Neuro Linguistic Therapy

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

T Needham

Neuro Linguistic Therapy

Post by T Needham » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:10 pm

I have recently started NLT but have found many negative articles about it on the web.
Has anyone found this treatment sucessful?

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:28 pm

NLT is used in psychiatry for clients who have difficulty talking through very difficult emotional experiences (childhood abuse especially).  It can allow the client to gain control of their emotions and work their way through difficult times without falling apart.  It helps with the therapeutic alliance.

stan

NLT

Post by stan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:44 pm

suzisco wrote:NLT is used in psychiatry for clients who have difficulty talking through very difficult emotional experiences (childhood abuse especially).  It can allow the client to gain control of their emotions and work their way through difficult times without falling apart.  It helps with the therapeutic alliance.

NLT=NLP I HAVEN'T READ THE ARTICLES BUT THE NEGATIVE WOULD BE IN THE AREA OF COVERT ACTIVITY ON PART OF THE THERAPIST, UNKNOWN BY THE PATIENT. IF THIS IS EXPLAINED TO THE PATIENT PRIOR TO TREATMENT IT WOULD BE DEEMED ETHICAL. NLP OR NLT IS A VERY POWERFULL ART OF PERSUASION AND BECAUSE IT (NLP-NLT) WORKS ON A SUBCONCIOUS LEVEL RAISES MORE ETHICAL QUESTIONS AND I MIGHT ADD THEY DO NEED TO BE ADDRESSED. I WOULD IMAGINE THE RESISTANCE TO NLP, OR NLT ALSO IS IN THE FACT THAT THE PRACTITIONER USES EMBEDDED COMMANDS ON A SUBCONCIOUS LEVEL. PAYS TO BE WISE! A pencil is a great tool, give it to a criminal-it's a weapon!

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:31 pm

There is negative in all things and just because a criminal uses a pencil as a weapon doesn't mean we stop children using them in class, if we had that attitude we would be a very strange race of retarded neurotic people.

Not everyone uses NLP unethically and certainly here where i work its explained very clearly.  

I perhaps chose my previous words unwisely and should have put the caveat that in my practice and experience NLP is used ethically however i cannot speak for other countries practices only my own.

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:10 am

suzisco wrote:There is negative in all things and just because a criminal uses a pencil as a weapon doesn't mean we stop children using them in class, if we had that attitude we would be a very strange race of retarded neurotic people.

Not everyone uses NLP unethically and certainly here where i work its explained very clearly.  

I perhaps chose my previous words unwisely and should have put the caveat that in my practice and experience NLP is used ethically however i cannot speak for other countries practices only my own.

Retarded! Neurotic! Strong language! Saying things I didn't say!
The pencil= Simply points ( :) ) that it should not be used for example to propagate one's religion, or for that matter any personal gain, whether that be negative or positive. I did not imply you, Suzisco. I'm sure there is a standard set. Please use not psychological labels to punish and demean my character, or imply, that I'm any of the above. I responded to the questioner and used your quote and added my comments as your quote raised none of the issues of concern.  As an observer, and knowing that you are very bright, it seemed you just side-stepped answering the questions.. I would have thought that the topic ( aside personal feelings) NLP and NLT and all the ethical questions, would have made a great discussion! What do I know..

Flemm

Post by Flemm » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:26 am

i have read some books about NLP and found it very interesting. Everything has its good points and its bad points. The most important thing is that YOU use it wisly

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:31 pm

There is a group teaching religious practices (most confused ideas to be sure) through NLP practices.  The student puts in the time for the input and does not do any research or work on their own to express what they have learned or understand from their programming.  My concern....as an educational tool it is programming for sure and we might consider what is being programmed?

sladoled77

NLP

Post by sladoled77 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:26 pm

absolutely! But it all depend how do you apply on. You need to be detailed if you want some one to help you with it.

bluebell10

nlt etc

Post by bluebell10 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:27 am

i will have to read about it again .there are adverts about nlt. (how to meditate like a monk etc)from what i read i couldnt handle it.
seems to be a mixture of hypnotherapy and something else i cant remember. therapy appeared very strong/effective.

patients could be used as guinea pigs etc unknowingly.
could be used as an interragation technique by military psychiatrists or psychologists.

its good to hear from someone using the therapy

Return to “General Discussion”