that is the case, I am sure it will not work.
All posts should have a purpose  and continuity rather than just throwing questions in the air.

Good luck.

Sandtiger

First deck

Post by Sandtiger » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 pm

My first deck was the dragon deck - primarily because I just loved the look of it. Granted, it was *not* a good deck to learn from, and I struggled for years until I began collecting other decks. There are two now that I learn from very well - one is a fantasy deck so the look of it is still beautiful, but has images that mirror the Rider-Waite [which I have no fondness for], closely enough that I can study individual cards online or in books that use Rider-Waite, and can still understand and relate.
::Life is more than just being alive.:: ~ Anberlin

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:51 pm

The Rider Waite is easy to read from, I love it and use it a lot most days, but also finding a deck that has a theme you believe in and like is a good way to start. But do you want to read tarot or to learn a new way of life?

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi There,

I have to agree with Cedars. The card deck to start with is the Rider Waite. The symbolism is clear and easily understood. Most other decks are based on the RW but the authors has their own theory or message they want to portray.

Blessed be

AngoloGomez

Post by AngoloGomez » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:53 am

I am newbie too in Tarot. Actually I am not looking to buy an tarot cards right now. But I want to learn and hunting ideas reading few books or online articles. Is this well enough for me? Also I got few websites as well. Which is about Tarot too.

[Links to external websites are not allowed]

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:55 am

How do you want to learn without a tarot deck? Sure, you can look at websites, but if you dont have the cards in your hands, how is your learning process to be enhanced?

magictarotren

hey there

Post by magictarotren » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:00 pm

I suggest Raider Waite. Go online and find decks you think are pretty, look through all the card images and choose the one you feel you can connect with. Just let intuition guide you, if you get feelings from the card images then that's the right deck for you. As far as learning goes, well you are already on this site! Lots of people are here to help, and your new deck should come with a booklet to help guide you a bit. Practice with 3 cards spreads, Past, Present, Future first. find some willing friends and have at it! Practice makes perfect and you won't open that third eye unless you try.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:42 pm

This is a very old posting, but it is possibly one of the most common questions asked by beginner readers.

The general advice has always been to begin with the Rider Waite pack in order to compile your own Tarot dictionary of meanings for each card, before moving onto an alternative pack.

If indeed you want to move on to one of the alternatives.

Even advanced readers fall back on using the Rider Waite pack if or when needed, so I do not feel that the manufacturers of the basic pack have any reason to fear that it will become obsolete or irrelevant, any time soon.

Cheers,

Brian  :smt038

Return to “Tarot”