How do you Use "Y"... Do you Treat it as a Vowel or Not ??

For numerology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

ArcherOne

How do you Use "Y"... Do you Treat it as a Vowel or Not ??

Post by ArcherOne » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:55 pm

I'm curious how everyone treats the Letter Y....

1) Do you use it as a Vowel always ?

2) Do you use it as a Vowel only if it follows a consonant (like the Y in Mary), but not if it doesn't (Like the Y in Yolanda).

3) What if Y follows another vowel, like the Y in "Hay"...

Specifically, I use the vowels in the birth name to identify the Heart's Desire, and frequently come across these situations with a Y...

Abhishek
Site Admin

Post by Abhishek » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:27 am

numerologically speaking i dont think Y can be considered a vowel.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:03 am

i think Y has some significance... will look it up.. have it written down.

ragnarok11

Re: How do you Use "Y"... Do you Treat it as a Vowel or Not ??

Post by ragnarok11 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:22 pm

ArcherOne wrote:I'm curious how everyone treats the Letter Y....

2) Do you use it as a Vowel only if it follows a consonant (like the Y in Mary), but not if it doesn't (Like the Y in Yolanda).

Specifically, I use the vowels in the birth name to identify the Heart's Desire, and frequently come across these situations with a Y...
In my book, as numerology was originally based on sounds it depends on how Y is used within its syllable. Your examples in 2) are the easiest to figure. I'd say Y in 3) is a vowel because its phoneme is preceded with a consonant.

If in doubt (I guess you asked for when you're working out someone's chart), calculate the heart's desire and personality numbers for both cases and see what numbers fit the person best.

Delphina

Post by Delphina » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:09 am

The Y follows the same rule as for vowels.  I, E, A, O, U and sometimes Y.  

Example:  Nycole  and Nicole

joy

y

Post by joy » Thu May 03, 2007 7:27 am

:smt006
good thoughts on a letter i've had  difficulty with
THANKS

KeLa

Post by KeLa » Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 am

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but I am a numerologist, so I thought I'd post my opinion on this subject since it was a major point of confusion for me.  Here is my "take"...
The letter "Y" is special for many reason, one of them being that it is said to have been added to the Greek alphabet by Pythagoras himself.  It represents a crossroads, points to a desire to learn the deeper mysteries of life, and decisions that will need to be made that may be difficult.  I believe it is, like all of us, evolving.  Because if this evolution, I believe we are at a time where, in most (if not all) case, "Y" should be considered a vowel, since the vowels in numerology point to our deeper, soul selves.  In my experience, especially with younger people, I have come to almost always consider the "Y" a vowel.  Thanks for letting me share my view point.  :)

successgoodhealth

Re: How do you Use "Y"... Do you Treat it as a Vowel or Not ??

Post by successgoodhealth » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:35 pm

ArcherOne wrote:I'm curious how everyone treats the Letter Y....

My teachings are:  You only count the "y" as a vowel IF IT IS NEXT TO A CONSONANT.

Example:  Lynda  -  the "y" - "would be" counted as a vowel as well as the a.
Example:  Yolanda - you "would not" count the "Y" as a vowel, although,
the "Y" would be very strong for this person as it is the cornerstone of the name.

Just my viewpoint...
:smt049

Twenty-Two

Post by Twenty-Two » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:13 am

I think the letter Y signifies a 'fork in the road'. Meaning you can either go the way of the vowel, or the consonant.

For example. I have a Y At the end of my name, if I use it as a vowel, I have a  6 heart's desire; and a 22 Personality.

If I use it as a consonant, I have a 8 heart desire, and a 11 Personality.

yorkmike

the letter Y

Post by yorkmike » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:03 am

I personally use the letter Y as a constanant as I have been brought up this way in England during my schooling. I feel that there is too much confusion using it as a vowel as we are taught from child hood that there are only A,E,I,O,U.  :smt006

phoenixk24

Post by phoenixk24 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:58 am

I think you treat Y as a vowel when there are no other vowels in your name, otherwise u treat it as a consonant.  Sorry if thats been said already.

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:30 am

The vowels are A, E, I, O, and U. All other letters are consonants, except, in some cases, the letter Y.

The letter Y is inherently vacillating in its nature and usage, and consequently is sometimes a vowel, sometimes a consonant, depending upon how it is used in the name.

When determining if the Y is a vowel or a consonant, the basic rule is this:
When the letter serves as a vowel, and in fact sounds like one, it is a vowel. The same is true when the Y serves as the only vowel in the syllable. Examples of both of these cases are such names as Lynn, Yvonne, Mary, Betty, Elly, and Bryan.

However, if the Y does not provide a separate vowel sound, as when it is coupled with another vowel, it is considered a consonant.
In names such as Maloney or Murray, the Y is a consonant, because the vowel sound depends upon the long E in Maloney and the long A in Murray.

In general, the Y is a consonant when the syllable already has a vowel. Also, the Y is considered a consonant when it is used in place of the soft J sound, such as in the name Yolanda or Yoda.
In the names Bryan and Wyatt, the Y is a vowel, because it provides the only vowel sound for the first syllable of both names. For both of these names, the letter A is part of the second syllable, and therefore does not influence the nature of the Y.

More examples:
In Sydney, the first Y is a vowel, the second Y is a consonant.

In Billy, Sylvia, Missy, Kyle, Blythe, Sylvester, and Katy, the Y is a vowel

In Kay, Yeltsin, May, and Kuykendahl, the Y is a consonant.

FireRose

Post by FireRose » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:11 am

drrnwynbchnbrgr,

excellent explanation! THANKS!!! I think that thoroughly answered the question.  :smt003  I was wondering about it too  ...

Return to “Numerology”