The letter "Y"

For numerology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

7thhousedweller

The letter "Y"

Post by 7thhousedweller » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Hello everyone!

I have a name that ends in "-ey", so it is almost as if together it is a vowel sound. I was wondering how this would be calculated in figuring out the soul urge number, which uses only the vowels in a name, and the karmic number, which uses only the consonants...

enumero123

Post by enumero123 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:42 pm

and the karmic  number, which uses only the consonants...  do you have reference on the following     the y would not be a vowel    trey  verses  try

Ethan

Re: The letter "Y"

Post by Ethan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:40 pm

7thhousedweller wrote:Hello everyone!

I have a name that ends in "-ey", so it is almost as if together it is a vowel sound. I was wondering how this would be calculated in figuring out the soul urge number, which uses only the vowels in a name, and the karmic number, which uses only the consonants...
From decoz:

When determining if the Y is a vowel or a consonant, the basic rule is this:
When the letter serves as a vowel, and in fact sounds like one, it is a vowel. The same is true when the Y serves as the only vowel in the syllable. Examples of both of these cases are such names as Lynn, Yvonne, Mary, Betty, Elly, and Bryan.

However, if the Y does not provide a separate vowel sound, as when it is coupled with another vowel, it is considered a consonant.
In names such as Maloney or Murray, the Y is a consonant, because the vowel sound depends upon the long E in Maloney and the long A in Murray.

In general, the Y is a consonant when the syllable already has a vowel. Also, the Y is considered a consonant when it is used in place of the soft J sound, such as in the name Yolanda or Yoda.
In the names Bryan and Wyatt, the Y is a vowel, because it provides the only vowel sound for the first syllable of both names. For both of these names, the letter A is part of the second syllable, and therefore does not influence the nature of the Y.

More examples:
In Sydney, the first Y is a vowel, the second Y is a consonant.

In Billy, Sylvia, Missy, Kyle, Blythe, Sylvester, and Katy, the Y is a vowel

In Kay, Yeltsin, May, and Kuykendahl, the Y is a consonant.
[/i]

Return to “Numerology”