FOR THOSE BORN BETWEEN 1920-1979

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

FOR THOSE BORN BETWEEN 1920-1979

Post by Pravin Kumar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:39 am

[size=24

FOR THOSE BORN 1920-1979

READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies ! or DVD's , no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms....... .

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so 'm u c h' of our lives for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

* The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us.... go ahead and delete this.

For the rest of us... pass this ON!

][/size]

karlenespellman

Post by karlenespellman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:44 am

Thank you Pravin!
I have taught my kids these things. They are out of the "norm" because of it.
I will always follow God/godess/ Diety, so that I will never take these for granted.

Thank you for making me remember.
Lots of love to you.
karlene

white_feather_dancing

Post by white_feather_dancing » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 pm

I agree totally. They don't want prayer or moments of silence in schools, but can you beloieve that these same schools will rent their auditoriums out to churches for events? They want to take God out of the schools, etc, but they will still accept God's money!!!!

mietooo

Post by mietooo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:17 am

I totally agree with all of you, but what can be done?  Everything seems to only get worse.

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! It's absolutely true! Thanks for the memories and also for reminding me that if I survived that I should be more than ok now. lol

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

earthfairy

So true!

Post by earthfairy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:29 am

What a wonderful reading!  I remember doing all those things, and I'm still alive!  hahahahahaha  excellent posting.

gurujames5

Post by gurujames5 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:01 am

Those were the days!!!  Thanks so much for posting this...the kids could never imagine the world was once this simple and enjoyable.

Gothessa

Thank you, everything written was true.

Post by Gothessa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 am

It was the same in my country Sweden at that time, you could play outside and
go to the store for ice creams, and noone would kidnap you :-) cause all the neighboroughs kept an eye on each others kids and bicycles and so on.
As a child you felt very safe like that.
And you had a lot of respect for older people/neighboroughs, not like today!

Thank you for letting me remember, I will pass this on to all that I know and let them pass it on to!

Hugs

lhines9

Great memories!

Post by lhines9 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:06 pm

I had not thought of this, in this way, in so long!!  What great memories this blog brought back for me!  I am going to list this and make sure that my kids have fun like we used to!!  Thank you for reminding me!

babeintown

Post by babeintown » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:12 am

how time has gone... i miss the old days...it's true, when my yournger age, I stay in small remote village, and my house front door is wide open since morning to late evening... and kids are playing and I will never forget that... thank god too that I'm still alive today... and I have kids.. and always worry about them.. about their safety and their health....

Pandora1151

Post by Pandora1151 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:48 pm

LMAO!!  :smt005  So true!!

roblee8

A Free Life

Post by roblee8 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:53 am

Yep, life was free and easy, we even got smacked, sometimes it was the wrong one that got smacked, but mum said that's for the time I didn't catch you out before. There were no spoilt tantrums or we'd get something to cry for. But it showed us how to respect and not take advantage or believe that it was only about us, it was about the family as a whole.

sheryl

to all the kids

Post by sheryl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:20 pm

WOW!!!!!!
I had forgotton how much fum I actually had growing up, I have sent this off to everyone I know.
We should be ashamed of ourselves for not giving our children the freedom and fun and joy of life we had.
We are bringing up a generation of whiners and whingers who expect us to be at their beck and call - who cannot entertain themselves if there is no TV, or video games and such like. A cell phone is as important as wearing clothes.
Hide your cellphone or switch it off for 2 weeks - you will never be beholden to it again.
Go outside with your kids - climb a tree! jump in puddles!

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:53 am

Dear Pravinji,

Wonderful post of sharing our childhood memories.Thanks a lot for sharing.I always tell this to my son . We born in this period are really very lucky .

Regards,

Miss victoria

Post by Miss victoria » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:44 am

The last of the Kind! I m saying this everyday,I see my younger cousin,and his friend and I nod to him.You don t have an idea how I remember all that every day!It was lovely times.I missed.

I see kids that play with these new games now.Today,I drink my coffee in this cold sunday morning and I read about the anniversary of Lego games.I had such games.We had to use our fantasy to build constructions,you know.Now look how things have changed.My brother s daughter goes at a computer kidergarden!

When I was 19,I was walking down the road in the centre of Athens,and observe d someone talking on his own.I said to my mother"Mum,people get mad!talking in the streets on their own!"I got scared but it was the first time I saw someone using a mobile phone hunging on his ear of course.I didn t see it!

I will never forget the freedom I had playing ouside with friends,the innonence of those times.We were communicating at each other,we were not isolated!I can t stand this today!

I say we are the last of the kind and we have something to do about it!I transmit my own experiences to the others,when is possible!
Love and Peace miss victoria
Attachments
dm22.tmp.jpg
dm22.tmp.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

Return to “General Discussion”