Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

luvislikeh2o

Can one give love but not receive it?

Post by luvislikeh2o » Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 pm

Can one give love but not receive it?

Example man or woman gives love to family, friends, strangers in need
but a man or woman comes along an gives him or her love but they do
not accept.

So is it possible to give love and not accept / receive love?

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Tue May 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi,
You are saying accept.  I think we all have a choice as to where we accept/be open to receiving love.
So, yes, person can give love to a person and choose not to receive love from that same person.

Can a person give love and not be able to receive love?  That is a challenging idea for me.
For me I would have to say a person has to be able to receive love at least from their Soul, their Spirit self.
It would be sad to not be able to receive love.

Is there a difference.  Yea, for me there is.  I can't imagine being broken so one is not able to receive.

soul_flower

Post by soul_flower » Wed May 21, 2008 1:17 am

I think it is possible for people to put blocks up and not accept love in their life......For me i have been single for a while and i give love to my son,family,friends....But i will not accept love from a man who may enter my life now as im in no way ready to do that....It actually scares me and maybe makes me sick to a point,love,no way..I hope in time that how i feel passes.......I think some people are so used to not being able to let love into their life they forget what it is and become lonely and sad..To stop receiving love totally and not let someone special love you for a long time would be a shame....I think its important to have some sort of love in someones life,be it kids,pets,family or whatever.

Tamara :o)

karlenespellman

Post by karlenespellman » Wed May 21, 2008 2:14 am

Soul Flower-- your a dear.
You will love again and again. You will learn to accept the lessons and the great feeling,
and use the break ups to make you a stronger person.

love like water----

I have a person so in love with me that he embarasses himself. I have been straight forward and up=front with him, like I am with everyone.

He barely makes the friend meter with all of his stuff.

He is a great guy, and would be a great friend, if that is what he wanted.

I have no feelings for him.

So from my side --yes this could be-- keep in mind, I have never loved anyone who didn't care for me.
I have no basis to answer that side of the question.

Lots of love and good luck to you.

karlene

void

Post by void » Wed May 21, 2008 3:44 am

well that question is revealing in and of itself.

I was in a relationship that wasn t very loving ;active alcohalism.
very draining & emotionally abusive .

before this question I truely believed that I was loving,
but I was surviving ,sure i loved her but I was getting sour.

If I only expressed love ,Im thinking that thats what would come back to me,

I rejected her actions , but mybe I rejected her too.

I believe love always comes back to us

good question???

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed May 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Love is an energy.  We must be open to receive or give.  Being locked in our own thoughts, emotions, feelings does not get it done.  They are two different actions - giving and receiving - and being able to do both is sometimes not a balance in a person.

soul_flower

Post by soul_flower » Thu May 22, 2008 1:12 am

Karlene - Thankyou,i'm sure i will too in time but i know im not ready yet....Im enjoying being on my own and getting fit,healthy and happy...Plus my focus is my son and study,cant have love making it complicated lol.

Tamara :o)

luvislikeh2o

Soul Flower I too focus on my children

Post by luvislikeh2o » Thu May 22, 2008 8:55 pm

When I was starting out as a mother, my divorce was the only option I had, so after the marriage ended I decided to focus my innerself healing, balancing, my children and other family and friends. Behold it has been almost 15 years alone but NOT LONELY with an adult child and a teenager and happy.  Over the years I have sought to understand spiritual element, universal laws, balance. Over the course of my search I have been learning to detach and surrender.

Spirittalk could you please elaborate on the last sentence of your statement I do not want to misinterpret it.

I appreciate everyones knowledge it is assisting me in my enlightenment.

Peace and Love

Salma

Marion

Post by Marion » Sat May 24, 2008 4:10 am

Hi Salma    :smt006
I think you must be open to both to be able to live a balanced life.  To receive love you must give love.  
As one of my favourite bands wrote (showing my age here...LOL).
"Love is like oxygen".
As I get older, the more I open myself up to things, one being love, I receive much more in return.  

Hugs
Marion

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sat May 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Can we always give and receive?  Is one stronger than the other?  Do we do one more than another?  To balance ourselves, we look to a balance of give and take.

sweetbelle

Giving love

Post by sweetbelle » Sat May 24, 2008 4:35 pm

I would have to agree with most of the statements people are sharing. However I would like to add that sometimes love is confused for other feelings. We think we may be giving love but in actuality it may be another amourous feeling that is disguised as love lust, desire want or need. I think this is what makes the other person repel the supposed love we are  giving.
Love is only real if it is from the heart and usually the other person knows that it exisists, both of your energies are lined up and ready to receive each other.

I think sometimes we give what we percieve as being love. but love is complicated and never simple. Maybe I sound a little jaded having just had an experience myself. That I want to believe that is not over yet.
Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts.
Tanya :)

squeaky

Post by squeaky » Sun May 25, 2008 1:26 am

if you do not have the ability to love yourself it would probably create problems in your ability to share love. here my belief follows an ideal that says love is not giving or receiving so much as sharing. competitive relationships are built around a concept of give an receive, so to give with an expectation of receiving, in itself, is not love. even if that is what you call it. Sharing is joyful and cannot help but be a positive experience.

MangoTango

Post by MangoTango » Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am

love is confusing to me. what if you gave love but it didnt seem like you were getting it back? I was or maybe i should say still going through a situation where i was focus on that certain person. This person was my world but it wasn't the same on his end. Now i'm exhausted from giving my all. I feel like I have given up on love. i feel a lil off. How do u balance that?

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed May 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Distance the love.  We can always send love and we should never allow any of it to deplete us as it is the glue of the universe.  

It is our own expectations that want it reciprocated and that is from the ego.  Love is from deeper.  Love does not own or control.

karlenespellman

Post by karlenespellman » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 pm

Mango Tango.
I have been there. 4 ex-husbands. I decided to just live for myself
and my kids. No Love. Love was just a feeling that always faded.
I have to agree with Sweetbelle, mine must have just been lust, ect..

7 months ago, I found my boyfriend now, but I have known him for 10 years.
Thing and people made it impossible for us to get together back then. Also back
then I know it was just lust.

We are now together. I feel for the 1st time in my life, that I am actually "in love".
I have never felt this before.

All you need to do, focus on you and your family.
Love will show up when you least expect it.( mine 4 years).
But well worth the wait.

Lots of love to you.
Karlene

Return to “General Discussion”