Has anyone else noticed?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

What part of the world are you from? (The first six options are obviously more specific)

United States
42%
United Kingdom
13%
Australia
13%
New Zealand
No votes
India
7%
Canada
8%
Asia
3%
Eastern Europe
3%
Western Europe
5%
Africa
No votes
Middle East
No votes
South America
3%
Scandinavia
2%

Total votes: 60

+inkerbell

Post by +inkerbell » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:01 am

Well I'm from the US.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:47 am

english is not our first language ( officially!) but i am more comfortable with english than with my national language or mother tongue... or the language of the place i am living in presently!

even though most of the traffic on the board is frm europe and non english speaking countries! but i guess the lack of knowing english may not make people comfortable to post on an english speaking forum.
so lets see what the poll results show us:))

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:28 pm

:grins:: Again, I should have been more clear on what I wrote. It wasn't just about websites.. but a generality. You hear so much about certain people with specific talents and I have noticed a lot of them aren't from the USA, but from those specific countries... mainly the UK.

Modern Spiritualism as an organized religion, philosophy, science began in upper New York USA with 2 Canadian girls.  It was brought to the UK by USA mediums who started journals and demonstrated.  The UK did recognize it as the potential for religion and opened the first Spiritualist church. It is alive and well in North America.  It is even growing.  

As an organization it is a home for psychics and mediums.  It is also an organization for the protection of its psychics and mediums.  The USA national organizations is one of the best in the world.  It offers education for its students and ministers and is striving to bring this spiritual education into mainstream facilities.

I would have to say the USA has TV psychics (not the best example of talent) the same as the UK.  Would anyone consider them the best example of psychic awareness?  For me, they fall flat in their abilities and talents.  How much of it is just plain entertainment?

PurpleRose53

Post by PurpleRose53 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 am

I would have to say the USA has TV psychics (not the best example of talent) the same as the UK.  Would anyone consider them the best example of psychic awareness?  For me, they fall flat in their abilities and talents.  How much of it is just plain entertainment?[/quote]

Here in California we have three TV psychics.
Two of them had their own shows, and one of them is a permanent guest on a talk show.
#1 wanna be tv psychic took 5 days to even complete one 30 minute show. He is a medium who couldn't seem to connect with any entities belonging to the tv audience.

#2 wanna be tv psychic sweated too much when he was doing " readings ".
I went to one of his live readings where a whole bunch of us had to pay $100, and hopefully our loved ones who have crossed over could connect with us. Not to be with this guy. He gave general cold readings that didn't apply to anyone. He was very nervous about me sitting in the first row of seats. He kept looking at me for conformation. I couldn't give it.

#3 wanna be tv guest host psychic is only in it for the big bucks. She's written numerous books, charges up the ying yang for lousey readings, and puts her long fingernails in her mouth alot. She gave a very lousey reading a couple of months back, where she stated on national tv that the 12 year old kidnapped boy was dead. Imagine her chagrin and horror when he was found perfectly happy and healthy. She also has this irritating habit of promoting her son and granddaughter as psychics.

These are just some examples of what we have on tv to entertain us.
Phoney Psychics should be illegal.

shalimar123

Post by shalimar123 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:19 am

the internet has made boundaries useless! does it really matter :smt017

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:27 am

spiritalk wrote::

I would have to say the USA has TV psychics (not the best example of talent) the same as the UK.  Would anyone consider them the best example of psychic awareness?  For me, they fall flat in their abilities and talents.  How much of it is just plain entertainment?
I've always been leery of TV Psychics. For the most part I think they're scam artists and if one is on I'll change the channel because I'm not interested. The news reports of the Miss Cleo debacle was classic.

However, there is one in particular who lives in my neighbourhood that is well-known through out the world who does have his own TV show I feel is authentic... based on first hand experience. The best kept secrets are the ones you keep to yourself and never tell a soul...  For my husbands birthday back in the mid 90's his gift from me was to see this medium (who was not well-known at the time, but came highly recommended) because I felt he needed closure with his father. Unfortunately, since my husband doesn't express himself or talk much, although he spent a lot of time with his dad, they never spoke... so he never got to say good-bye, express or tell him how much he loved him and he felt guilty about it. I felt this was a good gift for him. My husband is the perfect candidate for a reading because he's like Spock from Star Trek, without emotion, except Spock had the gift of gab, my husband doesn't talk at all. So a cold reading does not apply with him since he'll sit there emotionless and not speak a word and just let you talk. This particular psychic told him things about me that not a soul in the world knew, but somehow my father in-law relayed messages to my husband about it and to send a message to me of re-assurance, an inquiry ensued after the reading only to be confirmed. Ooops.. I was found out!  It wasn't anything major, just something I never told him because it happened when his father had just passed and I didn't want to upset or worry him...

I hope this topic hasn't derailed onto strictly TV psychics since that wasn't the only subject matter or my intent. But, we're talking generalities, word of mouth, newspaper advertisements, internet, television.. so it would fall under the realm.. but I hope people do not perceive my question as strictly TV.

A lot of good points have been mentioned, such as language barrier and format which could be a major factor... so someone could be highly recommended through word of mouth, but if you don't speak the language, how would one know? You wouldn't.  

Thanks for input and the abstract thinking, spiritalk... some food for thought. I wasn't even aware Modern Spiritualism was an organized religion until you mentioned it. You learn something new every day! :) And thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.
shalimar123 wrote::

the internet has made boundaries useless! does it really matter
It may not matter to you, but I am curious and that's why it matters. It's why I asked the question.  It wasn't a dire need to know, but a general inquiry to gather some statistics based on what I've observed and to gather a general consensus.

phoenixfiredragon

Post by phoenixfiredragon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:12 am

USA represent haha

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:40 pm

the unsung in any field are often found out of the limelight - the same with psychics.  Those that get Involved with TV have a need for ego stroking.  The other psychics available do so with a more spiritual intent.

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:02 pm

Angelique, I know this is off-topic, & I apologise for it, but is that a snake which is eating its tail & forming the infinity symbol there??

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi Vishwas-

It is an eternity symbol with a snake skin design. Because it is modified to a smaller scale as an avatar you can't really see the clear bubbles, which are supposed to be reflections of light off the lense of a camera..  The symbol was added into the picture after it was taken... which from what you see looks like a snake head. I have the original picture if you would like to see it -pm me and I'll send it to you. The artist is A.L. Fuhrmann.
Vishwas wrote:Angelique, I know this is off-topic, & I apologise for it, but is that a snake which is eating its tail & forming the infinity symbol there??

Return to “General Discussion”