New planet is found 9,000 light years away

Learn about the influence on your life of the planetary positions, and their placement in the various astrological houses.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

swetha
Site Admin

New planet is found 9,000 light years away

Post by swetha » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:45 pm

COLUMBUS, Ohio (UPI) -- Scientists report discovering a new planet they call a "super-Earth" in a solar system about 9,000 light-years away from Earth.

The icy and rocky planet weighs 13 times as much as Earth and orbits a star that's about half as big as our sun, National Geographic News reported.

The planet, named OGLE-2005-BLG-169Lb, was discovered in an area such as the one populated by our solar system's gas giants, Jupiter and Saturn. But astronomers believe the newly discovered planet didn't accumulate enough gas to grow to giant proportions.

"We've never been able to see these failed Jupiter cores before," Andrew Gould, an astronomer at Ohio State University in Columbus who is leading the research, told NGN.

He suggests, however, super-Earths are rather common and that about 35 percent of all stars have them.

National Geographic News said the planet's terrestrial nature prompted scientists to call it a "super-Earth," but its distance from its star chills it to minus 330 degrees Fahrenheit, making it too cold for liquid water and, presumably, life.

dailyindia.com/show/7692.php/New-planet-is-found-9000-light-years-away
United Press International

Dj I.C.U.

Post by Dj I.C.U. » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:36 pm

9,000 light years away to far for me :P.Why don't we search for life somewhere closer to home Eg: Europa one of Jupiters satelites.A satelite who has at the surface frozen water.
Attachments
eurint[1].jpg
This cutaway view shows the possible internal structure of Europa
eurint[1].jpg (120.66 KiB) Viewed 2321 times

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:48 am

Sounds good idea, but even then how far away are all of them. & especially how can someone travel 9000, bloody light years away, when we haven't been able to even travel @ the speed of light.

PrincessinVain

Post by PrincessinVain » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:49 am

When we see other planets, we just are in awe of how beautiful they are - their colors, the way they are just so different from our planet in terms of size, color, and composition, but I find our planet the most beautiful of all - because it sustains life :) I wish we could find some planet that has actually life in it - that would be really intruiging! :)

that is such an interesting piece! :) i just wish we could see it up close? hehe :) an impossible thought :)

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:03 am

maybe u will sometime in the future:)

Return to “Planets and Houses”