what do you think of interracial marriages

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:34 am

[quote="glampunkbarbiedoll"]I think it's good but you may have to work harder at it. I can be hard to not listen to comments from other. It's about love though not culture or race. But being from the same background is usually easier from people[/quote]

Dear Friend,

Please allow me to disagree.

I think 'marriages' and equivalent unions, while very important life-experiences have been overly micromanaged and prescriptively so, by mainstream/prevailing societies! And we all know that societies change over time and cycle over very long periods. And so do our societal preferences and what is acceptable and what is not! You are fortunate really because even though at your age you may feel a lot of flux and uncertainty around you in the current society, such flexibility and fluidity represents a TIME when growth and change is happening. I hope and request you that you use this opportunity to contribute to this change and changing times!

Blessings,
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

bharatmahan

Post by bharatmahan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Inter-racial marriages hypothetically should not be any different from intra-racial marriages, they should on the contrary be more successful since they will be between partners who love each other and decide to solemnise and legalise their love for society to see and approve.

But after the hurrahs and after the celebrations, do the different cultures and religious beliefs get in the way of love. Do the parents and elders let the united couple live in peace. I am wondering whether I will let my son follow his wife's religion and faith or make his life hellish by criticising his wife's religious tenets.

May God guide me.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:44 pm

[quote="bharatmahan"]Inter-racial marriages hypothetically should not be any different from intra-racial marriages, they should on the contrary be more successful since they will be between partners who love each other and decide to solemnise and legalise their love for society to see and approve.

But after the hurrahs and after the celebrations, do the different cultures and religious beliefs get in the way of love. Do the parents and elders let the united couple live in peace. I am wondering whether I will let my son follow his wife's religion and faith or make his life hellish by criticising his wife's religious tenets.

May God guide me.[/quote]

Good, thoughtful post!
About love, yes such marriages (as opposed to arranged ones) would tend to be based on *love* and so must have better prospects and prognosis. However, the so called love is not a static or 100% pure state and changes, other agendae surface and the gold-plated shine wears out. In some cases where the marriage does not work out and bitterness begins to show. If we have seen that once, we have seen that hundreds of times.
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

lighting strikes twice

Post by lighting strikes twice » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:27 pm

May we give all to God and thank God for all He has given

KHEM

LONGLIVE OPENMINDEDNESS!!!!

Post by KHEM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:19 pm

loll!that's a heavy debate! :)

I believe choices should be made depending on principles rather than appearances.

To put it blatantly : you should choose your spouse depending on the values that they accept and live with, not because of what the so-called "society" thinks so or not.

That's a "mysticboard", so we all know that your mind controls your life, not "society"...of course unless you think the opposite :)

Spiritual Growth is not possible without openmindedness.  :smt018 :)

Unless you have Spiritual Growth as a goal in life, then yes, you can spend your time and energy caring about what "society" thinks.

Before all, it requires that both individuals be strong in mind and with an unconditional love for each other. If those are lacking in a "mixed" couple, then it is bound to fail sooner or later because of "what they say"
Contrary to popular beliefs, you do not lose your identity or who you are when you go with somebody from another race, caste or whatnot. Of course there is loss of something...but that something is "ignorance, selfishness and stupidity". If you are afraid of losing those then yes, interracial marriages are not great!

Look at the wonderful examples of interracial marriages : David Bowie and Iman .Seal and Heidi Klum...just to name a few
You mentioned "English woman" and how you were looked in England. No country is safe from ignorance :) loll!

Look at the wonderful examples of interracial marriages brought along : Tiger Woods,Quincy Jones children and many others round the world

Of course ,interracial marriages have its negative aspects...those aspects are only seen by people who think that there is still "a pure race" :) and that it shouldn't be "mixed" with others. Those who think like that are fanatics and slaves of traditions .Those  are bound to grow up sooner or later, whether they want it or not.

Now. to end up with that question, ask sincerely yourself : Am I in this life to be bound to tradition and never grow or Am I in it to grow Spiritually ?

Once you find out, then you will have found the answer to the question that started this post, never before! :)
Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Shortyfrm

Post by Shortyfrm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Being that I am of Cuban/Black descent....and my husband is caucasian, I would have to say that not only they are good but they work also.

I have two beautiful children and a very happy marriage....the only time that interracial relationship don't work is when someone in the family isn't willing to accept it....other than that....they work wonderful....it doesn't matter the color or race of an individual when love is involved....love afterall sees all things thru.

Hope my answer helped.

blessings to you and yours.

Shortyfrm

KHEM

Post by KHEM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:54 pm

Thanks for your example!
Stay Healthy,Holy,Humble and Hungry! :)

glampunkbarbiedoll

Re: a final word

Post by glampunkbarbiedoll » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:26 am

afraafra wrote:It seems to me interracial marriages is ok with people of color but unacceptable with white people, and there is nothing wrong with that to each his own..
for some reason white people are usually more racist than blacks.

glampunkbarbiedoll

Post by glampunkbarbiedoll » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:34 am

mgt7274 wrote:they dont work the children dont know if they are black or white that can do their heads in
that's not them. It's society. they expect people to  choose and only fit into a certain life.

Vishwas
Site Admin

Re: LONGLIVE OPENMINDEDNESS!!!!

Post by Vishwas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:31 pm

KHEM wrote:loll!that's a heavy debate! :)

I believe choices should be made depending on principles rather than appearances.

To put it blatantly : you should choose your spouse depending on the values that they accept and live with, not because of what the so-called "society" thinks so or not.

Now. to end up with that question, ask sincerely yourself : Am I in this life to be bound to tradition and never grow or Am I in it to grow Spiritually ?

Once you find out, then you will have found the answer to the question that started this post, never before! :)
Great post KHEM, I liked ur reply, always the best huh? Nice to see u here. Take Care.

Samson

Post by Samson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 pm

To be honest I haven't given interracial marriages much thought, never had to.

wishiknew

Post by wishiknew » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Inter racial marriages!!!! All that matters is whether 2 people love each other....to my mind we all worship or come from the same entity irrispective of race or creed God is God no matter where you are from
We cannot change the past...what's happened has happened...our thoughts are what have brought us to this point in our lives...it is possible to change our thoughts and create the future of our dreams!!!!!!

KHEM

Post by KHEM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:48 pm

loll! Thanks Vishwas! I like the "I have always been outnumbered, but never been & never will be outgunned." That's the Griffin "speaking" :)

To pursue on the subject, in the same spirit as what wishiknew well said,
I'll add that It's a matter of thinking like a Spiritual being or a mortal. Both have different priorities and focus.

Depending on one's choice, there are certain fears that you will need to cast off forever or accept forever. You can't have both
Attachments
live_faith-light_world.jpg
live_faith-light_world.jpg (6.9 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

lighting strikes twice

Post by lighting strikes twice » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:25 pm

The purpose of marriage should be - two souls united with a common purpose and that purpose should be to help one another - to know God. All other motives will lead to much unneeded suffering.

KHEM

Post by KHEM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:09 pm

lighting strikes twice wrote:The purpose of marriage should be - two souls united with a common purpose and that purpose should be to help one another - to know God. All other motives will lead to much unneeded suffering.
Now, I am sure the lighting that stroke you twice made you enlightened :)
Thanks for your (light) insight!
Stay Healthy,Holy,Humble and Hungry! :)

Return to “General Discussion”