Question about the letter 'Y'

For numerology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Twenty-Two

Question about the letter 'Y'

Post by Twenty-Two » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Whats up. When is Y counted as vowel?

My name Is Quincy . Would I count that Y as a vowel, since I already have two vowels in my name?

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:48 pm

he vowels are A, E, I, O, and U. All other letters are consonants, except, in some cases, the letter Y.

The letter Y is inherently vacillating in its nature and usage, and consequently is sometimes a vowel, sometimes a consonant, depending upon how it is used in the name.

When determining if the Y is a vowel or a consonant, the basic rule is this:
When the letter serves as a vowel, and in fact sounds like one, it is a vowel. The same is true when the Y serves as the only vowel in the syllable. Examples of both of these cases are such names as Lynn, Yvonne, Mary, Betty, Elly, and Bryan.

However, if the Y does not provide a separate vowel sound, as when it is coupled with another vowel, it is considered a consonant.
In names such as Maloney or Murray, the Y is a consonant, because the vowel sound depends upon the long E in Maloney and the long A in Murray.

In general, the Y is a consonant when the syllable already has a vowel. Also, the Y is considered a consonant when it is used in place of the soft J sound, such as in the name Yolanda or Yoda.
In the names Bryan and Wyatt, the Y is a vowel, because it provides the only vowel sound for the first syllable of both names. For both of these names, the letter A is part of the second syllable, and therefore does not influence the nature of the Y.

More examples:
In Sydney, the first Y is a vowel, the second Y is a consonant.

In Billy, Sylvia, Missy, Kyle, Blythe, Sylvester, and Katy, the Y is a vowel

In Kay, Yeltsin, May, and Kuykendahl, the Y is a consonant.

wnicholson

Post by wnicholson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Excellent explanation. I, myself, had always wondered!

joker

Post by joker » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm confused in the name .  is the y a con or vowel.

thank you for the answer.
Last edited by joker on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:28 am

in Quincy  i would see it as a vowel

in amaliya i would show it as a consonant

but please work it out both ways if in doubt of the out come

vowels - inner urge or motivation also called inner desire ,secret ambitions, persona; inclinations and soul longing

consonants - inner self or impression also known as passive moods and what youre like when youre alone

y [25]  with this letter in the name the individual is a seeker and research of the mysteries of life. this letter ,similar in shape to a divining rod, indicates a person who craves knowledge of the esoteric, of what lies behind physical,material life. it may be a life of spiritual study and meditation,as well as one of humane service, which leads to great rewards of understanding and wisdom on the higher levels.

the y is also very vacillatiing =to sway to and fro ,to swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another

and also the y is INTUITIVE   the point that i am getting at is  we can look at each letter of our name and start to draw a picture so to say .

so the question could be where does this y fit

nitinsaxena77

Post by nitinsaxena77 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:58 am

you should count Y as vowel. Y is counted as vowel because of increased pronunciation practices. Y as vowel increases the chances of right prediction in this modern era.

Return to “Numerology”