Description of the houses

Learn about the influence on your life of the planetary positions, and their placement in the various astrological houses.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Dj I.C.U.

Description of the houses

Post by Dj I.C.U. » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:07 am

Most western astrological systems divide the horoscope into a number of (usually twelve) houses whose position depend on the time and location of the initation rather than on the date.
The houses are divisions of the sky (including that part of it hidden beneath the ground) and are usually numbered from the position of the eastern horizon at the time of the observation. The first house would be the division just about to rise, the sixth house would have just set and houses 7 to 12 would be visible in the sky at the time of the horoscope. There are a range of approaches to calculating these divisions and a wide variety of opinion among astrologers over which house system to use.

To calculate the houses it is necessary to know the exact time of the moment. In natal astrology, if the time of birth is unknown some astrologers will use a birth time set for noon or sunrise, but a meaningful interpretation of such a chart cannot be expected.

The houses are departments of life, described in terms of physical surroundings as well as personal life experiences, and many modern astrologers assume that they have some correspondence with their natural sign, i.e. the first house has a natural affinity with the first sign, Aries, and so on.

In quadrant systems houses are classified as angular (1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th), succedent (2nd, 5th, 8th, and 11th), and cadent (3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th). Angular houses represent the potential for action, succedent houses give stability and purpose, cadent houses are communicative and enable change or adaptation.

In old astrological writings (e.g. William Lilly), house could also be used as a synonym for domicile or rulership, as in the sentence "The Moon has its house in Cancer" meaning that Cancer is ruled by the Moon

astrobhadauria

Post by astrobhadauria » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:38 pm

Dear,
Very good artical,and more obligations to you.
Thanks.
Ramendra Singh Bhadauria

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Post Locked. If you want to discuss about this topic, I request you to please make a new post & discuss there.

Return to “Planets and Houses”